Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » strange web page when going to a new web page

Author Topic: strange web page when going to a new web page
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2007 12:36 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello from Taiwan. I have been having a issue with my laptop. It started when i was home and could not figure it out. I am hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction. If iam looking at a webpage and it has a link in it to another webpage i click on the link and it takes me to a different webpage then the one i wanted. Sometimes the page that come up says click verification buttion I click back to the original and re click the link and it then takes me to the requested page. Or i click on the link and it goes to a another type of webpage that has a whole bunch of what i call garbage links. Again if i click back and reclick it goes to the correct page. I have run ad aware, spybot, Norton and defender and it finds nothing. I look in the history and the webpage listing above the original says redirect. Anyone have something similar and know a soultion to it. By the way i had my first earthquake tremor here the other night. I was told they had a 6.4 in the ocean. It rocks the bed alot and woke me up. Thanks for the help

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-08-2007 12:58 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds pretty similar to the "Cool Web Search" browser hijack hack.

If you have a pretty bad version of it installed your only solution is to back up any critical data, FDISK and completely reinstall your operating system and applications from scratch.

In the future, when web surfing you can take a number of precautions to keep your browser from being hijacked.

1. Do your web surfing from a Mac. That may not be practical for a lot of users however.

2. Never use Internet Explorer for web browsing. Use Firefox instead. Anything that relies on ActiveX is SHIT.

3. Never surf the web from a login with administrator privileges. Both MacOSX and Windows will allow you to set up limited rights "guest" accounts that do a lot to prevent malicious software installations and do more to mask your computer's identity/location.

4. Using anti-virus software, software/hardware firewalls and all sorts of other traditional security measures are a given. All users should be taking those steps. If they're not doing so then they're gambling with their computer system.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
1. Do your web surfing from a Mac. That may not be practical for a lot of users however.

Nothing wrong with using a PC. Windows has just given PCs a bad name. There are plenty of other operating systems and web browsers out there that have nothing to do with Winblows.
[Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: