Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Changeover guys/gals - test your skills (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Changeover guys/gals - test your skills
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-28-2007 07:31 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you think you can make those "perfect" changeovers? Don't mind the cartoon format, this little program will give you your eye/finger reaction time in hundredths of a second.

Cue --> Reaction : Time in hundreths of a second

Any of you math wizzes want to figure out how fast you have to be in order to get within a single frame accuracy....two....three...etc?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-28-2007 07:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Frank, I don't need that program to tell me that I am frame accurate with all of my changeovers, whether it is when I am running films on a platter or in my screening room under the CA21 command. [Razz]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-28-2007 07:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to cheat a bit: I would lace up the leader in the machine down a bit to when would hear the leader splice enter the trap is when I did the picture changeover..then, on the 2nd cue, is when I would do the sound changeover. Total delay was about one half of a second.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-28-2007 09:05 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank: HUH?

Length of reaction time has nothing to do with frame-accuracy of changeovers, unless your reaction time exceeds the better part of a second. What's important is consistency of reaction time. You simply thread such that your changeovers will be accurate for your own reaction time. End of story.

--jhawk

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-28-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Monty

Why?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-28-2007 10:54 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, you are right, and of course that means that if you REALLY want to get it accurate as humanly possible, you first have to determine the exact time each of the projectors ramped up to full speed, which might not even be the same for each machine, and then each projectionist who worked the booth would need to determine his own "personal" response time and adjust down from there to compensate for that.

And believe me, those of us old enough to know what it was like when all houses were changeover know at least a few of those really old guys whose reaction time sure did exceed the better part of a second. And you knew who they were by watching them thread up on [3] "just to be on the safe side," as one of them once explained it to me. And even THEN you couldn't be sure they would hit it. Hells, they could fall asleep between the MOTOR/SYNC cue and the C/O cue! OK, I exagerate, but you KNEW they were threading on some ridiculously low number when you heard the garbled sound because the sound drum did not get up to speed and saw that tell-tale picture continuity jump so badly that it was painfully obvious you just missed something. [Eek!]

You think these times of the minimum wage splice-monkeys are scary....don't let anyone kid you, the change-over days had some scary scenarios as well. At least the platter prevents some clown from changing over to the last 5 min. of the last reel so he can get home early on a Friday night.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-28-2007 11:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
At least the platter prevents some clown from changing over to the last 5 min. of the last reel so he can get home early on a Friday night
I've known changeover kids to skip an entire reel just to beat it out of the theatre early on any night when they can get away with it.

On that "delayed" changeover trick that I sometimes used, it was for the reason to "blend" the changeover, and on certain reels, I would "blend" opposite - sound first, then picture. But, on new prints with uncut head leaders, then I would do the conventional changeover.

(That's pretty sad when they have to lace down to the number "3" in the framebox. I always maintained between "8" and "7" on the academy leader and be in the "5" section on the clocksweep leader)

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-28-2007 11:06 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sure, Frank. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Measured the actual projector speed, the ramp-up time, made a spreadsheet for common changeover lengths, did up a nice threading diagram, and posted it on the side of the lamphouse. It is indeed slightly different for two adjacent machines...

Like this:
 -

Each operator can choose the proper reaction time ("fudge factor"). Yellow line goes through 500ms, which seems to be typical.

The "self-clocking" method (I'd attribute it to Steve K.) is a handy way to check yourself and soforth, but then you run into an uncut print and screw yourself.

Threading to 8 on an academy leader? Perhaps our Centuries are just a tad fast (insert Mark G. jackrabbit comment), but perhaps you guys are shortchanging the last second of the outgoing reel? Motor start on motor cue. Pause ONE FULL SECOND after the changeover cue, and then hit the changeover button. That last second is there to be shown.

--jhawk

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-29-2007 12:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like that flash game. I kept waiting until the sheep got on a perfect vertical line above the tranquilizer dart, but it penalized me 2/10ths of a second for that. I guess I'm too used to video games.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-2007 01:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Perhaps our Centuries are just a tad fast (insert Mark G. jackrabbit comment), but perhaps you guys are shortchanging the last second of the outgoing reel? Motor start on motor cue. Pause ONE FULL SECOND after the changeover cue, and then hit the changeover button. That last second is there to be shown.
Nope, nowadays most brand new prints only have 18 frames after the changeover cue, and since most films run at 24 frames per second, you have to wait 3/4 of a second to do the changeover! That was messing with me this year at Telluride as I did some practice changeovers because I am so used to 24 frames after the last cue.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-29-2007 03:45 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Nope, nowadays most brand new prints only have 18 frames after the changeover cue, and since most films run at 24 frames per second, you have to wait 3/4 of a second to do the changeover! That was messing with me this year at Telluride as I did some practice changeovers because I am so used to 24 frames after the last cue.
I remember something about this change being posted here a couple of years ago. However, I often see to opposite happening; the c/o cue is early on the print, by anything up to 5 or 6 extra frames, so there could be up to about 30 frames from first frame of cue to LFOA. It just varies from print to print, and sometimes from reel to reel. That's before people start chopping odd frames out of the print. I can only think that they're dooing this to allow for the loss of some frames at the reel ends during the life of the print; it's happening too often to be an eror. Then, of course' there are the prints, mainly from French labs, which have no cues at all, unless someone as scribed some huge, ugly handmade ones [Frown]

What was the official reason for the change to 18 frames; was it that people were tending to change too early, and missing too many frames at the end of the reel?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-29-2007 06:50 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I used to wait one second before hitting the switch, too (or, listen for the incoming splice, depending on the action).

FWIW, it was 18 frames in the "old days". I used to run a repertory booth for many years, and some of the classics I got new prints of were cued this way.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-29-2007 09:25 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was no way I could wait a full second back in my changeover days. A lot of the prints we got had been through so many platter theatres, each of which would cut off one or more frames to get rid of the splice tape, that often the changeover cue was MISSING, let alone having frames left after it.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO you guys are being far to analytical about this. Reel breaks were normally placed where a change can occur and not affect the story if a half second or so was cut. Think Dorothy opening the door at the end of Wizard of Oz, R-1. Think the leopard licking his chops at the end of 2001, R-1. Thread on 8 or 9 (Academy) or 6.25 (SMPTE) and let 'er rip. You'll catch a perfect fade-out, fade-in every time.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-29-2007 03:23 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Rick, somebody's got to be too analytical.

Yes, it's true, often there are 18 frames. During inspection, of course, we count the distance between and after cue dots, and right it down on the cue sheet, and then of course our projectionists adjust their timing based on that. Sorry for leaving out yet another detail [Smile]

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: