Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Lets see more cinema pictures!! -> OT Computer data backup jabber (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Lets see more cinema pictures!! -> OT Computer data backup jabber
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2008 08:54 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't seem like there has been much change in the archive of cinema pictures on this site. I'd love to see more, specially the older single screen movie houses. I uploaded our cinema pics for the Mayfair Theater in Ottawa a year ago...but no one posted them.

[ 01-03-2008, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I had the most magnificent computer crash and everything sent to the "pictures" account not posted yet is gone. Please resend them to my email address listed on the "contact us" page. (If you originally sent it to my direct email address, then I still have it.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2008 03:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can assume thats where the "Digital Cimema Forum" also disappeared too as well.... [Confused] . I mean really... in this day and age if you're not running at least a raid 1 on that sort of thing it can get to be pretty hopeless with hard drive crashes occuring on important stuff....

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2008 05:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah well today I upgraded to a 5 disc raid 1 setup, so that should be a thing of the past. In the meantime, the data may or may not be lost. I am working on recovering it. Still, it doesn't hurt to resubmit, although I won't have any time to update anything until Feb or March.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I detest storage on CD ROMs so I just set up a Dell 1550 server (single rack space small server) with a raid 5 on it to store my digital photo files. If I loose a drive I just re-build the array and it keeps on chugging along like the Eveready Bunny without any data loss. I think it will fill up pretty fast though as it only has 320mb SCSI's on board. It was more of an experiment but the server works nice just running Windows XP... and the 1550's are pretty reliable... and literally dirt cheap, I paid 50 bucks for mine with 3-18 gig drives anbd bought the 320's off of E-Bay! If I fill it up I'll end up getting a larger used Dell and just move these drives over to it and add some more. The single rack unit servers only hold 3 drives.... I could also add a power vault storage frame to the 1550 with up to 12 drive dual channel RAID capability for a few hundred bucks.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-01-2008 08:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that Brad and Mark are still doing regular backups to removable media. RAID does not equal backup. RAID can offer redundancy in case of hardware failure, but will not protect against a power surge, fire, or accidental deletion.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2008 08:18 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent some pictures of my theatre sometime last year via snail mail. Maybe they got lost in transit. It's primarily booth pictures.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2008 09:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a stack of "snail mail" sitting here that I haven't had time to scan, so it's probably in that stack.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2008 11:25 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand, Brad. [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-01-2008 11:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping to be able to get some good pictures of Warren Theatres' Moore 20 complex a little over an hour's drive away from me. I'd love to get a booth tour, but I haven't been able to get much feedback at all from their staff at this point. I'm hopeful they'll let me or another F-T participant tour the place and take photos (and promote the place via a very formidable movie theater enthusiast web site). Even better yet, the Moore 20 might be a good place to hold some sort of F-T get-together of members in the central part of the country.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2008 01:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We already have pictures of the Warren theaters, but we are waiting on approval to post them. They are absolutely beautiful theaters.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-02-2008 08:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I hope that Brad and Mark are still doing regular backups to removable media.
I'm not at that point yet with this system... I don't even know what they use for backing up lots of large files these days. I do store stuff elsewhere at least what I would consider really important stuff... Its actually stored on another system off site and I do pay for that storage but the space is more limited.

Mark

Christopher Howland
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 03:54 PM      Profile for Christopher Howland   Email Christopher Howland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the large companies that need to store large amounts of data are still using "tape" drives. Each tape can store up to 90 gig of data, and they are not that expensive. They are not like cds though. They are purely for backup purposes in the case of an extreme failure. Since its a tape, you cant pick out files to restore, you gotta restore the entire thing. Its almost like a ghost image of whatever you backed up. However, they can be deleted and reused again, and they hold up for a much longer time period than VCR tapes.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-02-2008 04:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True and NOT true. We still use a streaming tape back up for our stuff...there is a whole, back up set up for the workstations as well as the server (all done from the server though).

Anyway...once, I deleated a file accidentally while writing a proposal. I was able to run the back up program and it found the file on the tape and put it in a recovered file folder...just the file I was looking for.

I want to say I was running a dos app. and was in a dos mode so the usual delete safe guards (recycle bin, empty recycle bin...etc) were not there so a mere delete was enough to kill the file.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-02-2008 09:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what an IT friend of mine said today is that tape backup is still by far and away the more popular method for backing up but that it is not the most stable method. The tapes are exposed to too many outside influences and age also kills them pretty quickly. As long as you do backups regularly though its certainly an ok way.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: