Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Try to break the forums! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Try to break the forums!
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-01-2007 06:44 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All --

I've just moved the forums to a new server running many different versions of supporting software.

Please try things out and report anything that isn't working.

Thanks,

Daryl

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-01-2007 06:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When viewing a page in a long thread (one that spans multiple pages), if I click on a page number link to jump forward or backward, I get "404" page not found.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-01-2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gur dhvpx oebja sbk whzcrq bire gur ynml qbt'f gnvy juvyr gur qbt ngr n pna bs pnivne juvpu zl nhag, jub hfrq gb yvir va Ubobxra, oebhtug zr va pryroengvba bs gur pragraavny bs gur byq erq pbhegubhfr ba gur pbeare bs Jnfuvatgba Fgerrg naq Fgngr Fgerrg. Url, jul vf nyy guvf grkg ebg13'q?

[evil]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 12-01-2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fixed, thanks.

Scott --

x 5@?VE <?@H] #~%cfVD 36EE6CP

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-01-2007 07:09 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a new problem, but for as long as I can remember, if I'm logged out for whatever reason (or I'm using a different/foreign PC -- no cookies), I get an error message when I log in.

FYI
A search or login error has occured. Please click here to go to the master forum index.

BTW, things seem very snappy. [Smile]

Also also, "occurred" has 2 r's. [uhoh] [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 12-01-2007 07:19 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the way Infopop shipped it!

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-02-2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It still doesn't have collapsing sections, a social network, web 2.0 style buttons, customization, style sheets, extensive use of AJAX and flash, the direct url blocking prevents threads from being able to go viral, and the url has to many vowels in it. Should be more like FilmTchr or something.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-02-2007 05:27 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a good thing the forums don't use flash.

flash isn't something that works particularly well on linux. And there's no version of flash at all for 64-bit computers (you'll have to trick the browser into using the 32-bit player).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-03-2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this isn't exactly what you were wanting... but more smilies, please! [Wink] I think we've always needed one of a BIG laugh - a regular guffaw.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2007 12:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what this one is for: [ian]

If you've ever met Ian, you'd know.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-03-2007 01:26 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
: rofl : [rofl]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-03-2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
I think it's a good thing the forums don't use flash.
There's a lot of good things about Flash. Flash Video is certainly taking over on a lot of sites that stream video -with YouTube being the biggest user. The only thing I don't like about Flash is how it behaves in sites with lots of CSS and DHTML. You can't put anything in a DIV layer above anything Flash-based since it always wants to be on top in graphical object stacking. Flash 8 and Flash 9 support alpha channel transparency, which helps things a bit.

The folks maintaining Film-Tech are free to choose what kinds of graphics formats the site supports. But I do feel it is missing something in not supporting any vector-based graphics file formats.

SVG, another Adobe creation (with input from the WWW Consortium SVG Working Group), is an alternative. Most modern web browsers now have native support for SVG -although Internet Explorer requires a plug-in (available from Adobe). And I'm pretty sure it is 64-bit friendly. The open source vector-drawing application, Inkscape, saves artwork in SVG format. Still, you're going to get far better results on creating and saving SVG files from Adobe Illustrator. Adobe Illustrator, Acrobat Pro and InDesign are also best at creating PDF files.

It's also worth mentioning that Adobe has released a lot of its own privately developed code into the Open Source realm via its ASL libraries. Some of this is a shrewd business move to make certain features of SVG, Flash and PDF technology more ubiquitous on lots of different devices -and head off any crap Microsoft tries to pull.

quote: Chris Slycord
flash isn't something that works particularly well on linux. And there's no version of flash at all for 64-bit computers (you'll have to trick the browser into using the 32-bit player).
64-bit operating systems and Linux are not mainstream computer user items. Likewise, Adobe isn't in a big hurry to recompile all of their applications in 64-bit form.

Perhaps 64-bit could come to pass when Adobe's "CS4" suites get released in 2009. The bigger pressure on Adobe right now is to get more of their applications coded in multi-threaded form to take advantage of multi-core or multi-processor systems. Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects are the company's only major applications which take advantage of multiple cores or multiple processors.

Still, the 4GB RAM limit with 32-bit applications can be a problem when dealing with really large graphics files. When you're editing a Photoshop file in excess of 1GB or 2GB a computer system can start really bogging down even if you have 4GB of RAM, the latest CPUs and graphics cards.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2007 11:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The folks maintaining Film-Tech are free to choose what kinds of graphics formats the site supports. But I do feel it is missing something in not supporting any vector-based graphics file formats.
Pffft. We've tried that before... looooong ago. I still have builds of this website on my computer that I made from Flash. Like most Flash websites it was all style, little function. Bitmapped graphics load quickly, look less retarded and the site is much zippier and more easily updatable as a result.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-04-2007 07:32 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a few exceptions (low-quality video that needs to load quickly, product demonstrations/training, and Flash-based "art" (some of which is actually pretty well done)), Flash pretty much sucks. It defeats the purpose of the web by not working on all platforms and with all browsers, is difficult to index and search, and is proprietary to Macromedia/Adobe.

Another issue is that Flash is commonly used for advertising and, as a result of annoying Flash-based ads, many of us don't install the plugin or use Flashblock (Firefox plug-in) to load Flash material only when necessary.

Agreed that Win64 and Linux aren't as "mainstream" as Win32 and OS X, but the whole point of the web is to make material available in a format that can be used on nearly any platform with a wide variety of client software. I'm presently using the Lynx browser (really) on 64-bit Solaris, and F-T (and pretty much any well-designed web site) is entirely usable.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-04-2007 12:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Pffft. We've tried that before... looooong ago. I still have builds of this website on my computer that I made from Flash.
I'm not suggesting the entire F-T site be made in Flash. Most web sites that use Flash at all use SWF files composed within a regular HTML-based layout.

quote: Scott Norwood
Flash pretty much sucks. It defeats the purpose of the web by not working on all platforms and with all browsers, is difficult to index and search, and is proprietary to Macromedia/Adobe.
This is one reason why I mentioned SVG. Despite its Postscript origins and Adobe's involvement SVG is an open source format with XML-based code.

Entertainment and leisure are driving purposes for the Internet. Because of that, technologies like Flash will be here to stay -at least until something even better comes along. Flash is supported on the vast majority of computers in use. Systems where Flash doesn't provide good support are very proprietary themselves.

quote: Joe Redifer
Bitmapped graphics load quickly, look less retarded and the site is much zippier and more easily updatable as a result.
When it comes to logos, graphics and type nothing beats vector artwork on both file size efficiency and image quality -especially when the graphics are increased in size. Vector graphics are scalable and resolution independent, unlike a raster-based image in GIF or JPEG.

As to what looks retarded, I feel that type and graphics that have been eaten up with Photoshop filters often look very cheesy. Let's distort the type and throw in a lens flare while we're at it so we can get an even more cheesy, amateur-hour look!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: