Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "CE3K" --- Happy 30th! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "CE3K" --- Happy 30th!
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2007 04:25 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"We are not alone."

On November 16, 1977, thirty years ago today, Steven Spielberg's "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind" was released. In one theatre, anyway.

Using a platform release strategy, Columbia Pictures opened "Close Encounters" on Wednesday, Nov. 16 at the ZIEGFELD THEATRE in New York City and two days later at the CINERAMA DOME in Los Angeles. The national release began in a couple-hundred theatres on Dec. 14.

I saw the movie at the CINEMA 70 in the Del Monte Shopping Center in Monterey, California. At the time I was a nine-year-old Army Brat (my parents were stationed at nearby Fort Ord). I slept through much of the movie but remember being awakened by the powerful musical score and overbearing sound during the film's finale. I can't say that I liked the movie at the time thinking it was rather slow and not as fun and enjoyable as "Star Wars." However, after seeing the film numerous times over the years on TV, various video formats and a few theatrical screenings, my current opinion is that I think it is a great movie and one of the best in Spielberg's illustrious career.

"Close Encounters" was nominated for eight Academy Awards, winning for Cinematography. In addition, it was awarded a special achievement Oscar for Sound Effects Editing. With a domestic boxoffice gross topping $100 million (in an era when $100 million defined a blockbuster), the film was the third-highest-grossing film released in 1977 ("Star Wars" and "Smokey And The Bandit" were one and two, respectively).

Among the original bookings were a couple-dozen 70-millimeter prints, most of which are identified below. These were, arguably, the best venues in which to experience the movie during that initial release.

RELEASED NOV. 16, 1977
New York, NY: Ziegfeld

RELEASED NOV. 18, 1977
Los Angeles, CA: Cinerama Dome

RELEASED DEC. 14, 1977
Belleville, IL: BAC Cinema
Bloomington, MN: Southtown
Boston, MA: Cinema 57
Calumet City, IL: River Oaks
Chicago, IL: Esquire
Costa Mesa, CA: South Coast Plaza
Denver, CO: Cooper
Evergreen, IL: Evergreen
Fort Worth, TX: Ridglea
Honolulu, HI: Waikiki 3
Houston, TX: Alabama
Houston, TX: Town and Country Village
Lakewood, CA: Lakewood Center
Little Rock, AR: Cinema 150
Livonia, MI: Mai Kai
Los Angeles, CA: Paramount (move-over from Cinerama Dome)
Louisville, KY: Showcase Cinemas
Orange, CA: Cinedome
Paramus, NJ: Route 4 Triplex
Pasadena, CA: Hastings
Philadelphia, PA: Sameric
Pittsburgh, PA: Warner
Pittsford, NY: Pittsford Triplex
Portland, OR: Eastgate
Salt Lake City, UT: Regency
San Diego, CA: Cinema 21
San Francisco, CA: Coronet
Santa Clara, CA: Cinema 150
Skokie, IL: Old Orchard
Southfield, MI: Americana
Southgate, MI: Southgate
Toledo, OH: Showcase Cinemas
West Allis, WI: Southtown

RELEASED DEC. 21, 1977
Monterey, CA: Cinema 70
Palm Springs, CA: Camelot
Portland, OR: Town Center
Santa Barbara, CA: Granada

(Since I seem to be the resident "listmaniac," maybe before the year is over, just for Mike Heenan, I'll do up a "Smokey And The Bandit" tribute and will list the venues that showed it in "Bandit Vision"! [Wink] )

So...who else has any memories of seeing "Close Encounters" way back when? Anyone prefer one of the recut versions over the original?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2007 07:07 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Close Encounters" at the Ziegfeld the following spring. Aside from SenSurround it was the first time I'd heard subwoofers in a cinema.
At the time, Radio City Music Hall was playing "Crossed Swords" in 70mm. I saw that in the morning, a 70mm revival of "South Pacific" at the Cinerama on Broadway in the afternoon and CE in 70mm at the Ziegfeld in the evening.
Bob

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2007 08:31 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it on it's opening weekend in RKO Stanley Warner Route 4 Triplex Paramus NJ. We waited in line for over an hour. The film opened in the "big" auditorium, which held around 1000 people. Almost every show that weekend was sold out. I liked the film, but I too thought Star Wars was better (still do).

I do like the 1980 special edition better. The original version's mental breakdown went on way too long. By the time he was playing with the mashed potatos, I had enough. Trimming the excess and adding some nice touches such as the UFO shadows across the fields improved the film greatly. This is one of the few films that I felt the directors cut was better than the original.

On the other hand, as Richard Dryfuss was boarding the ship at the end, I kept thinking of the Twilight Zone "To Serve Man"...

Just a FYI, although newspaper advertising at the time refered to the theatre as the Route 4 Triplex, at the time the complex consisted of 2 seperate buildings, and the signage refered to one as The Stanley Warner, which was the original theatre that had it's balcony walled off to make a twin, and The Route 4 Cinema which was built from the ground up years later. Each had it's own entrance, boxoffice, projection, etc.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-16-2007 08:59 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite of all time. The opening sequence with the soundtrack orchestra building to that one bombastic chord took my breath away. The special added subs that were added (at Columbia's own cost, I was told) sure did enhance the experience; the whole theatre vibrated -- you could feel it in the pit of your stomach when the big mother ship decended.

Funny thing is, it seems like it was only a few years ago, certainly not 30, when I saw it at the Ziegfeld. It was only opened for a few weeks and I went back over and over again, dragging everyone I knew to see it. I saw it at least four times at the Zieg.

And I ran it just two weeks ago for a few friends and it still stands up incredibly well as a terrific piece of story-telling. And special effects -- hey, there are as good if not better than some of the glitzy fluff stuff today, and they got it all with nary a CGI frame to be found anywhere.

Interesting thing was, the kid in the film looked like a clone of my nephew who was about the same age at the time. He is now nearly a head taller than me.

What is really scary, is that it was 30 years ago.....it boggles the mind, this time-warp compression we are caught in.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-16-2007 11:20 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also saw it at the Zig; froze my ass off waiting on line as all shows were running about 1 hour late. I remember staring at the Burlington display while talking to friends, waiting in the cold and wind. Everyone applauded like crazy at the end of the train track scene.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-16-2007 05:52 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

(Since I seem to be the resident "listmaniac," maybe before the year is over, just for Mike Heenan, I'll do up a "Smokey And The Bandit" tribute and will list the venues that showed it in "Bandit Vision"! [Wink] )

Bring it on, good buddy. [Big Grin]

-

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that ya sumbitch. [thumbsup]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-16-2007 06:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it opening weekend at the Edwards South Coast Plaza in 70mm (I believe that was originally a Mann location, pretty sure it was Edwards by this time though). Sold out show, lots of anticipation, very memorable for that opening scene that Frank mentions. I'm fine with the original theatrical cut. I never liked the versions showing Dreyfuss in the mothership as much as the original cut.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-16-2007 08:00 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On one of the lists Michael wrote up, the South Coast Plaza was a Mann Theatre at the time of the original opening of Close Encounters.

I saw Close Encounters opening week at Pacific's Cinerama Dome and later on the move-over to the SRO's Paramount Theatre in Hollywood. Both 70MM engagements were amazing. And over the years have seen it at the Cinerama Dome and Picwood Theatres in the Special Edition version in 70MM.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 10:54 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the film I most regret not seeing in 70mm. The first time I saw it was at the non-Dolby equipped Loews Westervile Twin. In fact, I've never seen the film in stereo in any theatre.

The final part of that film, from the reveal of the mothership to the end, is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in a theatre. My one critique is that much too long mashed potato scene.

Those were the days when special effects were really special, since they were all in some way mechanical. Computer imagery takes a lot of the magic out of cinema.

Robert W. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 05:45 PM      Profile for Robert W. Jones   Email Robert W. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see a run in Phoenix, AZ on the list, but I did see it at the Metrocenter Cinema (3-plex?) when it was release. I prefer the director's cut with the added opening scenes (Mongolian ship).

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-18-2007 12:30 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND did play it;s opening engagement at the Waikiki #3 in Honolulu but in 35mm and not 70mm. Because of that, I was fortunate to see it in 70mm at the Coronet Theatre in San Francisco on my way home from another photographic conference. The film did play in 70mm in Honolulu when it was moved over to the Waikiki #2 about two weeks later.

By the way, I just purchased the new three disc set of the movie featuring the original version, the special edition and the director's cut on DVD and what little I saw looked and sounded great!

-Claude

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-18-2007 10:49 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
Houston, TX: Town and Country Village
All info I've found on the Town and Country Village says it didn't exist until the early 80s.

I think they probably just put a typo and it's a "Town and Country Village" for some other city.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2007 04:46 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
All info I've found on the Town and Country Village says it didn't exist until the early 80s.

I think they probably just put a typo and it's a "Town and Country Village" for some other city.

Chris,

I did that "CE3K" research a few years ago, but after reading your post I pulled my original notes, trade articles, newspaper ad photocopies, etc. to double check. And, indeed, one of the movie's Houston bookings was at the TOWN & COUNTRY. It was a 3-screener at the time and operated by Loews.

So...it's not a typo. Why do you believe the theater in question opened in the '80s? What's your source(s)?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-18-2007 05:24 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing the mall must've been built after the theater then.

edit:
My reasoning was that all info I saw referred to the name Town & Country being used due to being nearby the Town & Country Mall which was built in the early 80s. And the Town & Country Village (strip mall) was built around the same time as the mall.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: