Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Goofy" short on Nat'l Treasure 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Goofy" short on Nat'l Treasure 2
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-19-2007 10:25 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about the Goofy cartoon attached to NT2. It's called "How to Set Up a Home Theatre." I assume it's going to be a typical Goofy where everything goes wrong, but I'm wondering if it's going to "dis" the theatre industry in any way. I wouldn't think Disney would be that dumb, but I'll be previewing it, that's for sure!

Anyone heard anything?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-19-2007 10:36 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it. It was in the "2007 Animation Show of Shows" (the compilation that Ron Diamond distributes). It's funny. Goofy buys a TV set to watch football and then has trouble setting it up. Nothing more or less than that. Nothing about the motion-picture exhibition industry at all.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is supposed to be a tribute to the old HOW TO DO IT Goofy cartoons. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I wasn't going to see NATIONAL TREASURE, but there is a new Marcus Ultrascreen opening in the area and I want to check it out.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-22-2007 12:25 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"DOPEY Digital" [Smile]
Too bad it's not the scope a/r though [Frown]
horizontal black bars...

--jhawk

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-22-2007 01:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it! Very funny. Makes fun of virtually everything to do with buying electronics. Most electronic nuts will find something to relate to here.

I liked the small Disney artifacts that are scattered through the film. Like when Goofy's TV is delivered, the "item number" on the box is "M1CK3Y M0U53" or something like that...and when he's clearing the shelf for his new gear, he has an old photo of Walt Disney in a frame. Funny stuff.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-22-2007 07:04 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Walt thing made me sad. "Walt Disney is getting cleared out in favor of new modern technology. His time and values are over."

I guess they probably didn't mean it that way...

--jhawk

Mike Sellars
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2007 03:38 PM      Profile for Mike Sellars   Email Mike Sellars   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, jhawk... Goofy swept Walt's photo right off of the shelf onto the floor to put a component in its place... Wow - seems like a big Disney no-no to me!
[Eek!]
Mike

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2007 04:25 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't that a sketch of John Lassiter on the shelf next to Disney?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2007 12:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering that too.

Did anyone notice "Dopey Digital" on one of the equipment boxes?

This isn't a cartoon, it's an editorial! [Cool]

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every audience I saw laughed the whole time. Although I had one customer complaining that there were cartoons and not NT2. Obviously he didn't understand that NT2 was a Disney movie and it was a Disney cartoon. I guess they are too young to remember the days when cartoons would play before a movie.

John Lassiter was one of the names during the credits after the short.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2007 07:33 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found it surprisingly funny. Let's not over-react to "sweeping Disney off the shelf". The joke wasn't that the Disney picture frame was swept off, it was that it was there in the first place. But the "Dopey Digital" cracked me up most of all. There are also some funny bits about channel configurations and different levels of surround speakers: I think it wound up being an 11.1 or 13.1 configuration with speakers and wires everywhere.

There were a bunch of other jokes in it that only people who know the technology would completely understand, but the writers obviously had a great time getting those jokes in there. I liked it because it did not talk down to the audience (and I was never a fan of Disney short cartoons.)

It didn't bother me that this wasn't anamorphic - it bothered me more that it was 1.85 - it should have been 1.33 to give it the feel of an old cartoon (IMO). Of course then idiot patrons would have probably complained that it wasn't filling the screen.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one thing that I like about these Disney releases: bringing back the "cartoon before the feature" concept of the olden days, and this Goofy cartoon was no different.

This brings in the excitment of being truly entertained with laughter during the appetizer and getting the audience settled down for the main course when the feature begins.

(Now, if we can only get FOX and others to bring out the "Movietone" News Reels, then we've got some entertainment value there...)

On the concept of the 1.85:1 - and an idea to really make it look classic: is for Disney to "matt in" colorful curtains on each side of the picture, so that these curtains will close at the end of the short and reopen to full to be ready for the feature.. This will definitely keep the idiot audience saying that the screen isn't used all the way..

-Monte

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-27-2007 12:46 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ross Oba
Every audience I saw laughed the whole time. Although I had one customer complaining that there were cartoons and not NT2. Obviously he didn't understand that NT2 was a Disney movie and it was a Disney cartoon. I guess they are too young to remember the days when cartoons would play before a movie.
Had the same thing today when I helped out at my old theater. Some guy was complaining that we weren't playing the right movie.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
On the concept of the 1.85:1 - and an idea to really make it look classic: is for Disney to "matt in" colorful curtains on each side of the picture, so that these curtains will close at the end of the short and reopen to full to be ready for the feature.. This will definitely keep the idiot audience saying that the screen isn't used all the way..
Wholeheartedly concur. I was so annoyed that I wasted my time running to look at an auditorium of "Enchanted" since someone said the masking was wrong only to see it was the "cartoon" part of the movie (and even if that auditorium had side maskings, Disney requested them to not be used during the movie).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-27-2007 02:38 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer

On the concept of the 1.85:1 - and an idea to really make it look classic: is for Disney to "matt in" colorful curtains on each side of the picture, so that these curtains will close at the end of the short and reopen to full to be ready for the feature.. This will definitely keep the idiot audience saying that the screen isn't used all the way.

Interesting idea, except if you actually do have curtains, in which case this would prevent one from using them properly.

Agreed that the Goofy short should have been Academy, not 1.85 (actually, the original prints are protected for 1.77 or maybe 1.66, but obviously this is lost in the scope conversion).

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-27-2007 07:05 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you guys are pushing the nostalgia factor a bit much. I don't think many (any?) people in the regular audience are going to appreciate a throwback to Academy aspect ratios.

Anyhow, it just seems to me that if you have a scope feature, you should have a scope short. Lifted was scope, wasn't it?

(Of course, clearly audiences don't seem to care about leterboxed/windowboxed trailers, so I guess the point is moot. Though I saw a new failure recently, where a local theatre started the movie, set the masking to the first trailer, and left; unfortunately it was a flat movie and that was a letterboxed scope trailer, so most things thereafter projected 18 inches above and below the screen onto the masking...)

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: