Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Happy 30th, Star Wars! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Happy 30th, Star Wars!
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2007 12:13 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thirty years ago today, "Star Wars" was released.

Did any film-techers actually see it on opening day?

Here's where it opened (From my retrospective article May 25, 1977: A Day Long Remembered):

quote:

ARIZONA
Phoenix: Plitt Ciné Capri

CALIFORNIA
Los Angeles: GCC Avco Center (70mm-Dolby)
Los Angeles: Mann Chinese (70mm-Dolby)
Orange: Plitt City Center (70mm-Dolby)
Sacramento: Syufy Century 25
San Diego: Mann Valley Circle
San Francisco: UA Coronet (70mm-Dolby)
San Jose: Syufy Century 22

COLORADO
Denver: Cooper Highland Cooper (Dolby)

DELAWARE
Claymont: Sameric Eric Twin Tri-State Mall

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Washington: RKO/Stanley-Warner Uptown (Dolby)

ILLINOIS
Milan: Redstone Showcase (Dolby)

INDIANA
Indianapolis: Y&W Eastwood (Dolby)

KENTUCKY
Louisville: Redstone Showcase (Dolby)

MASSACHUSETTS
Boston: Sack Charles (Dolby)

MICHIGAN
Southfield: Nicholas George Americana (Dolby)

MINNESOTA
Roseville: Northwest Roseville 4 (Dolby)
St. Louis Park: GCC St. Louis Park

NEW JERSEY
Edison: GCC Menlo Park
Lawrenceville: Sameric Eric Twin Lawrenceville
Paramus: RKO/Stanley-Warner Triplex Paramus (70mm-Dolby)
Pennsauken: Sameric Eric Twin Pennsauken

NEW YORK
Hicksville: Mann Twin South (70mm-Dolby)
New York: Loews Astor Plaza (70mm-Dolby)
New York: Loews Orpheum (70mm-Dolby)

OHIO
Springdale: Redstone Showcase (Dolby)

OREGON
Beaverton: Luxury Westgate (Dolby)

PENNSYLVANIA
Fairless Hills: Sameric Eric Twin Fairless Hills
Monroeville: Redstone Showcase East (Dolby)
Philadelphia: Sameric Eric's Place

UTAH
Salt Lake City: Plitt Centre

WASHINGTON
Seattle: UA Cinema 150 (Dolby)

Plus, it opened in the following on Thursday & Friday, May 26 & 27:
quote:
Opened Thursday, May 26, 1977:
KANSAS
Overland Park: Dickinson Glenwood (Dolby)

Opened Friday, May 27, 1977:
ILLINOIS
Calumet City: Plitt River Oaks
Chicago: Plitt Esquire (Dolby)
Lombard: GCC Yorktown
Northbrook: Lubliner & Sterns Edens (Dolby)

IOWA
Des Moines: Dubinsky River Hills (Dolby)

MISSOURI
Creve Coeur: Wehrenberg Creve Coeur (Dolby)

NEBRASKA
Omaha: Douglas Cinema Center (Dolby)

OHIO
Dayton: Chakeres Dayton Mall (Dolby)

TEXAS
Dallas: GCC Northpark I&II
Houston: GCC Galleria

So here's the challenge: can a discussion take place here with a focus on recollections of seeing "Star Wars" for the first time back in its original 1977-78 release? In other words, is it possible to discuss the original film and '77/'78 timeframe without drifting to any discussion of what "Star Wars" became over the course of thirty years? Obviously to many folks, "Star Wars" and George Lucas have worn out their welcome, but surely, even the most ardent Lucas haters and non-fans cannot deny the impact and impression the original movie made on moviegoers and the industry when it was brand new.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-25-2007 03:59 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
UTAH
Salt Lake City: Plitt Centre

...great venue to watch all of the original SW's in 70mm ... on a FLAT screen no less. This downtown SLC palace finally came down a few years ago for downtown reconstruction since Crapaplex Odeon had it .. but those two Bauer U2 machines ran the 70m prints with exceptional quality with those big STRONG Futura 13.6mm rotator carbons giving out the great light to fill that monstorous flat screen..

(I saw "Logan's Run" in 70mm at this theatre the year before..)

I remember reading about the magnitude of lines going around the block in SFO at the Coronet. Danged movie wasn't supposed to take off like it did, but it surprised all...

...and Universal has been kicking themselves ever since they turned down this story and film concept from Lucas, even though Lucas did "American Graffitti" and was released by them in 1973.

My biggest memory with "SW" was the blurbs that were showing up the weekly "Boxoffice" magazines back then. "What is this 'StarWars', everyone around town would say.." "Just another campy space/science fiction, Roger Corman-type of a movie?" Even myself, I had my doubts of this wondering what this 'Star Wars' was all about...I was proven wrong that opening Wed night in the middle of June. Yet, what waws funny was the first week, the movie really didn't take off like it should. It was the 2nd week that word got around how great this movie was and then we were busy from then on.

Granted, Spielberg gave us "JAWS" two summers ago that really surprised us to no end. Summer of '76 was "Logan's Run" and a host of other famous, and not so famous fliks..

Studios at this time were churning out wannabees to get them out of misery since nothing was really doing good for them (woo..remember 1976's Delaurentiss's "King Kong" with Jeff Bridges...did help out Paramount some...).

FOX was in this quagmire and really needed something to bail itself out of the red ink that it was seeing. "Sure, we'll float this Lucas fellow $10m and see how his project floats...nobody else wanted to take the plunge with this space opera story..."

We were one of the theatres that received the later mid-June release when more prints were struck due to the high demand.

From then on for the six month duration (in which I needed another replacement print in July due to the acetate in one reel had began to get brittle more quicker than normal and I was having sprockethole fractures on a continual basis, plus massive shedding from emulsion drying out so bad.. (I had a Simplex XL/Peerless Magnarc booth ), running that film in my booth with open ports, I became very tired of this film - mainly due to I had practically every frame and all of the soundtrack memorized

That movie changed us all from then on.... - Monte

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2007 04:02 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the 4:15 show on 5/25/77 at the Westgate in Beaverton,Or. I saw it 38 times that summer. They got a 70mm print about 2-3 weeks into the run as I recall. It ran for 78 weeks at the Westgate, one of the longest runs in the US. That film caused two of my friends that went with me to get into the film business. On is a sound editor, one a screenwriter.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2007 07:27 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw STAR WARS 5 times...I had to because the first 4 times the Dolby Sound was messed up. Either no surround channel, no right channel...a real mess.

The RAINTREE cinema that had a Dolby engagement had back corner speakers instead of side speakers, much like the IMAX system. I liked that arrangement much better than the full side surrounds.

STAR WARS was certainly a landmark picture, but it wasn't my most memorable cinema experience, by any means.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-25-2007 10:13 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in Billings, Montana at the Fox Theatre, a 1450 seat house which was converted in 1982 to a performing arts theater.

I know the movie played in Billings for over a year, but I think it moved mid-run to the Rimrock 4, a multiplex that was new at the time (and is now gone).

Some friends and I had gone to 3 different movies that day, with SW being the last. Not being much of a sci=fi fan, and tired from watching all those movies, I fell asleep sporadically in Star Wars. So I can't say it changed my life all that much.

We never played it at the Roxy in the initial run -- at that time, there was a drive-in in town and they got first run rights to all Fox pictures. The drive-in closed in 1980 so we played all the later movies in first run, although the only one we opened on the break was Episode III. We did play the original movie in a reissue in 1982, and of course we played the 1997 Special Edition.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-25-2007 10:51 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran it that summer, at the Leeds Theatre, in my hometown of Winchester, KY. I was 15, and so enamored with projection booths that I was never really interested in watching the movies.

Star Wars was different, however. It caught my attention immediately. From the very first shot, when the Star Destroyer chases the rebel ship across the frame... and it just keeps coming - and coming - and coming, until it fills the frame. The perceived scale was fantastic.

I soon found myself sitting at the porthole between my two Simplex Supers, monitor blaring away, watching this movie. The dynamic visual effects really floored me and the story was simply non-stop action. It was very exciting to say the least. I was so captivated that I had a difficult time pulling myself away to check the trim or make changeovers.

That's a summer I'll never forget. (Thanks, George!) [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-25-2007 10:52 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed the CP-100 for Showcase Cinemas #1 in Louisville (later a CP-50 in #2) Baby boom was real sub woofers. Crown DC-300 and A4X stage speakers; AAII Norelco & deep curved screen; picture was bananna shaped. Better LF energy that on the re-release.

Later installed CP-50 in Atlanta (Films Inc. screening room) and "borrowed" a stereo print from Fox. (Fox had plenty, since "everyone knows that stereo prints won't play in mono houses." When we were finished, I showed the Fox Branch manager that they WOULD play. During the print shortage, he held 50 stereo prints because he thought no one could use them.)

Also saw it in S.F. at the Coronet in 70mm. (Dolby training course.) Louis

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-25-2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing it at the now defunct Mid-States Lexington Mall twin cinema. It was on the mid-summer expansion that Fox did on the initial release. I saw it again on the same release at the General Cinema Turfland Mall twin cinema. I was 12 and I think that's what really broke me into the interest of movies and how they work.

There is going to be a Star Wars special on the History Channel on Memorial Day at 9:00 pm est.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2007 12:18 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it at the Uptown in DC. I was disapointed they ran it in 35; but what I remember most is everyone coming out smiling.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2007 01:43 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drove 95 miles to Detroit to see this one in 70mm at the Northland Cinema. Giant screen and 1,200 seats on one floor. The opening, crawling letters that "stayed in focus" from foreground to infinity, was incredible. (As a photo teacher this was very enlightening, only thought this was possible with a view camera and tilting lens board and back.)

The magnetic Dolby sound was great in that large space. They were running single reels and the image was pefect.

KEN

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-25-2007 02:00 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in 70mm at the Plitt in Orange CA. It had been out for a couple weeks at that time, and the massive publicity it was getting lured me in. I got there at 10AM on a Sunday, expecting to get a ticket to a noon show. But that was already sold out. Had to buy a ticket to the next show which was like 2:30 and wait in line over 4 hours. They had separate lines for each showtime and they were using bullhorns for crowd control. By the time my show rolled around, everything was sold out for the day and people were scalping tickets.

The movie was a revelation, had never seen anything like it. I later saw it numerous times (probably ~10) at the 1200-seat Edwards Big Newport, where I think it ran for close to a year. Also saw it a couple months into the run again at the Plitt, and their 70mm print was absolutely TRASHED. Never saw anything like that happen at the Big Newport.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-25-2007 02:35 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it was released in Australia on October 27th, 1977...Star Wars (still without the 'Episode IV' tile) wasn't released in my town until June of 1978. Yes, 1978. My first experience with Star Wars was finding out (at age 12) that this film was doing BIG business at the hard-top in town. My first observation to my projectionist father of that was 'It must be a really long movie'. For some reason, in my head, only long movies were that successful...'Gone With The Wind', 'Lawrence Of Arabia' etc.

I never saw it though until August of '78 when it came to my Dad's drive-in. I remember it had already been to the Bowen Drive-In which is a pretty small town currently responsible as the location to Baz Lurhman's follow-up to 'Moulin Rouge' but I digress...we received this print of SW with all tails and leaders joined onto the wrong reels. (You see? It happened in those days too [Roll Eyes] ) Between us, we managed to work out which reel was which and it made it to the screen as the second feature that night to Robert Shaw's 'Diamonds'. I have to say...and I'm not sure what possessed me to do it, but I taped on this screening on cassette the audio of the film (I doubt anyone's going to care too much at this point, right?) and must have played it almost every day for the next month or so...I loved this film and along with JAWS is my outstanding memory of going to the movies up to that point in history.

I'll never forget it and George, as much as I bag you out for the new ones...you'll always be forgiven...simply because you gave us that first scene with the Imperial Cruiser.

You had it...no doubt, and Goddamn it...not in the Star Wars vein as it's already been done, but I wish you'd do something as risque just one more time.

Loved it...love it...will always.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-25-2007 03:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could have seen the original Star Wars in 70mm. We were packing up and getting ready to move from Yuma, AZ to Iwakuni, Japan when the movie was released. We didn't get to see it until several months later when we were living in Japan. We watched it at a pretty large theater in downtown Iwakuni. Thankfully, the movie was in English. But it had Japanese subtitles written vertically down the right end of the frame. It was the first time I ever got to sit through a movie twice.

I watched The Empire Strikes Back in 1980 here in Lawton at the Showcase Twin theater. My family had just moved back to the states and was in this town visiting other relatives. That movie theater building was later converted to a Blockbuster Video location in the late 1990s.

I did get to see Return of the Jedi in 70mm (at General Cinemas Springfield Mall multiplex in Springfield, VA). That experience had a lasting effect, sparking the personal interest in film formats, presentation quality, etc.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-25-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did see the three original releases at the Centre in SLC - in 1977, 1980 and 1983 respectively..all done with changeover instead of later 70mm platter setups as mentioned above, but was someone disappointed in the 70mm presentations for knowing by the presentations, that these were just blowup 35mm releases - mainly due to the fact that my 35mm releases that I ran at my hometown 1100 seat theatre looked tons better than these 70mm blowup versions.

But, the thrill of seeing a 70mm release of "SW" - in fact of anything in this large format - was the biggest treat that a soul could experience.

On my initial opening release print that we received that mid-June of 1977, was a "Dolby Systems" mono print.

I've got the sections of that one bad reel that I mentioned above, which contains the lightsabre intruduction to Luke from Obi since that part of the reel really got damaged..about 50 ft ..

-Monte

Edwin Graf Diemer
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2007 10:09 PM      Profile for Edwin Graf Diemer   Email Edwin Graf Diemer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DELAWARE
Claymont: Sameric Eric Twin Tri-State Mall

I grew up in Wilmington DE, so I was lucky to live 10 minutes away from this theater-the Sameric chain always seemed to have "the big ones", vs. their competititon, Budco. It was absolutely insane that first weekend. The theater was at the rear of the mall, and the line went snaking from the theater through the mall until it hit the mall entrance and back again. "Star Wars" was the last picture to play in the massive 1,400 seat screen one before it was divided-nobody expected what was going to happen of course, and "Star Wars" only played for about a month there before being moved to the much smaller screen two. They showed it in 35mm mono, although the large house was Norelco 70mm equipped. Once the dividing was completed (920 seats in the large house), and the theater a triplex, the film returned to the larger screen. A very successful location, "The Empire Strikes Back" opened in 70mm here as well on the opening break, but by "Jedi", the area surrounding the theater had deteriorated so rapidly the film bypassed it entirely.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: