Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Porgy And Bess at the Zeigfeld in NYC

Author Topic: Porgy And Bess at the Zeigfeld in NYC
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2007 08:31 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a rare public screening of Porgy & Bess last night at the Zeigfeld Theatre in New York City. They ran an original release 35mm mag stereo IB Tech print, and wow, it was a treat to see it on the Zeigfeld's huge screen. Having never seen it before, I enjoyed Gershwin score and was surprised by how many songs I recognized but did not know that they originated in Porgy. On the plus side, it is always a treat to see a classic film at the Zeigfeld, a huge single screen theatre with a curtain and 70mm capabilities, and the mag stereo was spectacular. They ran film reel to reel, with perfect changeovers. On the minus side, the film was shown mostly out of focus, and they started the second reel with what looked like the film gate being open. The other issue with the presentation was that the notch filter that is supposed to remove the control tone from the mag surround track was either missing or not functioning, because we here the 15k tone throughout the film.

Overall, however, it was a really enjoyable evening.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-28-2007 11:07 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
because we have the 15k tone throughout the film.
You mean the 12kHz tone, don't you. They were missing the cat. 93 card from the MPU for these screenings.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-28-2007 07:14 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitch, was that focus evenly across the entire frame or focus in some areas and out in others? We ran this title 3 years ago and some reels had enough VS to cause it to be impossible to focus evenly across the whole frame. Could be same thing happening to this print. I would imagine that the print we ran has probably been junked as by now that warp would be enough to cause it not to run.

At the time we ran it, it was said to be the only existing original mag/IBT print out of the UCLA archive -- so much for reliable information. It is great to hear that it still exists in this awesome format. I am hoping the focus issue is human error and not VS.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2007 11:39 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd assume for a film of this rarity, you'd get up and complain about the focus issue wouldn't you?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-29-2007 03:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
You mean the 12kHz tone, don't you. They were missing the cat. 93 card from the MPU for these screenings.

The filters are not perfect; I've often heard 12kHz. tone in the past. These days that's probably at the limit of my hearing anyway. It's only recently that I've realised how much of the top end I've now lost, and it's happened over just a few years.

The Cat.93 cards are not easy to obtain; I managed to get one from Boston Light & Sound a few years ago.

Mitchell, are you still involved with the Loew's Jersey? I see they are just starting this year's season of events. If you can get them to finish installing the DP-70s they could run this print there [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2007 08:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can even hear the 12khz tone in some scenes of L.O.A. where they used the sound from that format.

Mark

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2007 08:42 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There exists a vintage 70mm Todd-AO print of PORGY AND BESS (original version with small subtitles in German), I believe it was shown at the London National Film Theatre some years ago. Image was dark red when I saw it the last time, but amazing sharpness and mag sound. The guy who owns the print told me that it has been shown at a film festival in the U.S., (maybe Seattle?) six or seven years ago IIRC.

I really would like to see new 70 prints of that one, but there seems to be some trouble with parts of the 65mm original negative.
In my opinion, Preminger made good use of Todd-AO in P&B and, in a totally different way, when he did EXODUS. Maybe the movie with greatest number of visible camera shadows showing nice Super Panavision cameras.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-29-2007 06:20 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was allot of litigation nonsense with it being withdrawn from distribution for many years by the Gershwin estate -- seems they were of the mind that since they didn't like the film, no one should see it. Typical aristocratic bullcrap mindset. So maybe they saw the light recently (or more likely they got paid lots and lots of money) and agreed to let it be shown here at the Zeigfeld. Mitchell, do you recall if it was still under the Samuel Goldwyn's logo? I wonder if they are releasing theatrically.

Sidney Poitier, it is rumored, who at first said he loved doing the film, later changed his mind; the change came after many in the black community were very upset with the vision of a black man on his knees for an entire film, as well as the sleazy nature of the Sammy Davis Jr. Sportin Life drug dealer character (which I think was a great role played deliciously by Davis). Evidently enough disapproval and pressure were brought to bare on Poitier that he eventually would denounce the film and join the Gerswhins in the move to get it squashed.

Maybe he should have been more upset about the bad dubbing -- the awfully obvious transitions between his voice and Robert McFerrin who dubbed him. In fact, the whole film is a veritable dubbing fest -- nearly EVERYONE's dubbed except, I think, the great Pearl Bailey.

Anyone know if it is yet on DVD? Seeing as how it has a commercial theatrical release at the Zegfield, perhaps it means that finally the Gerswhins who opposed it have relented (or died) and it may finally get the DVD release it deserves, now in HD!

It's a very flawed film, but has much going for it and certainly should be made available for the public to decide if they like it or not.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-29-2007 11:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did get to see "PORGY & BESS" in 35mm IB mag stereo at the long defunct Princess Theatre in downtown Honolulu during it's first run many years ago and enjoyed it very much. Like many, I am also waiting for the day when the Gershwin estate gives in and permit Columbia to release the movie on DVD

-Claude

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2007 08:53 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print in question came from a private collector from California, and was licenced for exhibition by The Samual Goldwyn company and the Gershwin estate. We were told that a representative of the Gershwin estate was present in the theatre to gauge the public's reaction to it.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-01-2007 10:06 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope their reaction was good...maybe then they'll see reason and release it.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2007 11:15 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the same screening as Mitchell, and had to get up several times to complain about the focus. While the film was enjoyable, I was not thrilled with the presentation.

Not only did they not filter the surround tone out, there was no surround. Focus was extremely poor, partly due perhaps to the print and the theater's optics, but partly due to the operator (there were reel changes where it took up to a minute for the projectionist to focus). Reel 2 started with the gate open (oops)!

There was effort put into it (curtain cues, general roadshow stuff), but it was a fairly lackluster performance for an upscale venue as the Ziegfeld.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-02-2007 03:58 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, knowing how badly mag IBT prints can warp, the focus COULD have been a print problem. And of course it could have very well be as you say, someone who, union or not, didn't know the focusing knob from the threading light switch. [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-02-2007 06:08 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the focus shifts were due to warpage of the mag print.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2007 07:55 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the focus shifts were due to warpage of the mag print.

I ran a 3 track mag print of "Jesus Christ Superstar" many years ago that was so warped you had to ride the focus for about the first half of each reel. We marked the focus knob to reset focus.
Bob

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: