Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Making of a triode valve (vacuum tube). (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Making of a triode valve (vacuum tube).
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-06-2008 03:09 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found a link to this video on alt.engineering.electrical. It shows the making of a triode valve by hand, and may be of interest to some of you here.

web page

|  IP: Logged

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2008 04:25 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that entertaining and instructive video. There's no limit, it seems, to what a true craftsman can do!

My father had told me that radio vacuum tubes used to be sent back to the factory for remanufacturing when they failed from use, and this was confirmed when I found printed enclosures that were once packed with new tubes (RCA, I think.) I couldn't understand how this could be possible until I saw this video.

I have great respect for those with the multiple skills (and equipment) needed for such tasks. In contrast, I tried to make a folded paper (origami) crane offerering. I couldn't find anyone who could show me how, so I went to google.com and then ask.com and printed four different instruction charts, one requiring 25 folds, but neither my wife, our receptionist nor I could succeed in making one. Happily my daughter visited and made one for me, which I will offer at the next opportunity.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2008 04:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Robert W. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Robert W. Jones   Email Robert W. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great video. And they still rock for audio applications!

Rob

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-06-2008 04:35 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite interesting. I bet he can make his own xenon bulb... - Monte

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2008 04:48 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere around here I have some old radio magazines from the 1920's and I recall seeing advertisements in the back for places that would "re-build" vacuum tubes. I had an uncle who collected antique Christmas tree lights that were in different figurene shapes. Santas, Snowmen, Trees, etc. I remember when I was a kid he used to take them to some old guy in Brooklyn NY when they burned out who would re-build the lights and somehow put new filaments inside to make them work again. (This was almost 40 years ago) Similar but not as exacting work as rebuilding a vacuum tube.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-06-2008 06:08 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! Thanks, Stephen!

Btw, who was it I heard of, not too many years ago, who got all the old RCA 6L6 manufacturing equipment?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2008 06:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Western Electric is still producing brand new tubes of many of their older designs... They saw an eventual need to be able to supply vaccum toobes down the road and they kept the entire factory in mothballs for well over two decades. Undersea transmission lines from what I understand are still all vaccum toobe amplified. They have also bought the right to produce the venerable Gold Lion KT-88 power Pentode... they are a mere $350.00 a pop!

http://www.westernelectric.com/#

One thing is for sure... they have definately got some of the coolest logos in existance!

Mark

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found on You Tube a 1950's Telefunken tube ad. click here

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-06-2008 08:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a neat Telefunken ad .. and noticing the opera singer singing into a "Neumann bottle" mic (which prob had the Telefunken trademark on it..). -Monte

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-06-2008 10:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
They [Westrex] have also bought the right to produce the venerable Gold Lion KT-88 power Pentode
Apparently, this is not the case anymore (that site was last updated in 2005). Apparently New Sensor (the Sovtek/EH people) has those rights now, along with the design and trademark rights for Tung-Sol and Mullard. You can buy the Russian-made Gold Lion KT88 right now. (and for less than Westrex was charging for them) ... [Roll Eyes]

...and the KT88 is a beam tetrode, not a power pentode. [Smile]

-Aaron

Robert W. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2008 10:52 PM      Profile for Robert W. Jones   Email Robert W. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 6L6's are indeed still in demand. My Son's band uses them in their amplifiers. Can't beat older technology in some cases.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2008 06:27 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of the more popular tube types are being manufactured in China under various old-time brand names. Beware of poor quality. I had a "Penta" China manufactured 3-500Z that failed at around 500 hours of filament time. In my very conservatively operated RF linear amp, the tube runs at less than 5% duty cycle (5% key down time). Welds holding plate structure in place failed on one side allowing plate to tilt and touch the grid [Mad] POOF! A USA Eimac tube will run thousands and thousands of hours in this application.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-07-2008 08:12 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just had another look at the video, and there's something a bit odd about the triode he's making; it doesn't seem to have a getter.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-07-2008 10:56 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My father had told me that radio vacuum tubes used to be sent back to the factory for remanufacturing when they failed from use,
High power broadcast transmitting tubes still are. There are two or three companies in the US that do this. The cost is about half what a new tube would run, and carries the same warranty as new.

I keep a couple of old AM transmitter going this way. The final tubes in one of them are no longer made, but you can rebuild 'em pretty much forever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: