Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Care and Feeding of Film Recorders

Author Topic: Care and Feeding of Film Recorders
Bob Healey
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 04:19 PM      Profile for Bob Healey   Email Bob Healey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

Its been a while since I've posted here, but that's because I've been away from film. I'm now working as the systems admin on a CGI animation project that has decided to rent a film recorder to create dailies in house in an attempt to save money. Since it interfaces with a computer, that makes it my problem. The final output format is 15/70, but that will be dealt with by pros. I just need to deal with 4/35 and 8/70.

I was wondering if anyone on the board knew of any good resources on the web or in print so I could begin doing preliminary research on software requirements, hardware requirements, etc. I have no clue what make or model I'll be stuck with, other than something available near Albany, NY.

If anyone's curious as to the technical specs, or a general overview/synopsis, I'll post a reply with details and more information.

Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film (audio) recorders? Louis

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 09:11 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember not to feed them after midnight.... [Roll Eyes]

Bob Healey
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 09:43 PM      Profile for Bob Healey   Email Bob Healey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if that's the correct term, that's what my boss told me. It takes the still frames from disk and exposes raw stock.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-09-2007 11:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this will help or not, but here's what I know on this subject...

Celco was, or is, a leader in film recording technology, with several models of recorders available. The ones I looked at several years ago when forming the Screen Attractions venture all ran on dedicated SGI computers.

ARRI-Laser recorders are very popular, too. Here's the specs.

FWIW, why can't you just run HD dailies on large monitors or DLP projection? That would save a ton of money, rather than renting an expensive film recorder (which won't even be used for the final output) and going through extra lab costs just to have 35mm dailies.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-10-2007 09:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nice medium rare ribeye steak twice a week should atake care of it's needs. Don't for get the baked potatoe with both butter and sour cream! And a couple of Heinekens!

Bob Healey
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2007 09:59 PM      Profile for Bob Healey   Email Bob Healey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, thanks for the links. I don't know why they are planning on doing film (4/35 and 8/70) dailies in addition to the projector/decent sized monitor. It will by my problem to make it work though. And this may not happen, but the producer has a way of springing things on me 10 minutes after it must be done, so I'm trying to do research now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: