Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My Dream

Author Topic: My Dream
Dave Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2007 07:46 AM      Profile for Dave Ritchie   Email Dave Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the past 8 years i have not been able to get the idea of owning a cinema out of my head,
I am currently managing a 3 screen cinema but find that most of my spare time i am thinking of what i would do if i had a free hand to improve the quality of screening and to attract more customers through the door , My boss has told me that he has been in the business to long and he just doesn't have the interest he once did, all tho the cinema is not on the market he has told me that if i could come up with the money he would sell it to me. i have been to the bank and they have told me that they would not lend me the money to buy a building of that size unless i was going to remove the cinema and convert the building into shops and rent them out as they see that as a better investment (some people are so small minded).
And talking to other people in the lending industry i would need a huge deposit before they would even look at me (unfortunately i just don't have that sort of money)
So i have been thinking of ways to get the money together- I've been thinking that with the internet and the access to so many people over the world that if i could do
something that would atrack say 100000 people to part with $5 each then i would have enough for a decent deposit, So i ask - what would you deem a worthy course to part with a few dollars,
If i was just aiming for people here i could say i would paint Sponsored by Film Tech above the ticket office or get Brads portrait tattooed me,

I'm not sure if this idea is that valid but there is nothing that will stop me trying to have my own cinema and i'm going to keep trying things till i do

Thanks for any input

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2007 10:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave...

Always persue your dream! Have you thought about locating some money people to back you. There is always someone looking to either shelter some money or use it as a write off... it can't be any dofferent down under. A route like this is alot more likely to happen but you need to get an entire presentation together to present to a possible money person(s).

Mark

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2007 05:39 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave--

A dream generally ALWAYS comes true. Just keep a positive
attitude! [thumbsup]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-05-2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you could meet all the banks criteria, you probably wouldn't need a loan. They're looking at for your ability to repay and they don't see a cinema as being able to do it.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2007 06:59 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Ritchie
i have been to the bank and they have told me that they would not lend me the money to buy a building of that size unless i was going to remove the cinema and convert the building into shops and rent them out as they see that as a better investment (some people are so small minded).
Hi Dave, I am not sure if its small minded, probably just honest! Cinema is a low margin business and offers a poor return for your investment compared to other options. Over the last 50 years one thing has changed, major cinema chains now tend to be tenents in large shopping centre designed and built multiplexs or shopping centre owners.

Is it possible to move the cinemas upstairs? and build a ground floor shopping arcade? The bank might even understand the economic logic when you point out the reasons that the big shopping centres build them, mainly because they can draw crowds from a much larger region to the centre who would usually shop elsewhere allowing pemium rents ect.

It may be radical way of modernising the cinema!

quote: Dave Ritchie
but find that most of my spare time i am thinking of what i would do if i had a free hand to improve the quality of screening and to attract more customers through the door
Rebuilding as stadium seating upstairs? That in itself would free up floor space! some additional screens? What else would be needed to set up your dream cinema to last the next 20 years plus.

Best of luck [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: