Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP Oscar Peterson, and a weird coincidence

Author Topic: RIP Oscar Peterson, and a weird coincidence
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-24-2007 04:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During a four-hour drive today, I had an Oscar Peterson album (Very Tall) playing; about half-way through it I wondered whether or not he was still alive. I concluded that he must be, because I've admired his music since I was a teenager and was sure I'd have noticed if he'd died between then and now. Checking the BBC site just now I saw this page.

Just one of those strange coincidences, I guess. Spooky, nonetheless. Very sorry to hear of his passing: Night Train and Oscar Peterson Plays the Gershwin Songbook are two of my favourites.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-24-2007 11:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Leo, that is odd indeed. (I like Night Train, too.)

I think there's something to events like that. About a month ago, I was driving home from work and the thought suddenly entered my head that time was imminent to hear of someone close dying. It wasn't one of those random thoughts that often enter our heads and then are gone... this really grabbed me. Next morning came the news that my brother's wife had died the previous day.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-25-2007 01:23 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar Peterson!?

Didn't he build the "Six Million Dollar Man?"

Oh, wait. That's Oscar Goldman. Jewish scientist with mid-American WASP-y looks. I'm sorry. I'll go back to sleep now.
[Confused]

Seriously, it's a sad loss. My condolences.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-25-2007 12:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Night Train is one of my very favorite albums! That is a strange occurance Leo...
RIP Oscar... You were one of the defining greats.

Mark

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-25-2007 01:40 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely the master. Blazing articulation on even the hottest technical passages, but his music and his playing was much more than just technical prowess. Got to see him along with Diana Krall live at the Hollywood Bowl in 2001. Even though he wasn't at his best by then (he'd lost a lot of the use of his left hand to a stroke some years earlier) he still wowed his fans that night. Another vote here for Night Train which is playing as I enter this.

RIP Oscar.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: