Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cinema Houston (New book published)

Author Topic: Cinema Houston (New book published)
Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2007 07:35 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A brand new book, Cinema Houston; from nickelodeon to megaplex,
has just been published. Although it doesn't cover any booth
operations through it's 332 pages and 19 chapters it covers just about every aspect of exhibition. There are hundreds of
photographs!
Cinema Houston can be had through Amazon.
GOOD reading! [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2007 02:30 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Amazon, when you look into "customers also bought..." one finds even MORE books about cinemas in other cities.
Dang...
They almost all look collectable...

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 12-15-2007 01:19 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a lame question, but how much of the book focusses on modern times? Usually those books are divided 70% - "The Golden Age" - 25% 1965-1975 and then 1 page on Multiplexes and then the rest is index.

I'm sure a book about multiplexes would be a snooze for many people, but I for one would love it!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-15-2007 04:36 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll pick this one up. I serviced a lot of those theatres: The Windsor, River Oaks, the McLendon drive-ins... great memories. [thumbsup]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2007 03:30 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
If anyone wants to write and publish a book on Multi-plex Theatres, I am sure you and Adam will have to be involved.
(even if only to get permission to print some of the photos found on Cinematour.)
Shoot...you two can write one yourselves. Lord knows you've been through plenty of them.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 12-20-2007 06:01 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wouldn't know where to start. And with my attention span, it'd likely be a picture book with captions that say "Yep, it was 1978 alright..."

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 07:12 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wandered all over my house pondering how one could start said book...
The history of the technologies that made multiplex theatres possible could be a good start (safety film, xenon bulbs, solid-state amplifiers, automation, computerized ticketing...)
But, yes...I'm stuck after that.
A chapter on how a multiplex DIES would be a blast. (wall coverings and carpet starts to show wear, roof starts to leak more, Coca-cola seeps into the auditorium floor's cracks and makes the complex smell like feet...)
There definitely will be nostalgia for the multiplex, as the current generation has only experienced multiplex theatres, rarely seeing a movie in a single screen theatre or a drive-in. "That theatre used to have sloped floors in it's auditoriums, I kid you not!"
"They used to run actual FILM there!"
"The sound only came from the front, behind the center of the screen!"
Some of the mistakes of the industry could be brought up, like...
"Some complexes were built with as many as 30 screens, but the industry realized that 14 to 16 screens was the ideal number."

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Chris Slycord may wish to take a peek at the book and see what details there are concerning the Loews Town & Country, for which a question about its years of operation was raised in the recent "CE3K" thread.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 12-22-2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But then I'd have to get facts, and cite sources. We all know the extent of my fact finding is "1970's GCC CINEMA I-II-III rule!!! -- Scott Neff."

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 06:34 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of it & loaned it to my tech that has been in the industry his entre life. Brought back a lot of good memories for him..... BTW, Frank can I get my book back?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: