Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Question about DVD Burning Software (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question about DVD Burning Software
Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a new computer that has a Sony DVD +/-R Dual Layer Burner and I am wondering, what's the best software out there for burning DVD's? I am looking to legally download movies from the internet and burn them on to DVD's, but, I need the software. I have heard that Roxio is great, but, I'd like to get some more opinions before I make a purchase. What I'm looking for is something basic, nothing too fancy like the Professional kind of stuff, just something easy and basic.

Much thanks! [Big Grin]

PS - I am using Windows 2000XP Professional Service Pack 2, and have 160GB Hard Drive, 1GB of Ram and a Pentium DUO Core 3.2GHZ Processor.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 12:15 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use NERO; it has more features than I could ever need.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can you LEGALLY download and burn movies? [Confused]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-02-2008 06:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where can you LEGALLY download and burn movies? [Confused]
Despite what the MPAA tries to imply with its anti-piracy propaganda, there is such a thing as the public domain. Every movie made before 1923 is PD and, yes, some of these are available online. Also, some filmmakers voluntarily make their materials available freely, for example see Elephants Dream.

If the original poster had asked about downloading and burning current major-studio releases, then I agree that the question would be inappropriate, but he didn't and it is not.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2008 06:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anti-piracy propaganda makes my head spin. Did you know that the RIAA considers ripping CDs that you legally own to your own hard drive as "unauthorized copies"? Where will it end?

Anyway Nero is a great burning program (if you install the unbloated version and don't use Nero Express or whatever it is called), but I don't think it can author DVDs (make menus and chapters, etc). Maybe the bloated version kind of can. Making watchable DVDs is nowhere near as simple as making listenable CDs, especially since the "simple" methods tend to re-encode everything, so what you see is rarely what you get when it's all done.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 06:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been using Nero Ultra Edition 7 for about 3 years now with much success. They now have Ultra Edition 8 out, so you can probably find 7 out there at a deep discount and I believe with all the current updates to 7 it can take advantage of dual/duo core processors.

Nero Home Page

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 09:40 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I author instructional DVDs with Adobe Premiere Pro and Encore, and although I could burn them with Encore I far prefer Nero.

Of particular value is one feature NERO has that the (expensive professional-level) Encore does not is that NERO will check each burned copy to make sure there are no errors.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2008 10:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted that "No errors" is compared to the image on disc that it is burning (ie: no burning errors). Nero won't make sure that links among menus and tracks work or that you encoded your video and authored the disc properly, etc etc. You can still wind up with a coaster.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 08:21 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough ... I'm assuming you've tested your creation first. That's one thing I like about Adobe Encore, you can test all you want and get it right before you finalize the .iso

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-05-2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently using Nero 8 (and previously 6). Nero Vision...part of the suite...works fine for importing video files, creating chapters, titles, and basic menus. I've used it to create DVD's of a few old documentaries and instructional films from archive.org.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-05-2008 10:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Wayne Keyser
That's one thing I like about Adobe Encore, you can test all you want and get it right before you finalize the .iso
Yeah, DVD Studio Pro does that, too.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-06-2008 01:24 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you don't have to own a Mac to run Adobe Encore.

However, Adobe Production Studio (in which Encore is bundled) is not exactly cheap.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2008 02:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for Nero, but for god's sake make sure you click the "custom install" option and ONLY install the basic burning program and uncheck all of that other nonsense.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-06-2008 03:01 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I've spent umpteen $$$ on various versions of that confusing, hard-to-use POS Nero hoping that it would FINALLY become intuitive, "user friendly", and easy to use...NAH! It still sux! I HATE it!

BTW Mr. Grand Poopie Administrator, where the hell did you get that lame tie? Ya NEED a different one! HA! [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2008 11:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the closest thing the store had to that lame shirt you are wearing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: