Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I'm now connected while on the move.

Author Topic: I'm now connected while on the move.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since last Wednesday I've had mobile Internet access, and Chiltern Railways kindly provide 240V outlets next to some seats, so I'm sending this from near Banbury, just under half way on a journey from Birmingham to London.

Connection is 3G or GPRS via a USB device, and service is provided by T-mobile.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2007 05:02 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either GNER or Virgin, I can't remember which, have this. 240v outlets AND WiFi on board!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2007 05:27 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Southern have Wi-Fi on a handful of trains between london and Brighton, and either the Oxford Tube or Oxford Espress (I think I've spelled the silly name right) coaches also have it, but nothing that I usually travel on does, so I have to use my own mobile connection. I left it on, but not connected most of the journey today, and was a signal most of the way, and 3G service for probably two thirds of it. It probably helps that the M40 is quite close by. There's a big difference between GPRS and 3G.

GNER is no more; National Express have the East coast franchise now.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2007 06:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
240 volts! Dang... don't get your fingers across those prongs!

Mark

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2007 09:09 PM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
240V is the standard here also.
415 across phases...
it saves a lot in copper...and encourages you not to use the 'wet finger' technique.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-24-2007 09:20 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The high voltage is great....now if you guys had 60 Hz, we'd have the perfect power. (60 hz requires less iron in motors & other inductive devices.) 400 hz is even better, like aircraft. Maybe we could just spin up the dynamos. Louis

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-24-2007 10:11 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USB thing that I'm using is this one: web page and it seems to work well. It's not as neat as an internal device, but if your laptop doesn't have a PC Card slot then it's about the only option. It's made by Huawei, and seems to be available from all the main networks.

To use it on Mac OS-X you have to install drivers and configure settings in he normal way, but with Windows all you have to do is plug it in; it contains some flash memory, formatted to look like a CD-ROM. When you first connect it the software is installed from this, and all you have to do is click 'Connect'. I've only used it with XP, but it's supposed to work with 2000 and Vista as well.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-24-2007 11:03 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the wifi on a thankfully no more Grim Never-Ending Ripoff train (£190 return from York to London - bargain!!!), but it was so slow as to be pretty much unusable for web browsing. And as their connection blocks outgoing traffic to your SMTP server, you can't even send emails either. And needless to say, as soon as you went into a tunnel, that was that.

On the day of our work Christmas party I took a train from York to Leeds earlier this month (to be able to have a drink and not have to drive home) - the first time I'd used one for several weeks. This was shortly after GNER's demise, and their logo had been painted out on all the carriages and replaced with a National Express one. But they were clearly the same trains and carriages. Funny - I thought that if a new company was taking over the line, they'd bring their trains with them rather than buy the old ones from the previous operator. From example, when BMI took over the Teesside-Heathrow route from Shitish Airways (oops, Freudian slip!), they replaced BA's 737s with their own Embraers (not to mention cutting the fares by about half, which I wait with bated breath to see if National Express will do on the York-London train fares). It seems that the same principle doesn't apply in the railway industry - possibly because the vehicles are designed to the requirements of specific lines and can't be used elsewhere?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-24-2007 12:43 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't comment on the Wi-fi service on trains because I've never used it; it's not available on the few routes that I use, such as the Chiltern one to Birmingham, which I use about once per month. I was going there yesterday to buy some more things from the five week long German Christmas Market, which closed yesterday.

The 3G connection that I could get for much of the journey is supposed to be 1.8Mb/s, and it seems comparable to the home connection was when I had 1Mb. I've now got 3 point something at home. Where 3G isn't available and the mobile device falls back to GPRS it connects at fifty something kb/s, and feels pretty similar to a dial-up connection. I get 3GB limit for £20 per month, with VOIP services, such as Skype, banned. There's an option which allows those, and has a 10GB per month limit, at a higher cost.

It's no good for transferring huge files, or streaming high-def video, but it's very usable for reading e-mail, browsing web pages, sending up to work documents that I've typed on the journey, etc. I've also used it to deal with e-mails on the bus, before arriving at work.

Obviously, the coverage will vary, depending on the location; tunnels aren't too much of a problem on the route where I was yesterday; If you were doing something like Leeds - Bradford - Manchester it would be a different matter.

I won't be needing the mobile connection for a while; I'm staying in over Christmas and New Year in the hope that my health will improve somewhat before I return to work, so I've lent the device to somebody else, so he can use it while staying with his Mother in Portsmouth; she has no broadband access. I'll find out from him what the access is like down there.

With a very few exceptions, trains are not owned by train operating companies, and will not normally change when the franchise moves to a new operator, though an operator may make a commitment to introduce new trains at some future time during the franchise, as part of their bid. The rolling stock leasing companies are all now owned by banks, but I can't remember who owns which. GNER charged very high fares, and couldn't afford the premium payments required by heir franchise. NEEC have bid to pay a higher amount, in a shorter time period; quite how they will be able to afford this is unclear. They have said that they intend to raise fares. Give that I have refused to use GNER for the last three years or so, mainly because their fares were so high, it's unlikely that I will experience NEEC. Southern, Chiltern, South-West Trains and whatever Thameslink is called these days are about the only trains that I still use, and only use these infrequently.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2007 02:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be a little bit too connected... Wife gave me an iPhone for xmas. Made this post from it...

Mark

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
This was shortly after GNER's demise, and their logo had been painted out on all the carriages and replaced with a National Express one. But they were clearly the same trains and carriages. Funny - I thought that if a new company was taking over the line, they'd bring their trains with them rather than buy the old ones from the previous operator
Unfortunately due to the rail franchise system in the UK, all expenditure on new trains has to be approved by the regulator, which tends to be refused. Most of the rolling stock is leased from leasing companies (who bought it at bargain prices from the former British Railways) and the leasing regulator 'guarantees the leases (by forcing the equipment onto the next franchisee.

National Express do have plans to provide extra trains (loco hauled MK3 trains formally used by Virgin) but the franchise specification, provided by the regulator, did not allow the purchase/lease new trains.

quote: Stephen Furley
NEEC have bid to pay a higher amount, in a shorter time period
They bid less than GNER offered to pay, and have a parent company that is not bankrupt.
-----

Back to the topic National Express East Coast now offer free WIFI to all customers (GNER used to offer it to First Class only. There are 240V sockets at most seats (If I bring a travel kettle will I be able to make a cup of tea and avoid the onboard ripoff prices).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-29-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Hajducki
(If I bring a travel kettle will I be able to make a cup of tea and avoid the onboard ripoff prices).

What? No bar car like on the Titfield Thunderboldt... "Oh my heavens"...

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-29-2007 04:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark H: Thanks for the explanation. Didn't know that the trains effectively come with the franchise.

From what I understand of GNER, their basic problem was that their bid for the franchise renewal was unrealistically high. In order to pay the government the price they offered, fares AND passenger numbers had to rise, while service standards remained the same. The effect of this which hit me the most was that the sanely priced fares I did use occasionally (e.g. the £60 first class return from York to London) effectively disappeared - you needed to book at least 6-8 weeks in advance to get a snowball's chance in a microwave of finding one (compared to 1-2 weeks in advance previously), and even then you had to make one of the legs on, for example, the 0500 from King's Cross on a Saturday morning. In contrast, the £60 flight from Teesside to Heathrow is still usually available, on reasonably convenient flights, 1-2 weeks ahead. Despite the faff of getting to and from airports, it's still cheaper and more reliable. But living a 10-minute walk from York station it's a pain. If National Express do reintroduce some competitive fares I may be lured back, though.

Mark G: If the alcohol-induced railway investor in The Titfield Thunderbolt had been made to pay GNER prices for his tipple (almost £5 for a G & T the last time I succumbed to temptation), he'd either have emigrated or converted to Methodism, I guess!

Interesting about the Ealing analogy: on another list I read someone posted a story about the Egyptian government trying to copyright images of the pyramids. I replied that if they get away with that, then the protagonists in The Lavender Hill Mob would not only have had to worry about being done for the theft of the gold, but also for copyright infringement in the way they disguised it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: