Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Elvis 30th Anniversary Commemoration (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Elvis 30th Anniversary Commemoration
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-16-2007 11:31 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's 30 years since The King passed away. Do you remember where you were when you heard he died?

I was 11 years old and turned on the 'Hi-Fi' to the morning radio as my Dad liked to hear the news every morning. Mum was the Elvis fan and so I got to know his music pretty well and had seen some concerts on the television. I couldn't believe that he had died.

If anyone's got WINAMP installed, their Shoutcast radio has a 24hr broadcast live from Memphis with interviews and 24hr Elvis music.

Rather good.

Anyone else feel like telling where they were when he died?

--------------------

"I want to entertain people. That's my whole life. To my last breath." - Elvis Presley

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-16-2007 11:48 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was visiting one of my grandmothers during summer break from school at the time. I was listening to the radio when they broke in with the announcement. We had concert tickets for a show that he was to do in Lexington later that month. I was 12 at the time. I was not a big fan of Elvis but did understand his contributions to rock and roll. There really has not been anyone since, that has drawn so much fan support since his death. Not even Michael Jackson at the height of his career could stand up to the level of fan support that Elvis had. He truly was the king of rock and roll.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-16-2007 11:51 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
He truly was the king of rock and roll.
And will always be. That sounds sentimental, but it's not. Think about it...who else could have that influence nowadays?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-16-2007 11:54 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he could hear some of the crap that is being made today he would probably spin himself right out of the grave.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2007 04:44 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was only two at the time so I don't remember anything. However my dad's birthday is today and I bet he would remember where he was. I feel bad for people like him that have birthdays on days when something sad/bad happened in history. My father-in-law's birthday is September 11th. I would imagine it would be hard to have a good time when you got the rememberances all over the news and in the back of your mind. [Frown]

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2007 04:45 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He truly was the king of rock and roll.
Thank Ya, Thank Ya.... Thank Ya very much!

If he could hear some of the crap that is being made today he would probably spin himself right out of the grave.
Sorry, but Elvis done left the grave when Lisa Marie married Michael Jackson.

I was on my way home from Day Care in my Dads 1968 Ford Fairlane when I first heard about Elvis's Death. I was about 7yrs old at at the time.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-16-2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw him at the Beverly Center Mall in West Hollywood the other day...he was shopping for a new suit, rhinestones, and some cubic zirconium "diamonds".

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-16-2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that a celebration on the anniversary of somebodys death would mean that you're glad he's gone. Makes no sense to me, something to be done on the anniversary of the day Hitler died for instance.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-16-2007 10:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Yes, it's 30 years since The King passed away. Do you remember where you were when you heard he died?
I was in Iwakuni, Japan. Our family had just been stationed at the Marine Corps base there. We were mourning the loss of my maternal Grandfather. He died the same week as Elvis.
[Frown]

My mother's father taught my brother and I how to ride dirt track motorcycles. We were only 8 and 9 years old then. The guy also rolled his own cigarettes. Lung cancer killed him. The last time I saw him (early July of 1977) his right lung had been removed. He was in awful shape. My parents quit smoking cold turkey and have never smoked since. I chose never to pick up that costly habit based on those final painful visits with my Grandfather. That event was pretty tough to handle. It was the first time in my life I had lost a close relative.

Most people just think about Elvis when the anniversary of the death of "the king" rolls around. That anniversary only reminds me of my Grandfather.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2007 11:51 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Elvis is still alive, the only guy that likely can find him is this guy

-

[Big Grin]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-17-2007 05:32 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
It seems to me that a celebration on the anniversary of somebodys death would mean that you're glad he's gone. Makes no sense to me, something to be done on the anniversary of the day Hitler died for instance.
I'm pretty sure they are not 'celebrating' his death. It's a celebration of his life on the anniversary of his death. Perhaps you misread the topic title as celebration rather than commemoration.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-17-2007 10:41 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was 22 and working in the showroom at the Las Vegas Hilton - one of the projects we had going that day was some electrical prep for Elvis' upcoming return to our stage the next month. I had just finished checking the marks and mirrors we used to have the spots hit the colonel's King's Row booth when I heard.

30 years. 30 years ago I was still just a soloed but not yet private pilot. And hadn't started college yet. Doesn't feel like 30 years at all.

And yes, I see Elvis every day here. He never left. In fact he multiplied. What a great gig dying turned out to be. [Big Grin]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2007 12:12 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was running house lights in the Wendler Arena for the Elvis show, about 31 years ago. I remember that he collapsed into the arms of one of his handlers and was rushed off in a limo. He was very ill at that time and barely got through that show.

KEN

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2007 02:00 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
If Elvis is still alive, the only guy that likely can find him is this guy
Mike- [Big Grin]

Nah, Michael couldn't been him you saw. I saw him here in a local record store looking for the new song that Britney, Lindsey and Paris just recorded together. Jailhouse Rock.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2007 11:40 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a collection of old Beta tapes I got from someone, I have part of the WNEW (I think) local news in New York where they announce Elvis' death, and a complete 30-minute report aired by NBC at 11:30 that night. I'll try to put those up on Google Video soon (better than YouTube since there's no time limits, and copyright holders don't seem to get their panties in a bunch as much.)

Wonder if Elvis would have done any disco songs if he'd lived a little longer? [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: