Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Non-Multiplex Multiplex

Author Topic: Non-Multiplex Multiplex
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 01:55 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just came back from a trip in the Philippines. While in Davao at the big shopping center, I took in a movie at the 5-plex. First, it is during the week, mid afternoon and slow. The ticket booth has 3 cashiers. I go to buy a ticket but have to go to the correct cashier for the movie I want to see, each cashier only sells for certain movies. Then with ticket in hand, I walk down the mall and there are 5 separate theater entrances, each entrance has a ticket taker. While watching the show I notice a flicker in the picture and I think "that looks like a carbon flicker". Sure enough, cue marks scratched on the film and a changeover. So we have a 5-plex run like 5 single screen theaters and running changeovers. The one I was in was big and I assume they are all the same size since the entrances all appeared the same.
My first thought was what a huge overhead with all those employees but then I don't think they make much money. And would you call this a multiplex or 5 single screen theaters with a remote box office.

|  IP: Logged

Robert W. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 03:00 PM      Profile for Robert W. Jones   Email Robert W. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ed,

You paid twice the amount the cashiers and a projectionist make in Davao per hour.

My first experience there was watching two TV episodes of "the Six Million Dollar Man" cut together as a feature. Cost 20 cents US. Changeovers and carbon arcs. This was in 1979 in San Fernando, Pampanga, Luzon just north of Manila.

Out of curiosity, were there vendors walking the auditorium selling pork rinds and peanuts?
Rob

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-20-2007 07:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The monetary denomination in the Philippines is the Peso-which right now sits at one Peso (PHD) equals 0.024 to the US dollar.

Thus the average Filipino over there makes between $100.00 to $200.00 monthly income (my friend is over there with his filipino wife starting an online business..and tells me of the situations in that country) and they tought the Americas as "filty rich" and prime targets for the local gang members over there.

Thus, going back to that comment on the huge overhead since the pay is so horribly low, it's quite affordable...just don't rent anything over there. You purchase and sell back.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2007 06:10 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert W. Jones
Out of curiosity, were there vendors walking the auditorium selling pork rinds and peanuts?
Rob

No vendors in the auditorium. There was a large concession stand in the mall hallway by the theaters.

As for Americans being a prime target for gangs, that would explain why I was told to stay off the streets at night.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: