Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Booth Floor Covering (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Booth Floor Covering
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-15-2008 04:22 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finishing off my home screening room booth and was wondering what floor covering material I should use. There are pros and cons for both carpet and vinyl tile. I'm leaning toward the tile.

The sub-floor is 2 layers of 3/4" plywood over 2x10 joists spaced on 16" centers.

Your thoughts please...

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-15-2008 04:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concrete, poorly sealed. It was good enough for us at the Chinese 16. We loved it. So did our feet. And ears.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-15-2008 07:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You NEED carpet Phil. If for no other reason than to knock the noise level down since you will be sitting less than 10 feet from the port window.

Carpet is also awesome for people running reel to reel that aren't smart enough to use an automotive V belt instead of Roundthane (Spanish for "breaks during takeup).

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2008 08:16 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phill,

You didn't say what the foundation is. Is it concrete or is it wood?

In a wood floor system, the booth floor should NOT touch or connect to the ported wall. If the floor and wall are connected, projector vibration will be conducted to and radiate from the booth wall. Also, alternate the studs of the ported wall so that the surfaces have separate studs for front wall and inside the booth wall thereby eliminating the transmission of sound between the wall surfaces. (Think broadcast control room to studio)

I have found battleship linoleum is an excellent floor covering material for cleaning and for lack of seams like tile. If you use fireproof carpet on the walls there will be a remarkable amount of sound absorption as the parallel hard surfaces of the walls make a great echo chamber.

KEN [Smile]

OK Tim, so I'm showing my age! [thumbsup]

[ 01-16-2008, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Kenneth Wuepper ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-15-2008 08:19 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The battleship linoleum was SOP for ages.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-15-2008 10:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tile under and around the machinery, then carpet for the rest of the room..

Like this pict -  -

-Monte

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-16-2008 07:59 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C-A-R-P-E-T C-A-R-P-E-T C-A-R-P-E-T C-A-R-P-E-T

WITH C-A-R-P-E-T YOU CAN ALWAY'S TAKE A NAP...... [Smile]

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 10:21 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I am greatly honoured to throw my hat in the ring for an industry veteran such as yourself! I am a newbie in comparison to you, but here goes:

Of all the booths/screening rooms I've worked in, I'd have to cast my vote in the way of carpet. Much kinder to your ears and feet in my experience, plus it looks the part, too! [Smile]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 11:17 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oil, grease, film-guard, beer, and pop corn oil. You know that's how it's going to end up, might as well start it out that way. [Big Grin] [beer] [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-16-2008 02:53 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Monte's idea, I'd forgotten that. It's very functional and a good compromise.

I've always been opposed to carpet under a machine for the reason that it's nearly impossible to keep clean. The inevitable oil drips and accidents that occur quickly muck them up.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 03:12 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would vote for carpet on the walls and concrete floors with the projector/lamp-house and film handling all sitting on the rubber AC floor mounts rubber mats to walk on. That should give you a nice sound absorbing booth and comfort to walk on. Make it the big thick feet saver type of floor mats!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-16-2008 03:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a full carpeted booth...with a catch cardboard sheet used for drippy CineV-8's:

-

Carpet used was that indoor/outdoor short nap variety stuff.

-Monte

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My problem with carpet in the booth in commercial application is the dust that gets attracted and the static. the there is the projectionist running a vacuum? Only the women ones regularly is my experience!!!

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I prefer Concrete in the booth, I do agree that Carpet has it's advantages such as reducing projector noise levels over concrete and other things that were mentioned here. The main booth at my theatre has Carpet while projectors #1 and #10, which are in separate booths, have tile flooring which is a lot noisier than the main booth.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-16-2008 04:22 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
I would vote for carpet on the walls and concrete... floors
Ummm perhaps you didn't read the part that this was a ***HOME*** screening room w/a wood floor and NOT a commercial installation...DUH!

While I like the idea of tile, the carpet thingie seems like the logical way to go.

Hey Brad and Tim, I have a 1970's green shag carpet...do you think that would work OK? [Eek!] [thumbsup] [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: