Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Are you a Golfer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Are you a Golfer?
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-10-2007 10:30 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any Film-Tech'ers play the greatest game? Ever had any interest beyond putt-putt?

While on a sojourn to Kentucky last month, my father and brothers took me to their home club and I played my very first round of golf! I was terrible, but I must admit I am hooked. Ever since then, I've been trying to learn as much as I can about the game, the players, and the fundamental skills. Thank goodness for The Golf Channel! [Smile] I'm watching (or TIVO-ing) a lot of the instructional programs. Beth Daniel is good.

I'd occasionally watched golf on broadcast television over the years, but never imagined I would ever actually get out there and do it. It sure is a lot of fun - and a heck of a lot harder than it looks! There are so many variables. It's very challenging.

So what are some of your golfing experiences? How long have you played? How'd you get started? Who are your favorite players? What are your choice equipment picks?

Check me out... my swing is awful! But I sure had fun. [Smile]

-

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-10-2007 11:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Videogame golf kicks ass. Real golf, not so much.

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2007 11:36 PM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I play alot of golf. And now being in the theatre biz and working nights i hope to play alot more. The golf channel is great but i would recomend spending a few bucks and taking a few private lessons from a pro. I think i paid 90 bucks for 3 30 min lessons here. Also if i am looking at your grip on the club right your hands are in the wrong position to grip the club. If you are right handed your left had should be on top and right on the bottom. If you are left handed get left haded clubs, turn around, and use the same grip.
Edit: Alot of my golf expeinces involve alot of drinking if played on weekends. Also as i said about lessons, spend your money on them not equipment yet

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2007 12:50 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim; I thank the guy that put me on the booze more,than the one that first took me to the golf course.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-11-2007 07:28 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you shop for clubs, check out the thrift (second hand) stores. These stores almost always have lots of golf clubs, a lot of individual clubs as well as sets complete with bags. My sister bought a mega hundred dollar set for $35. Everybody I know who plays says it is the most frustrating thing they have ever attempted.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-11-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Playing golf during the winter months can be tons of fun, esp, when seeing the ball take a nasty bounce on the frozen ground from a crushing line drive hit from the teebox..and using tripod tees, or even anything that can get the ball high enough for a good 11 degree driver face.

Forget about sinking the putt since the cups are froze over with ice..

Yet, I'm an "iron man." Using a No.'1' Driver Iron seems to work better for me than using woods on the teebox.

Also, what can really bite is when you teach your kids the game and they show you up real bad after one season. Case in point: showed my daughter, who was 12 at the time, the game - the holds, approaches, swings and followthroughs, putting and what have you, and from on til she graduated from high school, she placed in our town's sponsored Youth Golf tournaments, 80's and 90's for 18 holes in 4person best ball...and I'm still a hacker of sorts..

It was back in the early 80's that our theatre boss taught me the game and I was hooked from then on since he was almost pro and took me out many times on the range, then finally on the courses.....and caddied for him on his tournament.

Tim, as you prob noticed, that being out there in the cold and wild swinging that club playing "pasture pool", was the best experience you've ever had - being that you completely forgot about the world around you - it's noises, complications and headaches and just totally enjoyed the game...plus the exersize does wonders as well when you walk that 3.5miles doing 18 holes.

I do much better in bowling though .. having a 186 avg..

-Monte

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-11-2007 09:55 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Timmy, but to me, playing or watching golf is on *par* with watching paint dry. [Razz] [sleep]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-11-2007 10:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely, the women in my family almost all play golf, but most of the men don't, except one of my brothers-in-law.

My former business partner (the same bro-in-law) tried to get me interested in it, but somebody had to stay and run the theatre while the other went out and played golf, so I never learned.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2007 11:29 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I play regularly and its one of the reasons I am glad that I moved to Little Rock. I can play for the majority of the year!

It is one of the most enjoyable, frustrating and rewarding things I have ever done.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-12-2007 01:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, it's like night and day between watching golf (which is horribly boring) and actually playing the game (which make one think on how to place his next shot or putting to the cup).

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2007 01:31 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to play and watch sports. But I cant stand golf. I have a lot more fun in a batting cage hitting baseballs instead of golfing away.

And golf on TV... oh god.

Tim Rectanus
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2007 08:41 AM      Profile for Tim Rectanus   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Rectanus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love it and play as often as I can which most of the year means once a week or so, vacation weeks that number jumps up to around 4 or 5. Being in North Carolina means that we can play year round and still be able to feel your hands, plus there are golf courses aplenty. And it is unseasonably warm right now, 75-80 today, so that is an added bonus.

Tim, Scott is right on, spend a couple bucks to get a lesson from a local Pro (there is still time to ask for it for Christmas if you want). The grip is the first thing you need to learn, everything stems from your grip, and a bad one can really mess the learning curve up and eventually frustrate the hell out of you. I can't actually tell by the pic if you are playing left or right handed, if you swung and missed the ball or are going to miss the ball in a moment. The clubhead looks Righty but with oversized clubs the way they are, it can be hard to tell.

If you are going to buy clubs, your local sports store will have "beginner set" that will normally contain everything you need for about $150-$300. Those are great b/c you don't have to worry about individual items and the performance is going to be good enough that you couldn't tell a difference right now. After you play a while (a year or two depending on frequency) and figure out that you like it, and get better, you can upgrade then. If you go the used/thrist store/pawn shop route for clubs, remember that the older the clubs the harder they are to hit. Blades (irons where the backs have a similar shape as the face of the club) are impossible for beginners, and most average golfers, because of their very small sweet spots. Cavity backs are the way to go b/c they offer more forgiveness on off-center hits.

A few things every beginner should hear.
1. Learn the basic rules and ettiquete
and probably most importantly
2. Play quickly. You will eventually play with someone you don't know and who is probably better than you and you need to keep it moving. I don't care how bad you are if you keep it moving. Don't stand over the ball for a long time on each shot, you probably aren't going to hit it where you want anyway so just get on with it. We were all there at one point so if the person you are playing with doesn't take kindly to you not playing well, then tell them to, well I better not. But Slow play (taking a lot of time per shot, not hitting a lot of shots) is is really frustrating for the other people in the group (ask Rory Sabatini for those that watch golf).

Golf on TV is much better once you know what is going on and the players involved. Although I am not a big fan of the tv coverage now any way, b/c I am tired of seeing every shot Tiger hits (good, bad, or average) at the expense of seeing what everyone else in the field is doing.

Good luck and welcome to club!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2007 10:36 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam
I like to play and watch sports. But I cant stand golf.
Maybe because golf is a game, not a sport?

Mark DeLettera
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Mark DeLettera   Email Mark DeLettera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since retiring from Kodak in April '04, I say I get out to the Links just a tad..... about 1-3 times a week, 52 weeks a year! [Big Grin]
Got 95 rounds in last year. It's been great living where I have 7 regulation golf courses within a 6 mile radius. [beer]

Post-Kodak life has been very GOOD! [Cool]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-12-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Mark... excellent!

It's cool there are a few golfers here, I don't believe the subject has come up much on the forum. Thanks for all the tips.

Scott and Tim... you have good eyes. My grip is completely wrong, and my brothers tried all afternoon to get me to correct it, but it just felt right this way - and I couldn't hit anything the other way. I will fix it now, though, and learn the right way as I was just getting acquainted with everything that day.

Mike... you can still start, guy. [Smile] I'm really loving it.

Bill, I'll definitely look to the thrift shops for bargains, thanks!

Monte, I hear that most of the pros started by playing golf as children, so for your daughter to really take off with it is not surprising. That's the way of the world, I suppose. [Wink]

Phil... you silly. [Razz] Don't count yourself out, though, you might actually like it once you get out there and start playing. [Smile] I never thought I would, either - and my family had been trying to get me to go with them for 2 or 3 years.

Joe, what golf videogames do you like? I've been looking at some of those, too. I found a fun Flash golf game online.

Shane... [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: