Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Upcoming 70mm Screenings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Upcoming 70mm Screenings
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2007 09:09 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following films are scheduled to be screened in 70mm at the Paramount Theatre in Austin, TX.

TRON Aug. 24 & 25
SOUTH PACIFIC Aug. 25 & 26
TITANIC Aug. 28 & 29
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA Aug. 30 & 31
CLEOPATRA Sep. 1 & 2

Associated links:
Paramount Theatre
in70mm.com

In Los Angeles at the Aero Theatre:
TRON* June 17
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA June 23

*double feature with "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan" (35mm) plus a Q&A with "Tron" director Steven Lisberger, visual effects supervisors Harrison Ellenshaw & Richard Taylor and "Khan" director Nicholas Meyer.

Plus, in Los Angeles (at UCLA) on June 21, there's Bill Bennett, ASC's recently-shot 70mm demonstration film.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-09-2007 09:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That whole Bill Bennett thing is certainly nothing but a bunch of hype. This has been done in past years and with 65mm as well as other formats in 35mm and at differing speeds. People try to take credit for reviving or creating a new format and what ever it is they try it already exists. In this case what they've done would still not be nearly as good as Todd-AO 30fps would be shot with the same present film stocks. Anyone in this industry with 10 cents worth of knowledge already knows that 65mm origination is far superior. Those that don't know merely need attend a screening of Lawrence Of Arabia or some other restored 70mm film.

Also the decline in theatrical imaging is in no way related to how they are shot or that they are all done today in 35mm. Todays 35mm if taken right from the camera neg looks literally stunning to say the least. What Bill Bennett needs to do to effect some good in this industry is to spend time getting the labs to clean up their act. Sadly, if he was sucessful at bringing back 65mm origination the labs would ruin that too. The 65mm originated film "Far And Away" was nothing to write home about as it was several generations removed from the camera neg. Other than several limited art films there has not been a mainstream film originated in that format since Far And Away because the general public couldn't tell the difference. If there is another done in that format on a large scale where are they going to show it.. who would run it? The end result would be mainstream 35mm reduction prints shown by kids in todays multiplex's. You'd be right back where you started!

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-09-2007 10:31 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Michael! Dang, I wish I could see some of those shows. [Frown]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2007 10:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, seeing "TRON" in 70mm was an excellent treat to experience..

Dang, just too bad, even though this topic has been beaten to death, only to be revived time after time after time, then beaten to death again....that 70mm film releases needs to come back to the mainstream theatres - just for the sheer magic of it all..

Forget about IMAX (even though it's 70mm, just not shown in the classic way as we know it..), and forget about DCinema. Just the classic 5/70 presentations what the magic of the motion picture exhibition is all about...

-Monte

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2007 02:32 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me the best way to try to make that happen is to support these screenings as much as possible, especially by spreading the word (bravo Michael) and in person whenever we can...
...he said hopefully.

Geoff "Doing my Best" Jones [Smile]
Aero Screenings

Paramount Screenings

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2007 03:11 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to see the screening of Lawrence of Arabia last summer at the Paramount. It was beautiful! John did an excellent job in the booth. I plan on trying to make it down to Austin to see at least a couple of shows this summer.

Anyone from around north Texas up for a road trip?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-10-2007 08:56 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Far & Away" was pretty bad.....until the land rush scenes....Bruce Surtees, Jr. Every bit as good as Lawrence.

We ran F&A in a newly revamped (new screen and frame, new JJ, new lenses) 1000 seat auditorium, now regrettable closed. 70mm image was 70 feet at 28+ ft/lambert possible. Louis

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-10-2007 12:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Emma Tomiak
Anyone from around north Texas up for a road trip?
Lawrence of Arabia is pretty tempting to make the drive down to Austin. Does anyone know if this is a 70mm DTS print or one from the previous 70mm Dolby SR mag generation?

Tron is another one I'd really like to see, mainly because I've never seen it in 70mm before.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2007 03:03 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, the most recent batch (circa 2002, AFAIK) of 70mm "Lawrence" prints included both DTS and SR mag. In fact, the best-condition print I have run is mag.

I should also mention that the Aero will be running "Vertigo" in 70mm DTS sometime in August. Check www.aerotheatre.com in the next month or so for the exact date.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2007 04:46 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks interesting, wished I could make it to the Paramount Theatre, looks a interesting place. Anyone know what 35/70mm Projectors they have installed?.

How may people are planning to make it to these screenings?, I did think about over the weekend, but the Flight costs from the UK to the US are expensive for that month [Frown] .

Ramon Lamarca Marques
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2007 05:37 PM      Profile for Ramon Lamarca Marques   Email Ramon Lamarca Marques   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
That whole Bill Bennett thing is certainly nothing but a bunch of hype
Unfortunately I have not seen it yet, but I wish there were more people like him reminding the audience (not technicians) how good 65/70 is.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
"Far & Away" was pretty bad.....until the land rush scenes....Bruce Surtees, Jr. Every bit as good as Lawrence.

Absolutely, those scenes showed perfectly what 65/70 can do, amazing [thumbsup] I prefer 1000 times a 65/70 on a curved large screen on a conventional cinema than any IMAX blow up from 35mm.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2007 05:47 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong, but I thought I had read soemhere that those land rush scenes were shot with new VistaVision cameras.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2007 05:47 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone go to the Alien and Aliens screenings in 70mm last weekend at the BFI IMAX? I really wanted to but wasn't going to sit alone for that long in the cinema.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-10-2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
I could be wrong, but I thought I had read soemhere that those land rush scenes were shot with new VistaVision cameras.

I think I also read that. Wasn't that mentioned in American Cinematographer Rag???

VistaVision has an amazing look all its own unlike any other process. Hitchcock is one of the only ones to use it to its fullest capability. One of the only large formats where super depth of field is possible without any image distortion... VistaVision dailies were always a treat to run, they look magnificent.

As for aerials I should mention a film that I did the dailies on that was never made. Called "The Bee". It was written by John Hughes and was a film to be made from the point of view of a Bumble Bee. They used the small remote controled helicopters that had tiny fully stabilized VistaVision cameras on them. The speed and manuverability of those copters was unbelievable and they were able to accurately go from a mile away to a close up on a moving cars liscence plate in a just a mater of seconds. They also shot thousands of feet of footage with the WESCAM as well. Sadly, John Hughes never thought the POV camera stuff worked quite well enough to do the entire film. They could certainly do it now with digital effects.

Mark

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-10-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The helicopter shots were indeed VistaVision. I ran the 70mm F&A demo reel screening at ShoWest that year and had to rehearse a small on-the-fly framing adjustment to compensate for the slight composition change on that print between the 65mm and 35mm VV shots. I assume those small differences were taken care of in the 70mm release prints.

These screenings sound like a good excuse to finally use some of those airline pass-travel perks my company keeps throwing at me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: