Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is London like in January? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: What is London like in January?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-15-2007 03:18 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been invited to be a speaker at a professional photographers convention in London in mid January next year and was wondering what is it like at that time of the year in that city? How cold will it be and what kind of weather can I expect? I intend to fly to London from either Los Angeles or San Francisco after flying from Honolulu on United Airlines and would like to know the flight time to London from the US west coast and back again. I was told it is a very long flight and even longer on the way back. My hosts will be covering all traveling expenses including lodging and some expenses during most of the time I will be there and I do intend to have a good time because this will be my first European trip.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2007 03:43 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
How cold will it be and what kind of weather can I expect?
Colder than Hawaii. [Big Grin]

I intend to fly to London from either Los Angeles or San Francisco after flying from Honolulu on United Airlines and would like to know the flight time to London from the US west coast and back again. I was told it is a very long flight and even longer on the way back.
If non-stop, about nine hours or so getting there. As for the return, typically east-to-west trans-Atlantic flights are about an hour longer than their west-to-east counterpart flight.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-15-2007 03:57 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

My non stop flight to London from San Francisco or Los Angeles and back will not be Trans Atlantic but will be the polar route and I understand it will be much longer than nine hours.

-Claude

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-15-2007 04:30 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

It's really not possible to say what the weather will be like, it varies so much. Very severe winters are unusual, though they do happen, 1963 was one I remember, and there was another maybe 15-20 years ago.

At worst, daytime temperatures are likely to be from a few degrees below freezing, to quite comfortable, though you probably wouldn't want to go out without a coat. When the sky is clear temperatures tend to drop quite rapidly after sunset. Temperatures below freezing are quite likely overnight We don't get a lot of snow here, but it's more likely in January than in any other month; snow before, or during, Christmas is unusual. A small amount of snow does seem to cause more disruption here than in other countries.

I don't know about the flight time; London to New York takes about seven hours, returning East getting on for an hour less, so you are talking about a long flight whichever way round you go; I would guess that you're looking at something like an 11 hour flight.

Will you be hiring a car or using public transport, and which airport will you be arriving at; what part of London will you be staying in?

One thing you should be prepared for, London is very expensive, most things seem to cost about twice as much as they do in New York.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2007 04:39 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My non stop flight to London from San Francisco or Los Angeles and back will not be Trans Atlantic but will be the polar route and I understand it will be much longer than nine hours.

I believe it is still considered a trans-Atlantic flight.

Regardless, why should the so-called Polar Route take longer? The Polar Route is precisely why it won't take much longer than the duration you've been told.

I've flown to and from Europe eight times in my life. A couple of them were non-stop, and my recollection is that Los Angeles to Frankfurt was ten hours, and Frankfurt to Los Angeles was eleven. Considering the Polar Route, it would appear that L.A. to London is a shorter distance than L.A. to Frankfurt (but not by much), and if you fly out of San Francisco it would be even shorter.

I've never flown to London directly from L.A. The last time I flew to London, I went L.A. to Vancouver and then Vancouver to London, the duration being 2 1/2 or 3 hours to Vancouver and then I think seven to London.

I'd also like to add that during that Vancouver to London flight, I experienced something that I thought was pretty cool: pitch black looking out one side of the plane, and daylight out the other side. (This was a night flight during the month of July.)

[ 04-15-2007, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-15-2007 07:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flight times vary significantly according to the weather and routing. Atlantic flights typically take a 'Great Circle' routing (here is San Francisco to London Heathrow), to take advantage of the smaller curve of the earth the further north you go from the Equator, which reduces the overall distance. I do Amsterdam to Minneapolis and back two or three times a year: the westbound flight typically takes between 8h and 9h, while the return journey is usually between 7h15 and 8h15. I think the Eastbound flights are quicker because the Gulf Stream gives you a headwind - I'm sure Paul Mayer could explain the technicalities of this, if he's lurking anywhere nearby. I've never done a Europe to West Coast in one hop, but understand that, very roughly, it's 9-10 hours eastbound and 10-11 westbound.

Agreed completely with Stephen about the cost of living in ripoff Britain. The cost of most consumer goods and services here is about the same in pounds as it is in the US in dollars, but the exchange rate is around $1.90 to the pound.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude
I have done the London to LA direct flights quite often. Eastbound is usually around 10 hours and just over 11 Westbound.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2007 10:31 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering, would a Honolulu-Seattle-London flight be shorter? Would a Honolulu-Anchorage-London be shorter still? The longest U.S. route would be Honolulu-L.A.-Miami-London.

But L.A. or San Francisco makes Sense due to the numerous flights to London.

London at 50 degrees will seem colder than Denver at 50 degrees. Plus you spend more time outside walking to the Underground or hailing a cab than you do in the States climbing from your air-conditioned home, to your attached garage, to your air-conditioned car, to your air-conditioned house.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-15-2007 10:52 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are no direct flights from Anchorage to Europe that I could find. When I visited Anchorage last October the only way of doing it was via the major US airlines' lower 48 hubs. I went on Northwest via Minneapolis (MSP to ANC is 6-7 hours), because NW/KLM is the only airline which offers through international tickets from the most convenient airport to where I live (Teesside) apart from Shitish Airways (oops, Freudian slip). If you start at a little English regional airport, the ticket for an intercontinental trip typically costs £50-100 more than if you made your own way to the nearest big hub (which in my case would be Manchester), but it'll cost you that (if not more) to get there and spend the night before flying in a hotel if necessary, so I find that including the MME-AMS hop into the ticket actually saves money and hassle in the long run.

Attempting to transfer through London Heathrow is a nightmare - for example, they won't check your hold luggage through if you're transferring between terminals - and well worth an extra hour on the timetabled journey time to avoid. Amsterdam Schiphol is all one terminal under one roof - very easy and stress-free for transfers.

Like Ian said, you'll be using public transport almost exclusively in downtown (central) London. Once you've got over the shock of how much it costs to hire a car and put petrol (gasoline) in it, you have to pay an £8 per day 'congestion charge' to drive a car within the central area, and unless your hotel includes parking as part of the room rate, expect to pay £20-30 to park.

Most places are within 30 minutes walk of each other, and if you'd prefer not to walk, the Tube (nickname for subway - it's officially called the Underground) and bus networks are extensive - they cover almost everywhere in the city and immediate suburbs you're likely to want to visit - and are reasonably reliable. But, like everything in Britain, they ain't cheap. On a recent visit to stay with a friend, I paid £4 (about $7.50) one-way from London City Airport to Russell Square: this compares with the $2 I paid last week on the 'T' from Logan Airport to Copley Square in Boston!

quote: Stephen Furley
Very severe winters are unusual, though they do happen, 1963 was one I remember, and there was another maybe 15-20 years ago.
1991-92 sticks in my memory, which was the last winter I lived in London. The journey from my home in Wimbledon to the sixth form college near Hampton Court involved a mile-long walk across a golf course from Esher station, and I remember it being snow covered for two to three weeks in succession. The winter of 1995-96 was also pretty harsh: I was living in Norwich at the time, and remember that you'd wake up to see snow on the ground for weeks rather than days. But there hasn't been anything like those two winters in the decade since.

Edited to answer Stephen's point about cold winters.

[ 04-15-2007, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Leo Enticknap ]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 01:11 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for your most useful information. Stephen, I will be staying at the Novotel in the Hammersmith district of London and I understand it is about ten miles from Heathrow International Airport and near your subway stations. No, I will not be renting a car or have any intention of driving but I might do a lot of walking if it is not too cold outside. I did a lot of walking in Tokyo once and hope I do not get lost like I did in the Japanese capitol. Even if the flight to London is about ten to eleven hours long from the west coast, I would have been in the air almost five hours when I fly to the coast from Hawaii. When you add the connection time on the ground, it will take me almost twenty hours to get to London While in London, I would like to see most of the famous sites of the city and might buy a bus tour ticket if I can find the time after I am finished presenting my convention program. One of the things I would like to do if possible is to see if I can purchase classical music CDs in London that are not available in the US and was wondering how expensive are they compared to the US.

-Claude

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-16-2007 01:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That kind of CDs costs more or less the same everywhere. That's why we don't but them in stores anymore. We buy them online. Online stores like amazon.com often have good deals, you can find many CDs new for much less than the typical list price, or used in very good condition, often for a ridiculously low price. I have no idea if shipping to Hawaii adds substantially to the costs though. You can also get a lot of classical CDs for very good prices (including many titles which are out of print in the Western World) from hmv.co.jp and other online sellers in Japan. They have an English version of their webpage. The nice thing is that shipping costs aren't that high at all, and if you order several items, the overall shipping cost per item goes down (unlike many online stores which charge you standard shipping rates even if you order several items at once). Again, I have no idea if the shipping costs to Hawaii are different from those to the continental US (they might even be less), but in general, hmv.co.jp has fair rates and the shipping is amazingly fast. I had a package here once within 4 days (!) - that was their standard shipping, not an upgrade.

What you can do in London is go to live concerts. The "classical" scene there is incredible. They have several top class orchestras (London Symphony, London Philharmonic, Philharmonia, Royal Philharmonic, BBC Symphony) and dozens of freelance ensembles, including several which play on historical instruments, plus orchestras typically stop by in London when they are on tour, and orchestras from other parts of the UK visit the capital regularly to present themselves. So there are tons of concerts going on everywhere all the time, at the Barbican Centre, at the Royal Festival Hall and in many other venues. I think London has the liveliest "classical" scene in the world, apart from Berlin.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2007 01:40 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could go someday. Other than Italy, England would be my choice. I just hate planes, so I don't see myself going there anytime soon.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 02:01 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Because of my semi retired status, I do not buy too many CDs like I used to because of a tight budget I have set for myself for non essential things but I do buy some from my BMG membership using mail order. I have also purchased a few from Amazon and you are right, they are very reasonably priced.

I love live music and used to be a season subscriber to the Honolulu Symphony and the Hawaii Opera Theatre for years. During those years, I got to see many great artist and even modern day composers who have since passed on includig Aram khachaturian, Igor Stranvinsky and Aaron Copland when they appeared with our orchestra. I also attended concerts by the Vienna Philharmonic with Herbert Von Karajan and the New York Philharmonic under Leonard Bernstein when they came to Honolulu on tour. It would be nice to see and hear the many great European orchestras you had mentioned but sadly, lack of time will prevent me from seeing them when I am in London.

-Claude

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 06:30 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hammersmith is about half way between Heathrow and the city centre: a 20-30 minute tube ride from Central London, and about the same from Heathrow (in the opposite direction). You should have no problem (apart from the cost) with buses and tubes from Hammersmith to wherever you're trying to get to within London.

Agreed with Michael that you're unlikely to find many CDs that aren't available in the US and/or through Amazon, but you probably will find DVDs of European films that aren't published or readily available in the US. They'll be PAL and Region 2, though, so only buy if you have a multi-region player, plus a TV that can accept a PAL signal or a DVD player which fully converts the picture to NTSC.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be staying at the Novotel in the Hammersmith district of London and I understand it is about ten miles from Heathrow International Airport and near your subway stations. No, I will not be renting a car or have any intention of driving but I might do a lot of walking if it is not too cold outside.
Avoiding driving is something I would recommend. The traffic in London can be pretty bad, and driving in a country you're not familiar with is something that demands a lot of concentration, you can't really look at anything of interest while you're driving. Something important if you're walking, remember that traffic drives on the left here; when I went to America I found it very difficult to get used to this, and to look in the right direction for approaching traffic.

Hammersmith is served directly from Heathrow by the Underground, it's on the Piccadilly line, the dark blue one on the map. Transport for London have a website at www.tfl.gov.uk, and maps and a journey planner are available at this page: web page . If you download the Tube Map and look at it, Heathrow is on the dark blue loop near the bottom left, and if you follow this line to the point where the pink Hammersmith & City line almost meets it, that is Hammersmith. The Journey Planner gives thirty minutes for this journey, which sounds about right. If you don't want to use the Underground, then I would suggest taking a taxi; I don't know what that would cost, I haven't used one for years. I wouldn't recommend the bus; there isn't a direct route, you would need to take either two or three buses, depending on which route you took; not really a good itea in a unfamiliar city, and when carrying luggage. There is now a main-line railway from Heathrow, but it goes to central London and doesn't serve Hammersmith, so it's not much use to you. It's also very expensive.

For travelling around London generally the buses are quite good; many of them are double-deckers, and you get a good view from the top deck. Try to avoid travelling in Central London at peak times, about 7-9 am and 4-6 pm if you can; just about any means of transport will be very crowded, and not very pleasant, at these times.

There are several companies who offer guided walks around parts of London; this one London Walks has been around for many years, and is good.

It would be nice to see and hear the many great European orchestras you had mentioned but sadly, lack of time will prevent me from seeing them when I am in London.

If you're coming all that way, can't you arrange to stay for a few extra days?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: