Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Poltergeist 25th Anniversary Screenings - 35mm or DVD?

Author Topic: Poltergeist 25th Anniversary Screenings - 35mm or DVD?
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2007 12:37 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poltergiest is getting a one-night re-issue on 10/24. Here's the Official Site, which also has a Theatre List.

Can anyone confirm if any of these theatres will be screening 35mm prints, or if they will be projecting DVD? (I've heard that their events in the past used DVDs.)

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-07-2007 08:31 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely with that amount of theatres it will be digital projection. If they were to have new 35mm prints, they would be in NYC and Hollywood areas. Warner is releasing Blade Runner Final Cut version only in a digital projection soon.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-07-2007 10:35 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some doubts about the D-Cinema thing. According to the list of theaters booked to play the 25th anniversary screening of Poltergeist, two Cinemark theaters in Oklahoma are included. However, the Tinseltown 20 in Oklahoma City and Cinemark Tulsa don't have any digital projection systems at this time. The company has only 32 d-cinema equipped screens between 31 sites (including acquired Century screens) according to D-Cinema Today. There is a chance those numbers could be well out of date (I know D-Cinema Today is lacking at least a couple of Harkins installations in their lists).

Another problem seeming to count against a digital-only release of Poltergeist is the fact most movie theaters with digital projection typically have only one system in the multiplex and that system is usually set up for a larger auditorium. A 25 year old movie (although a classic) may have a tough time competing against new fall releases for those few digital-equipped screens.

I hope no one will stoop to showing Poltergeist merely projected from a standard DVD. That would just be sad. 480p is just too coarse and low in resolution to look good on a large, commercial movie theater screen. Sure, 35mm film prints are going to cost some money, but if the re-release is marketed competently at all it should bring out enough movie-goers to make the effort turn a good profit.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-07-2007 01:05 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will most likely be if not film, NCM HD pre-show projectors running the show. These projectors are the ones that use two bulbs in them and are used for concerts and such.

Cinemark currently has 36 locations with 53 total digital screens.

James. R. Deeter
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2007 01:50 PM      Profile for James. R. Deeter   Email James. R. Deeter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone think this will be well attended on a Thursday night ? Without big promo help from a local station that targets the 40 + age demo, who cares ? From the list of theatres participating, it looks like mostly AMC, Regal, Cinemark. Maybe NCM put this together ? One more nit pick...the movie released in June of '82, shoulda ran this promo in the summer.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-10-2007 02:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There probably was nowhere near enough available screens to run the Poltergeist reissue during June.

Other popular movies from the 1970s and 1980s have had similar booking difficulties. The 20th anniversary reissue of E.T. ran in the Spring of 2002 instead of Summer. The Star Wars movies were quintessential "summer movies," but their 1997 special edition versions were released in the early part of that year instead of summer.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-10-2007 08:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did Star Wars that way because there's no way they could have gotten 12 weeks in big houses (a minimum 4-week-per-movie contract requirement) in mid-summer.

They should do Poltergeist starting Halloween night for two days. They could catch the overflow from Saw IV.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2007 09:46 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on a reply I got from Fathom, and a discussion over at Home Theater Forum , it looks like they are doing something to upconvert the DVDs to 720p, and then projecting them digitally.

I'm going to opt for seeing it in 35mm at the Castro in San Francisco instead.

Jonesy
Movie Theatre Reviews

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-11-2007 02:47 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how happy Mr. Spielberg would be to know this was going to happen on DVD.

[dlp] [thumbsdown]

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2007 12:37 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made it to the Castro for Poltergeist last night and I want to take the time to say thanks to the staff at the Castro.

The 35mm print was beautiful. It looked brand new. The presentation was excellent from start to finish. I haven't had that much fun at the movies in a long time. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

It's a shame that moviegoers won't get the same experience at the video screenings of Poltergeist tomorrow night. [Frown]

If you find yourself in the San Francisco area, make an effort to see a movie at the Castro!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2007 09:25 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a couple of reactions posted on Ain't It Cool News.

quote:
A Couple Of Dissatisfied Readers Write In About Tonight’s POLTERGEIST Event!

Hey, everyone. ”Moriarty” here.

I’m sorry to hear that this event was so mismanaged. I am not sure what would possess anyone to show a film in a theater in the wrong aspect ratio in the year 2007? That’s a basic mistake that no one should make. It’s not the same as the home video debate because we’re talking about a theater. In the theater, it makes sense to show it in the theatrical ratio... hence no need for letterboxing or pan and scanning and digital zooming.

I’ll let these guys tell you what they saw:

So Harry I went to the screening of Poltergeist this evening. I have been looking forward to seeing it since the posting here a few weeks back.

Well it did not go well.

Once upon a time I worked in a theater, so I know just a little something. The show starts off very much full screen and just as the credits start the pictures pulls back and shows the "scope" that should be presented. The darn thing is wide-screen (letter-boxed)just for the opening and closing credits. I am a forgiving sort on some things but when I have to pay for a "pan and scan" version of a beautiful film like this it is a shame.

I was not impressed with the projection system used either. As I understand it most movie theaters have might have two kinds of digital projectors. The very expensive one for the movie and one for the Movie Vision pre-show. Well guess which one was not used. Not the good one, thus a blurry, dull and dark movie experience with those annoying little boxes that show up on titles and very bright images. Why not just throw a sheet up and grab a lap-top and your $500.00 Best Buy LCD projector. Totally not what I wanted this evening.

I do have one good thing to say...the movie was very clean. I found the "print" to be pristine and flawless, just presented poorly.

Needless to say I did get my dollars back and will use them to purchase the DVD movie next week. I am sure my TV will do the trick, once I place my hands on it and proclaim "They're Here!"

Just call me Mr Voice.

This next one is just a quick reaction:

Hey Harry & Crew,

Just got back from the "one night only special screening" of Poltergeist at the AMC theater in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Loved the flick, as always, but was appalled to see that it was PROJECTED IN THE WRONG ASPECT RATIO. Or I guess I should say, since I assume it was all digital, they USED THE WRONG VERSION for the screening. Basically we got a full-screen version of the flick, with correct aspect ratio main and end titles. Jeebus H. Criminy. Even movie theaters don't understand the appeal of widescreen now. Or at least Fathom Entertainment doesn't.

Just thought I'd share ...

Troy "Minnesota T-Rex" Tradup

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-05-2007 09:40 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The New Remastered 25th. Anniversary Edition of "Poltergeist" will be released on October 9th. 2007 from Warner Home Video.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-07-2007 10:42 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone made an effort to locate a private print and run that instead. Without telling anyone of course.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this Poltergeist showing goes better than the one I saw on its PREMIER night in a neighborhood Atlanta theatre. Full house, and the film breaks right where Jobeth Williams falls into the unfinished swimming pool and slides down to the deep end where... and it breaks. Entire theatre crowd SCREAMS in unison! After about 5 minutes, they got it going again, but nearly everyone there got a free pass, myself included.

I dont want to see the FATHOM version. I hate the digi projectors anyway!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-07-2007 12:13 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yow- theaters running a regular DVD of a film - not even in it's orginal ratio! That's about as low as you can go. But that, really very few people complained (a few articles in the newspaper or online doesn't count for much) only proves the point that the average paton doesn't even care about quality.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: