Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Best family movie for a private outdoor screening... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best family movie for a private outdoor screening...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 04:15 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need your suggestions please...

We're running an outdoor show (it's summer here) this Saturday night and the 'committee' is having trouble deciding what to run. If Ratatouille was out it'd be a no-brainer, but it only is released January 12th so it's not an option unfortunately.

Suggestions can go back as far back as you like (but not The Wizard Of Oz)

Scope films would be preferred but not essential.

Merci!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the "singalong" version of "The Sound of Music?" Or better yet, the non-singalong version.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 02:13 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Goonies. Absolutely wonderful for grown ups and kids.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 02:32 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Or better yet, the non-singalong version.
You've heard me sing then... [Eek!]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The polar express?

Robert W. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 04:55 PM      Profile for Robert W. Jones   Email Robert W. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Skippy The Outback Kangaroo" TV episodes (loved the Roo).

Seriously, "The Incredibles" is great fun for kids and the adults.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 05:35 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Princess Bride! We ran this in a Children's summer series a few years ago and had to add morning shows and show it several extra days because people just had to see it. We advertised it was on the next week and had groups (of 30 and more) calling to reserve seats in a free children's series so we added a morning showing and added extra days to the thing!

"Man in Black: You guessed wrong.
Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, and falls dead to the right]
Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.
Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Oh yes it is a great movie!

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 01-02-2008 10:45 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE BORROWERS if you can find it. Under-known and under appreciated, it takes place in London, and is wonderfully written and cast. Everyone will say "How did I miss that one?"

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2008 12:20 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goonies would be awsome! If you can't get that, we ran ET about a month ago and that did well. Alot of people bringing their kids to a movie they saw in the theatre when they were kids. Anything that you can get from the 70's or 80's. I think alot of people my age 28 or near that love to see a movie from their child hood on the big screen again and also bring their kids.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-03-2008 12:41 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
X2 for Princess Bride! [thumbsup]

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2008 01:31 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did some free Saturday morning screenings (once a month) about 2 years ago.

1st was "Goonies" and it packed the auditorium. We actually had to turn some people away. I loved seeing it in a theater, as I had only ever seen it on HBO or DVD at home. It was like seeing it for the very first time, and is one of my all-time favorite movies. I would have loved to add more showings, but it wasn't in the cards at the time.

For Christmas, we did Jim Carrey in "The Grinch". About 80 people showed up.

Then we did "Princess Bride". Great movie, but only about 30 people came out for it.

We ended with "Rudy". About a dozen people. We didn't really want to do "Rudy" as we didn't think it had any drawing power, but the pickings were slim at the time, and we had already committed to the public that another film would be coming next month, so.

Each of these films were promoted the same way and with the same amount of exposure. I don't know if the "new" wore off the idea of a free Saturday morning show, or if people were just genuinely more interested in "The Goonies" than the other films, but that's the way it went down.

None of these were DVD showings, either. They were 35mm prints, which we made sure to tell everyone. Other than some steady hiss from the analog sound on "The Goonies" the prints were in pretty good shape and ran with no problems.

A casual poll of the audience to each one revealed a number of requests, including "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", "Labyrinth", "The Sandlot", and "Dark Crystal". For whatever reasons, we weren't able to get any of these titles in time for our showings.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-03-2008 05:35 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carroll Ballard's THE BLACK STALLION (1979) with Kelly Reno, Mickey Rooney and Teri Garr. Probably still with MGM/UA Classics or it may have gone over to Warners....I can't keep track of who is releasing what anymore. But this is one beautiful, spectacular film. The horse taming sequence is totally cinematic (no dialogue) and is really outstanding. Music score and sound mix on a good system will knock your socks off. Every time I have ever run this, at least one or more patrons take the time to personally thank me for booking it.

There is also THE BEAR, but I can't find it on IMDB....I'll look it up when I get back to the office.

Any of the Disney classic animations like PINOCHIO or CINDERELLA are always are a hit, but try getting Disney to let you play them....well they might -- do you have a first-born that you'd be willing to give them in exchange for a playdate? They make movies for kids, but won't let anyone book them. I think they feel it hurts their DVD sales or something. [evil]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2008 05:45 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
There is also THE BEAR, but I can't find it on IMDB....
Could that be because the title is actually L'OURS?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-03-2008 06:04 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes it is, Michael. It is also 6:30am, so I have an excuse.

But now that I am thinking about it, I would also highly recommend MICROCOSMOS: LE PEUPLE DE L'HERBE. It's GREAT for outdoor venue in the summer....before the movie is over, everyone will be itching.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-03-2008 09:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about cheering and applause at the dung beetle's success? [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: