Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Incandescent light bulbs rule. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Incandescent light bulbs rule.
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-26-2007 07:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK first of all I highly dislike the term "Green". I am annoyed when people and businesses say "were going green" or some such retarded nonsense. Anyway, I recently bought some of those light bulbs that are shaped like a swirly fluorescent turd so I could do my part in saving the planet and making it "green". Now my room seems extremely green-orange-yellow-ish. If I had wanted yellow light emitting from my fixture, I would have purchased a yellow light bulb. But nope, this is the natural color for these things. With incandescent light bulbs my eyeballs can at least white-balance themselves so everything appears to be the correct color. Not so here.

I say "Who cares about the planet?" What has it ever done for me? This planet can kiss my ass, I'm using real light bulbs instead of this pansie-ass neo-hippie "green" shit. I'm not gonna display any AIDS or breast cancer ribbons, either!

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-26-2007 08:10 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All my outdoor and indoor lighting is a mix of LED or flourescent except for 3 - 4 antique halogens [Big Grin] Color temperature can be rangled by checking what you are buying. We are saving an average of $40.00 / month on electric since the change out. Next is the 50 year old water heater [Roll Eyes]
Phillips is the largest vendor of LED lighting and our old friendly conglomorate G.E. is pushing their classic "cheap to buy" incandescent bulbs...should be cheap, they probably paid off the light bulb machinery 50 - 70 years ago [Razz]

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2007 08:48 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I just an aging hippie, or does anyone else think this whole "green" idea (while noble in intent) has been almost instantly co-opted, and is little more than a smokescreen for more profiteering?

Suddenly - REALLY suddenly - "green" is the new way to market your company image. Suddenly "global warming" has been given equal ranking in the lineup on the docu-cable-channels (formerly "all sharks, mummies, Nazis and UFOs all the time). And suddenly you're a jerk if you use incandescent bulbs or throw out a can of paint instead of waiting in line to dispose of it at a hazardous waste facility (that it takes 5 gallons of gas to get to).

The energy my house uses in a year, the average pizzeria uses in an hour.

That said, I'm using the new fluoro bulbs now that they're affordable - sick of replacing incandescents every time I turn around.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2007 10:57 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These bulbs have their place. We use one over the projection box stairs – a 11 Watt replacing a 60 Watt incan that used to blow regularly. They are great for utility areas and passageways.

Unfortunately they can’t be dimmed so they are useless in auditoriums and living rooms. They can’t be used in security lights.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-26-2007 11:43 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, I understand that they have made some progress with that. There are some that actually can be dimmed, but they are more expensive. And you have to be careful if you've got dirty AC -- they are not very tolerant of crapy AC. The AC in one of our buildings has so much junk on the line that the X10 units become quite unreliable.

When we put the non-dim compact florescent units in any of those fixtures you mention that would normally be ideal for a light that is difficult to reach, we found these things zapping out faster than incandescents normally last -- some going out with a nice loud zap sound, some arcing sparks and a puff of smoke. They certainly aren't as benign as incandescents and not very "green" if they wind up burning the building down.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-27-2007 12:23 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I run a historic building, my rule of thumb is: If people can see the bulb, then I use an incandescent. If people can't see it (like in the booth) then the flouro bulb goes in.

We're using a bunch of LED Christmas lights this year at the house...they actually seem to have better (deeper) colors than the C7 bulbs we used before.

I read today in 'The Week' that even if the US were to stop burning fossil fuels completely right now, the greenhouse gases created from increasing coal burning in developing countries would still cause significant global warming anyway, so if all those predictions come true we're screwed no matter what we do.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2007 12:26 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We began replacing our R30 60w incan floods in the lobby and hallways (total of 110 bulbs) with GE 15w R30 compact fluorescents during summer of '06 and just about have all of them replaced. I'm trying a few of the dimmable types on some wall sconces in the auditoriums to see if they hold up. So far we've only had 3-4 of the non-dimmables die early, but I had those replaced by GE in short order. So far none of the dimmables have died. We also noticed that our lobby stayed much cooler this past summer when we actually had temps in the low 90's and up.

The only down side that I have noticed is that they take some time come up to full lumens when first turned on, if the ambient air temp is say below 80. This is an annoyance in the booth where we keep it around 67. The projector work lights start out really dim for the first 30-60 seconds until the gas heats up.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-27-2007 12:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I switched pretty much everything over to flourescents. Everything in my house and everywhere else that isn't on some sort of dimmer, that is. It just took some getting used to flipping the light switch, stopping thinking to myself "you dip you didn't actually flip the light switch" and then it would turn on as I was leaning back to hit the light switch. Other than that, I've no problem with the color temperature. They are cheaper to run, they last longer and most importantly they don't heat up the place! Why just about every movie theater booth would have a couple of track lighting aiming at the projector with a 500 WATT FLOODLIGHT in them I've no idea, but it must be some booth law I am not aware of. (They all have the 100W equivalent flourescents in them now. [thumbsup] )

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-27-2007 02:15 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Why just about every movie theater booth would have a couple of track lighting aiming at the projector with a 500 WATT FLOODLIGHT
..probably so the 'button pushers' can see the framebox to frame and to clean the machine since their sups climb all over the operators for cleaniness checks.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-27-2007 02:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nowhere on the packaging of these turd bulbs is anything about color temperature. One side is English, and the other side is in moon language. Maybe the light isn't white since white isn't politically correct?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-27-2007 04:37 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Nowhere on the packaging of these turd bulbs is anything about color temperature.
It does on almost all on the ones I buy here, either directly, e.g. 2700K, like the one I've got in my hand at the moment, or as a three figure number, e.g. 830 or 840. In this case the first digit indicates the Colour Rendering Index, 8 = between 80 and 90, which it will be for just about all lamps of this type, and the last two digits multiplied by 100 are the correlated colour temerature.

Screw-in or bayonet ones with an integrated ballast are almost always between 2700K and 3000K because they're designed to look like the incandescent lamps which they're intended to replace. The pin base type for use with a separate ballast can be obtained in a much wider range; 827, 830, 835, 840 and 865 (daylight) at least, and I've never seen one of these where it wasn't marked on the box. For some reason in the U.S. 4100K seems to be used rather than 400K; I don't know if this is a real difference, or just caused by a difference in the way it is measured.

I've got a Chinese-made American one, if you see what I mean, It's branded 'Feit', in my bedside lamp, and I've just looked at that; I don't have the box for it, but the lamp itself is marked.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2007 05:37 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a ceiling fan with a light fixture rated at a maximum of 60W. Not really enough light output with an incandescent bulb but a compact flouro rated at eq: 75W solved the problem. I think the power draw is now around 20 watts.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-27-2007 08:25 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

You can thank Al Gore for the "Green" terminology! Isn't he your buddy????

At home we use a combination of Florescent/incandescent/halogen/Aladdin Lamp to light the house. The latter also gives off so much BTU that it assists in heating the home in the winter. The Aladdin's are the equivelent of a 75 watt lamp running at full tilt and the color spectrum is close to an incandescent type of light because of the incandessence of the radioactive mantle. Great way to fool the neighbors when the power goes out(oh yea, we have power) [Cool] .

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-27-2007 10:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halogen kicks ass. It is great knowing that at any moment they will spontaneously combust and ignite everything into a fiery inferno. That makes every day the thrill ride of the summer. I have never met Al Gore, but his wife is, like, soooo totally lame.

quote: Stephen Furley
It does on almost all on the ones I buy here
Your bulbs are in PAL and are therefore totally different and incompatible with out sockets. The closest thing to color temperature the packaging says is "A EQUIV".

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-27-2007 10:21 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about any consumer-level fluorescent lamp is going to give off a nasty yellow cast.

Industrial level "high output daylight" fluorescent lamps emit white light much closer to the 6500K color temperature. The downside is they have to be hooked up to heavy duty ballasts and the wiring should be in metal conduit to UL specifications. This is also not a very "green" approach. You'll see with your electric bill!
[evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: