Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Golden Globes ceremony canceled

Author Topic: Golden Globes ceremony canceled
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-07-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association said Monday that Sunday's Golden Globe Awards ceremony has been canceled. Because of the Writer's Guild strike, many of the stars would not cross the planning picket line. Winners will be announced during an hour-long news conference at the Beverly Hilton Sunday beginning at 6pm. The original show was scheduled for 3 Hours on NBC.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-07-2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray WGA strike!

I wonder if the Oscars telecast is next.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-07-2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they would cancel the Oscars. It'd be fun to see if the stars get the same 'thrill' out of winning the award if they don't get to do it on international TV.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-08-2008 12:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do shows such as the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards need writers? For Billy Crystal's intro? Please. We can do without that nonsense. Just start the show, say hello, hand out the awards and be done with it. I guarantee you it would be the best award show ever, and everyone would be happy that it didn't last the typical 90 hours. Surely the winners don't need WGA-prepared winning speeches.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-08-2008 12:54 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing that the first Oscar's event was about 5 minutes long. Apparently they just announced categories then winner though obviously they had less categories back then.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 01:41 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How self-fulfilling are awards shows anyway? For those that haven't seen it, Seinfeld's take on award shows. It is the finest take on these ridiculous ceremonies I have ever seen.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 11:14 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could care less about those award ceremonies in the first place. So, hearing about the cancellation is no surprise to me. I just find those shows to be too boring to watch and waaaaaaaaay to long! I agree with Joe Redifer. If the shows were shortened, then, maybe, I'd consider watching those award ceremonies.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 11:22 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Why do shows such as the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards need writers?
Its not only that there are writers for the show, but also the SAG will not cross the SWG picket line.

Really what does it matter anyways? Anymore these days all these shows do is exhibit whoever spent the most money marketing their product to the judges/comittees etc., not what is really the best of those categories.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-08-2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad M Calpito
I could care less
I know I'm nitpicking but I get tired of people not thinking and using this phrase.

If you could care less it means you care. The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-08-2008 02:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least his spelling didn't go "a rye." (Borrowing a goodie from another thread there)

Agreed they could easily do these shows without the writers, but without the SAG stars showing up to grace the screen and pull in the ratings, advertising on the show would be worthless since the audience would be minimal. As always, follow the money.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-08-2008 05:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the writers picket a show that's not using writers? Also, don't writers get AWARDS at those ceremonies? I know they want those awards. Perhaps the writers are retarded?

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 07:04 PM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Mike [Big Grin]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-08-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll still get the awards, Joe. There just won't be a televised show.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
I know I'm nitpicking but I get tired of people not thinking and using this phrase.
I don't think you are nitpicking. It's about time someone pointed it out.

If a Top Ten list of commonly goofed-up expressions was put together, I bet "I could care less" would land in first place!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: