Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » SBC Global DSL SUCKS! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: SBC Global DSL SUCKS!
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-13-2007 01:17 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm soooo f*cking sick and tired of their shitty service and outages that I'm ready to change.

Anyone have suggestions for reliable hi-speed DSL supplier in the Hollywood/Los Angeles area?

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 02:51 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had 0 problems with SBC in 3 locations. Any issue with their reliability, I believe, is related to line conditions or a fault modem only...

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 04:06 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently use Cox High Speed Internet Service & they are great. I've had a few problems, but, got those resolved with virtually no problems & the customer service is great. I would recommend it to you, Phil. I used to sell Cable Modems when I worked for The Sutherland Group as a CSR in a Call Center.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-13-2007 11:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had tons of problems with them here too, but I have found that for some reason they get along better with Linksys routers than any other kind. I started with a Linksys router, then when it died a friend recommended Netgear and the problems started. When that one died another friend recommended a DLink and the problems continued. Then another friend recommended a Linksys so I went back to that. The problems stopped.

WRT54G is the model I use for what it's worth. Also be sure to have the "self support tool" loaded on your computer. Every so often the line does glitch and that has fixed it for me every time.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2007 11:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cable net always runs faster but outages aside no system is perfect. Your outages may also be caused by the inordinate amount of fires in your area....

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 12:01 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have SBC at the record store with a Linksys router. The f'n thing keeps dumping on us every month or so. We have 3 laptops here, and out of no where it will just decide to drop connection. We have one employee that can fix it, but it always takes him a few hours to get it back up and running. I'm not sure of the exact computer-talk details on what happens, but we are fed up with it as well. SBC says it's the router problem, Linksys says it's SBC's fault.

Once our contract is over in two months, we're done with SBC and going to a local service called Insight. They are locally owned and are one of the main internet providers in the central illinois area.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-13-2007 01:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SBC uses a number of different DSL modems. Some play nicely with Linksys routers while others do not.

One of my friends hasn't been able to make her modem work with her Linksys WiFi router while another friend is doing alright.

I think one of the scams going is SBC wants customers to buy the WiFi router it is selling rather than a more proven after market solution, such as the routers sold by Linksys, D-Link and Netgear.

I have an old Efficient Networks Inc. Speedstream 5260 model DSL modem. It's a bigger, more ruggedly built DSL modem than many of the little black plastic doohickeys SBC commonly gives its customers now. It was first hooked up to a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router (to network two desktop computers together). Two years I ago I replaced it with a Linksys WRT54GS to provide WiFi to my notebook PC.

Connection problems have been rare. They were more common years ago with SBC was just getting DSL infrastructure built into the area. Many of the lines have been upgraded a couple of times since then to provide faster service, such as "DSL Pro" and the new "DSL Elite" standard.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-13-2007 02:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I think one of the scams going is SBC wants customers to buy the WiFi router it is selling rather than a more proven after market solution, such as the routers sold by Linksys, D-Link and Netgear.
Nah, don't do it. A friend of mine who posts about every 3 years here has that and has routine problems with it.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have SBC/Yahoo DSL at work with about 4-5 computers using it. It is super slow when two or more people are using it but they told us we cannot upgrade to a faster level for some reason. It runs through a Linksys router and the router died twice on us. Not to mention all of the lock-ups with the router along the way. The DSL also stops working on occassion. We are going to switch to a cable service since they cannot upgrade us.

I use Time Warner Cable for my access here at home and I like it. It is lightning fast although their customer service is lacking also since it takes them 15 minutes to answer a call. They supplied the modem which I rent on a monthly basis and I bought the WRT54G Linksys router. I use my work laptop here when I work from home and needed the wireless access. The Linksys router occassionally locks up and needs to be unplugged and rebooted. This seems to be a common problem with any Linksys router I have ever seen. [Roll Eyes]

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 03:06 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't SBC now AT&T?

Regardless, the typical DSL options are to either buy from the ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier, which is now Verizon or AT&T in most parts of the US), or to buy from Covad or a Covad reseller.

If you go the Covad route, Covad generally leases the copper from the central office to your location from the ILEC at lower prices than the ILEC would like to be offering the copper for, and the ILEC isn't really required to make sure that the copper is of adequate quality for DSL to work well.

If the ILEC doesn't want to make DSL work for you when you buy direct from the ILEC, then your options probably boil down to cable modem or spending vastly larger amounts of money for business class service. There may also be some wireless options, but I really haven't been impressed by any wide area wireless service I've seen thus far; some of them seem to have reliability that's surprisingly competitive with marginal DSL.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-13-2007 03:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joel N. Weber II
Isn't SBC now AT&T?
Yeah...that's ANOTHER reason to switch! [fu]

I'm sorta leery to go to cable service as I heard that the data rates slow down depending on how many users are on your "neighborhood" loop. I have no idea how many users would be/are on "my" loop.

I've had SBC for about 9 years and when it works, I get lightening speed with DSL ...I'm about 1-1/2 miles from the CO.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 04:30 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We switched to cable DSL last year at home and are switching after the contract expires this summer. DSL speed is glacial compared to the old POTS DSL line from the phone company. We see slow down between 6 - 10 p.m. We have Linksys hardware and WiFi with zero problems other than speed.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-13-2007 05:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have what is called "Champion Broadband" here and every time the internet goes down, I reset my modem and 95% of the time it comes back up. Rarely do I need to reboot my Linksys router.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-13-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm beginning to think it's my modem like others have suggested. It's some ancient thing I've had for 9 years.

I have a Netgear WGT624 wireless router and haven't had a problem with it.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-13-2007 07:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're losing line sync or the DSL bridge isn't passing data for some reason, get yourself a SpeedStream 5260 off of eBay.

If you're having problems keeping the PPPoE virtual circuit open, try a Linksys router (the best thing they currently have out is the WRT54GL which is the same hardware as the WRT54G(S) with more memory), if that doesn't fix it switch providers. You'll more than likely be provisioned over the same xSLAM equipment but will at least have a different VC end point (maybe one that's even configured correctly and on hardware that's not overloaded).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: