Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Does anyone here have a Siberian Husky?

Author Topic: Does anyone here have a Siberian Husky?
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2008 09:22 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never owned a dog before but these have always been my favourite.

If anyone here has experience with one (or several), could you tell me a bit about what life is like with one?

Does anyone have anything negative to say about them as a pet, or do you just love yours to bits?

|  IP: Logged

Dwayne Benallie
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2008 10:21 AM      Profile for Dwayne Benallie   Author's Homepage   Email Dwayne Benallie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Siberian Husky and I have to say it's the most loyal dog I ever had. It's the first dog and responsibility in my life, I was only five years old, when my father gave me the dog. Also I grew up around livestock and I seen some smart dogs but nothing like the Siberian Husky. Also very protective of it's owner, well in my case my dog was, I never got it trained or anything but I swear to god it look both ways before crossing the street. I was told that my dog was a hybrid or mix between a Siberian and a wolf, I'm not sure if that was true or not but it's coat had a hint of grey, I named him Smokey. Plus he never could bark like a regular dog but howled and hunted on it's own, brought me a lot of dead rabbits "gifts." I'm not sure if it was a hybrid or not, but my particular dog was really aggressive when it came to me handling other dogs, it was jealous i guess.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I have owned a Husky she was one of the best dogs I have ever had. They are great family dogs but one family member (and only one) will be the acknowledged master by the dog and this something the dog will chose not the owner. She was wonderful. She was very gentile and in awe of my daughter (who was a baby at the time). She never approached the baby but sat and watched her and would quickly let us know if she thought something wasn't right.

I know own a native American Yeller dog AKA Carolina Dog, or American Dingo. They look like the Australian Dingo and in fact they have identical DNA to them. They look a bit like a German Sheppard with short hair that is yellow. They are much like the husky in both temperament and nature.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-11-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
one family member (and only one) will be the acknowledged master by the dog
Aren't all dogs like this? In the pack, one leads and the rest follow.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2008 03:10 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My niece owns a husky mix, and it's still a puppy. The little critter is quite hyperactive. I am not used to that because I adopted by current dog, a blue heeler mix, as an adult and now she's 13 or 14...I swear I think the puppy can fly.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-12-2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure you have lots of room. They LOVE to run.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle had one, and had to get rid of it on account of it being too aggressive, I think it killed some sheep.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-12-2008 06:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be ready for hair all over the place! Daily groomings are a must... during shedding season twice daily grooming is always needed just to keep all the shedding under control. My favorite dogs are still Austrailian Shepard and Chocolate Lab which we have at present. The lab shedding isn't as bad as a longer hair dog like a Husky. Our Chocolate Lab gets depressed when I travel without him...

-

Mark

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark pretty much all dogs shed and of course in the spring as they lose the winter coat is far worse than any other time of the year.

Speaking of not being happy when you leave my Yeller Dog lays at the front door and does a yeppy howly kind of cry when I leave for work but when come home she is facing the door as I enter her tail going in circles (it is a bit of strange kind tail wag that the breed has) she will be down on her front paws like the dinosaur from Night at the Museum !!!!

All in all my three dog house is quite diverse (that isn't counting my wife as one of the dogs) her silky terrier my yorky and our big ole Yeller Dog and the boss of the pack is the little yorky go figure, well he is or use to be a male dog! [Smile]

Oh and I just go the official word Yeller Dog is in heat!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2008 11:06 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Film-Tech, you really can learn about anything! [Smile]

How do you manage shift-work type situations where you just can't attend to your canine for hours on end? Does a friendly neighbor or spouse help out?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-13-2008 07:41 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These guys are great... www.petbutler.com.au

Of course, for the moment you may have to move to the North Shore...(which is never a bad idea [Wink] )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: