Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Upgrading to as much RAM as the OS can understand?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Upgrading to as much RAM as the OS can understand?!
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2007 10:11 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone,

I've always received really useful information on all of my computer questions, so here's a new one.

I bought a PC from my dad's work for $50 ($100 with the HUGE monitor) in Christmas 2005. It is an IBM NetVista 6270-M2U, Pentium III, "Designed for Windows 98", 256mb (2x 128mb) RAM, 9GB hard drive, with no CD drive.

I put a 160GB hard drive in, upgraded to Windows XP Home, put a HP DVD-RW burner in, 6 USB ports, and a wireless adapter. This was almost immediately. Its really a great system (since I already had the burner, etc.), especially considering the cost, and the satisfaction from doing it myself.

I went to a computer store on Thursday, with a stick of RAM, talked to whom I assume is the owner, and he hooked me up with a stick of 512mb. He said, after looking at my stick of RAM "Whew, this system is old, eh?" and gave me the new stick for $79.99. He said it would work fine, since Windows XP could recognize up to 2GB of RAM, and that RAM was all about the OS recognizing it.

I took the new stuff home, put it in my PC, in slot DIMM1, along with one of the other stick of 128mb. When I turned on the computer, it made a few loud beeps, and the screen stayed black.

On IBM's website, it says it can recognize 512mb of RAM, maximum, but the guy at the computer store said Windows 98 could only recognize that much. As it is, the computer only recognizes 148GB of my hard drive, but its nowhere near half full, anyways.

What can I do to make this computer use the 512mb effectively? Am I S.O.L.?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 12:24 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the guy at the shop is right accepting ram is mostly controlled by the operating system.

The maximum amount of memory that your system can use is actually limited in two ways — not only is there a maximum amount of memory that your computer motherboard can accept, there is also a maximum amount of memory that your operating system (OS) can accept.

Windows xp Home accepts 4Gb

Your Pc may have an issue with not having matched pairs of memory installed. You say you installed the 512Mb with the 128Mb which is not matched , try 2 sticks of 128 or 512.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2007 01:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your motherboard will overrule your OS's RAM limit if the MB's limit is lower. Basically whichever's limit is lower will win.

How much RAM can the top tier god-version of Vista handle? Surely more than 4GB.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 01:13 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew McCrea
On IBM's website, it says it can recognize 512mb of RAM, maximum, but the guy at the computer store said Windows 98 could only recognize that much. As it is, the computer only recognizes 148GB of my hard drive, but its nowhere near half full, anyways.

The recognizing only 148GB is normal. It is a calculation thing. HDD manufacturers choose to count in decimal, while computers use a binary number system. So...

160GB = 160,000,000,000 bytes

Divide that by 1024 3 times it will = 149GB

As far as the memory just don't use the 128mb since your motherboard can not recognize anything above that.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 01:38 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, does this motherboard need to have two sticks of RAM in it at a time? If I just have the 512mb in, it still does the black screen with the three beeps when turned on and doesn't boot up.

Does BIOS need to be changed or updated?

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 01:57 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the user manual on the link you provided, you can only install up to 256MB RAM into each socket, for a total of 512MB.

Joe: According to what I have seen, 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate can handle up to 128GB.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 01:59 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, that helps, so here's one more dilemma: The receipt says "FINAL SALE! NO RETURNS! NO EXCHANGES!"... Should I go say that the guy told me it would work, it doesn't, and I need two sticks of 256 each? Do I have a case, for an exchange, even if I didn't know it would be a final sale?

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 02:01 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think an honest business would exchange for 2 sticks (you may have to pay a little extra), but that is definitely something you would have to talk to them about and would be case by case.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 02:06 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you sometimes need to update your motherboard's BIOS in order for it to recognise memory sticks of a larger capacity than were the norm when the motherboard was made.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 02:37 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that IBM provides a BIOS update for Windows XP... How do you go about installing a new BIOS? I tried to do it on my laptop to no avail.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 02:52 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to some info...

PCMechanic

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 05:33 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the more modern motherboard BIOSs have a more user-friendly way of updating than is described in this article. For example, the one in my last PC would flash in an update from the BIOS interface itself, and you didn't have to boot into DOS to do it. It also had a safety feature that refused to flash in a BIOS that wasn't written for that specific model of motherboard. But for a motherboard the age of Andrew's, I'd guess that it would be a case of booting a DOS floppy and then running the flash utility.

As a general rule, BIOS updates are issued very frequently during the first couple of years after a model of motherboard goes on sale, and then the frequency drops off. It's worth keeping an eye on the motherboard manufacturer's web page to see when new versions come out, and if each new version fixes a bug or adds functionality that directly affects you. I tend to only update if it does.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 08:21 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also make surre the ram speed is cmpatable with the mother board that can be more of an issue on old mb

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 08:33 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are able to run Windows XP on this system, I wouldn't update anything. I haven't seen anything that says that a BIOS update will allow the Intel 810E chipset (which this pc uses, according to tech specs) to utilize more than 512MB (256MB x 2). I think you have just hit a technology ceiling in terms of your system.

Edited to add: Also realize that updating your BIOS may be risky and can kill the motherboard. I don't think this system has any real safeguards, and anything from using the wrong BIOS to a power failure would brick the system. Just learn to live within it's means or buy a new computer, that's my opinion.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 09:33 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That not understanding large drives is a bios thing, flashing a mobo bios is a pain in the bum, but its worth it. Its good to see people putting legacy systems to use, one can never have too many servers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: