Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Are you gonna get an iPhone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Are you gonna get an iPhone?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-05-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Billboard, the Apple iPhone will be available at retail on June 29.

Do ya want one? Are you gonna get one?

I don't have a cellphone at all right now so I guess I won't be getting one.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-2007 12:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the problem with Apple and their stupid i naming???

And what is an iphone and why would I possibly want one?

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-05-2007 01:05 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, those IMac and Beatle guys should figure out how to market themselves before they slip into obscurity.... [Wink]

About five years ago I was talking to a VC (venture capitalist) who told me the future was in the integration of electronic do-dads. The IPhone is just one more step on the way to the future. (One of the unintended consequences of cell phones is the reduced sale of watches by almost 40% in the US alone. Why would a kid with a cell phone ever need a watch?)

But to answer Mike's question, I don't plan on getting one yet, or even for a while. At least not at $400-600. I'll let the kids de-bug it for a couple of years before I jump.

Steve Jobs has his eye out on making the cell phone obsolete. If you have a tool that's about the size of a cell phone that hooks to the internet with a web browser, takes and stores pictures, loads and plays music, receives and sends emails, tells the time and probably will do a lot more in the future, what do you need your Nokia or Motorola for?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-05-2007 03:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been wondering for years why Nokia or RIM haven't sold a phone identical to the Apple, not Linksys, iPhone. One of the senior engineers at RIM actually told me I was nuts when I bugged him about it in the spring of 2002.

I'd consider buying one if they release a CDMA version. I'll probably wait for the iPhone nano though. Yes, there will be an iPhone nano, there will.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-05-2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell no will I buy one of those.

Firstly, Apple's marketing this as being a "smart phone" despite the fact that it's gotta be about the only smart phone on the market where you CAN'T install your own software. In fact, that was one of the selling points of most smart phones: the ability to use their stuff along with putting on other stuff of your choosing.

So Apple will be one of the most expensive smart phones out there and functionally beaten by the others on the market.

Secondly, I'd beat the shit out of that touchscreen. I tend to put my wireless phone in my pocket which would simply kill that screen in a day.

And thirdly, I simply don't have $600 to spend on a phone, especially when that's the price WITH a 2-year service agreement.

So until they are cheaper, add functionality to install stuff of my choosing (or when it gets hacked; it'll happen), and they come up with a design with a simple screen cover (if I spend $600 I shouldn't have to buy that as an accessory) I will steer clear of them.

Though I wonder what will come of the lawsuit from Cisco. iPhone is a trademark of their's. In fact, the trademark predates the iMac.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 06-05-2007 04:09 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
Though I wonder what will come of the lawsuit from Cisco. iPhone is a trademark of their's. In fact, the trademark predates the iMac.
That was settled long ago.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-05-2007 04:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is clearly being marketed for the style/design/fashion kudos rather than functionality or versatility. Like the ipod, my guess is that this thing is deliberately being marketed at non-techie types, for whom locked down configurations and not being able to install additional software (translation: the thing is idiotproof) is a blessing rather than a curse. The Ipod still sells well, despite there being cheaper, more versatile and higher capacity rivals on the market. I guess the same thing will happen here: people who want trendy, consumer-friendly technology will buy it. Those who want power, versatility and functionality and are prepared to sacrifice snob value and user-friendliness will go for an alternative smartphone.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-05-2007 05:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me? Spend $600 on a mobile phone? Nah.

There's too many other things I want or need to buy that I feel are far more important than some touch screen cellular phone. My truck needs new tires. I just spent $600 on a Adobe CS3 software suite upgrade. I'm trying to set aside some money for the eventual purchase of a good quality HDTV. On top of that, I need to get crowns on three teeth. That's going to be damned expensive.

The only way I'm going to be hauling around a iPhone anytime soon is if Cingular/AT&T gives me one for free.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-05-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I don't have a cellphone at all right now so I guess I won't be getting one.
Do they actually have cell phones in Montana?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-05-2007 06:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, they're just as ridiculous here as they are in California. [Roll Eyes] Of course many Montana residents these days are former Californians so it figures.

quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Yes, there will be an iPhone nano, there will.
I'll wait for the iPhone Shuffle, where it calls your friends at random.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 06-05-2007 06:50 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That feature will be available with the iPhone nano and a case of beer.

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2007 07:07 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl
I'd consider buying one if they release a CDMA version.
The exclusivity contract with AT&T that Apple has is for some ungodly period of time like 5-7 years. CDMA iPhone ain't happenin.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-05-2007 07:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike the concept of cell phones and refuse to get one.

That said, I might actually re-consider my position if anyone ever makes one with sound quality at least as good as I get with a 50-year-old Western Electric 500 set.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-05-2007 07:35 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too dislike the things and went cell-less until just this last month. The airline I work for requires me to have a cell so I finally had to come over to the dark side. The company recommended I go with what was Cingular so quad-band GSM is the way I went - at least I can use it (with local SIM cards) when I start traveling overseas again (everywhere except Japan dammit!). The phone itself is a Moto KRZR, a $300 phone which cost me all of $10 when I signed up for the service.

iPhone for me? Not a chance.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2007 07:43 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I'll wait for the iPhone Shuffle, where it calls your friends at random.

Brilliant! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: