Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Back to the Future" ride heads into the past... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Back to the Future" ride heads into the past...
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-04-2007 06:29 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
"Back to the Future" ride heads into the past...

How sad. Over the years, I rode that ride umpteen times and did many behind-the-scenes of the ride, motion bases, and IMAX projection.

While the subject may be out of date, the technology of the attraction was and still is 1st class.

--------------------------------------------------------

"Back to the Future" ride heads into the past
Associated Press
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched:09/04/2007 03:01:42 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES -- A ride that took theme park visitors "Back to the Future" is about to be relegated to the past.
The Universal Studios Hollywood ride based in the film trilogy starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd was taking its final passengers Monday, before it closed to make room for a new "Simpsons" attraction.

"Back to the Future -- The Ride," was the theme park's first high-technology thrill ride when it opened in 1993.

Passengers were strapped into a moving carriage -- modeled after the film's DeLorean time machine -- in front of a film projected on a domed screen, which gave the illusion of flight.

A new ride based on "The Simpsons" TV series, which will debut next year, will replace the "Back to the Future" attraction, theme park officials said.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-04-2007 06:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one of the few rides at Universal I was never all that impressed with. Maybe I just wasn't in the proper mood or something when I rode it, but it just didn't thrill me at all. The Spider-Man ride stands tall over it, in my opinion.

On the other hand, I'm curious how a Simpsons ride will be...it could be an excuse to make it really tacky on purpose.

I'd like to see Disney do a water ride based on the sewer scene in Ratatouille, myself. It should be built in the France area of Epcot and exit into a restaurant instead of a gift shop.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-04-2007 06:52 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno Mike... if "Back to the Future" wasn't popular it wouldn't have lasted 14 years...

Did a lot of work on the "Spider-Man" ride... was not impressed...

I agree with your suggestion of a "Ratatouille" attraction.

The ride that I wanted to barf at was that hokey "E.T." ride. Gawd! I HATE that POS thing!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-04-2007 07:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on...the Barf ride was "KING KONG" at Universal/Florida. Think about how long the waits were when it opened to essentially "ride" in a hanging car on a VERY small oval track!

Future was definately a decent enough attraction for its time. Considering how long the film series lasted and the attraction, I'd say it did quite well. I doubt the Simpsons will have the same sort of staying power. Then again, the Jimmy Neutron refit of Hanna-Barbara was a good one.

As for Spiderman...I was none too impressed with it...despite the numerous 70mm film projectors in use. I felt like I was watching the same "trick" over and over again.

Now MIB was a real decent attraction.

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-04-2007 08:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I like the "Shindler's List" ride the best.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-05-2007 12:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
Dunno Mike... if "Back to the Future" wasn't popular it wouldn't have lasted 14 years...
It's been too long to remember exactly, but I do remember we got a car that was not the "ideal" car for viewing the screen. And I kept getting "taken out" of the experience by peripherally seeing the other cars around our car. I like "Spider Man" because since the vehicles are independent of each other, you get more of a one-on-one experience. The "fall" at the end is my favorite bit. We took the Universal IOA "backstage VIP" tour a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-05-2007 12:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..yet some guy in Texas has returned the DeLorean back to the public. He bought up all of the remaining parts so that the car can be made again.

The car will have some serious modifications available and will be pricier than the original $18,000, 1981 to '83 sticker price - more like into the mid 50's.

Fellow employee of mine in the mid 90's had a "D" and let me drive the thing - Fun to Drive and comfortable! Sad though, in as much as that car was so well designed, the cockpit layout was on the bland side - just didn't have the 'sporty' feel and look of a true sports car. But, that was the design and look of the early 80's.

"88mph" RULES again! - Monte

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2007 07:52 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, that is not funny at all...and quite tasteless/tactless!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-05-2007 08:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, you just described Joe!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-05-2007 09:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joe, that is not funny at all...and quite tasteless/tactless!
So? Do you expect me to feel bad about saying it or something?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-06-2007 10:00 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Phil, on the longevity of your work!! [thumbsup] BTTF is one I wanted to ride.
quote: Will Kutler
quite tasteless/tactless
I didn't take it that way at all. It struck me as he just chose that title because it was a serious film, not to make light of the tragedy in the story. I laughed out loud when I scrolled down and saw Joe's comment...

Surprise and incongruity often equals humor, and Joe's a master of that, IMHO.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-06-2007 12:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeppers, you've gotta be quick with Joe, or you'll fall flat on your face.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-06-2007 05:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim's right on. I was basically making fun of rides based on movies.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-06-2007 07:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, point of clarification: I had nothing to do with the design or commissioning of the BTTF attraction. Also, I didn't specifically work with Doug Trumbull on that particular attraction/pic but I did on several others.

On BTTF, I only did many behind-the-scenes tours and engineering suggestions when the motion-bases welds started to fail.

I did do a lot on Superman at Universal Orlando, Universal Studios Hollywood, and Universal Studios Japan...and my favorite...T2-3D. That still is a great attraction!

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2007 04:58 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A new ride based on "The Simpsons" TV series, will replace the "Back to the Future" attraction.

DOAH!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: