Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Driving from California to Massachusetts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Driving from California to Massachusetts
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-18-2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be moving from San Diego to Boston soon, probably at the end of the next week. I have already figured out the logistics - by mostly skipping them. I won't take too much stuff as I found it costs more to truck/ship/uhaul most of my furniture over that long distance than to just sell it for a fistful of dollars or give it away to friends (and that's mostly already done) and just get some new stuff on the other side of the continent. I don't have that much furniture anyway. I will just pack up my books, CDs, computer stuff (good thing I always keep the original packaging), clothes etc in boxes and ground ship them with Fedex or UPS or whoever has the best rates for that (tips and recommendations welcome). Then I will stuff my more sensitive belongings (like my bass) into the car and just head NE. My mother will also be coming over to help me and because she wants to take the road trip across the entire US (minus a little corner) with me.

I know you can make the trip in 4 or 5 days (or even less when you just don't sleep) but we will have over a week, maybe 8 or 9 days, depending on when we can cut loose here, so there will be no hurry.

So, what's the best route to take? According to Mapquest, the shortest route is San Diego - Las Vegas - Denver - Omaha - Chicago - Cleveland - Buffalo - Boston.
The main question is of course what are the weather and driving conditions like along that route?

Would it make more sense to head W to NM (e.g. Albuquerque) first, to avoid driving across the Rocky Mountains, then go up to Chicago and head East? Chicago is not a must, but a stop I would like to build into the route as I have good friends there and it is an interesting place for my mother to visit. So we will probably stop over there for 2 or 3 days, then take the final leg in 2 days or so.

Also, what interesting places are there to see along either of these routes? Small detours are OK, but we don't want to add to much mileage to this already very long trip.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-18-2008 07:24 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were to head north to Sacramento, you could catch US-50 east for 3073 miles to Ocean Beach and see America from Main Street instead of the Interstate. Probably not the most time efficient route, though.

Another "Americana" choice would be to grab a Route 66 guidebook and follow the Mother Road from LA to Chicago.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 08:07 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your objective is to avoid snow, then my suggestion would be to take I-10 or I-40 as far east as possible, then start heading north through the Mid-South or Mid-Atlantic states. This route will allow you to avoid bad weather for most or all of the trip except for the final 1/4th or 1/5th stretch.

Since you're starting out in San Diego and if you elect to take I-10, then you may wish to consider beginning your trip on I-8 and head to and through Yuma, AZ, then connect with I-10 in Casa Grande, AZ and continue east.

If your objective, however, is to take the most scenic or most direct route, then ignore my suggestions.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-18-2008 08:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Coate. You probably don't want to be traveling in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado around now. They've had way over 100% average snow fall this year so far. If you like getting into accidents or driving really, really slow then I can't recommend it enough, though.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-18-2008 08:30 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that also apply to major freeways like I-70 in Colorado or only if we take detours?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-18-2008 08:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I-70 gets closed quit a bit around the Eisenhower tunnel this time of year. Chain laws also go into effect depending on the storm and your load. I'd check the forecast beforehand, definitely.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-18-2008 10:00 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree. It would be a BEAUTIFUL drive if it were summer, but at this time of year, take Michael C's advice.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-18-2008 10:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pencil in Louisville....I'll take the both of you to lunch.......wife is 2nd generation German teacher! Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2008 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The safest route is the more southerly one... then head north once you're out east... Biggest problem in winter is getting caught in a bad snow storm... these can literally come out of now where, especially along the I-80 route... The pass between Laramie and Cheyenne is one of the most dangerous stretches of interstate in the in USA! The worst areas are Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming. Wyoming doesn't own any snow plows but they do polish the ice on the Interstates with Zambonis! New York isn't too shabby in the snow storm department either.

Best of luck with your move... I guarantee you'll miss California!!

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-18-2008 11:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having actually driven through these regions (numerous times as a passenger and driving it myself), there's a lot of different paths you can take:

Interstates only, southern route:

I-8 to Casa Grande & I-10,
Stay on I-10 through El Paso,
Take I-20 East at the I-10/I-20 Split,
Pick up I-30 at Fort Worth,
Say hi to Brad in Rockwall,
Stay on I-30 to Little Rock & I-40,
Take I-40 past Knoxville, TN to I-81.
Take I-81 up through Virgina and into Pennsylvania,
Pick up I-84 in Scranton, PA
Follow I-84 east until it ends at I-90 in central Mass.
Follow I-90 into Boston.

Southern route, a little more direct:
I-8 to Casa Grande, AZ & I-10,
Take I-10 to Las Cruces, NM & US-70,
Take US-70 east through Roswell, NM and up to Clovis, NM.
Pick up US-60/US-70 at Clovis, NM.
Stay on US-60 at Texico/Farwell split,
Follow US-60 to Canyon, TX & I-27,
Take I-27 into Amarillo to meet up with I-40.
Follow I-40 eastward.

At Oklahoma City one can stay on I-40 all the way to I-81 and then go north. However, the drive is a little more short and direct by picking up I-44 in Oklahoma City, taking I-44 to St. Louis, picking up I-70 there and following that Interstate into Pennsylvania to I-81 in Harrisburg (on to Scranton and I-84 and then across to Mass., etc.).

I wouldn't recommend taking I-40 through northern Arizona and New Mexico this time of year -at least not unless you know for sure the weather isn't going to be snowy.

EDIT: I neglected to include Chicago into the routes. If Chicago is a must, then take the route I mentioned from San Diego via Las Cruces, Roswell, Amarillo, pick up I-44 in Oklahoma City, take I-44 til it ends at I-55 in St. Louis and follow that into Chicago.

[ 01-19-2008, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Bobby Henderson ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-19-2008 01:03 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, if you want to go to Chicago, just take I-80 East from there all the way to I-81 North at Scranton, Pennsylvania. Then (very shortly) pick up I-84 East and take it all the way to the Mass Turnpike (I-90 East). That'll keep you a little below the heavy snows that often blanket the I-90 corridor in PA and NY. If it does snow, though, the states are very good about clearing the roads.

IMHO, I wouldn't go too far South as has been suggested. That's a very long stretch of I-81 between Tennessee and Pennsylvania - and very far out of route!

Maybe Scott has more-current info on this, but be prepared to pay a lot more than you are paying now for food and housing. The taxes are also very high in Massachusetts. You may have a difficult time finding a place to live, too. There were 50-60 applicants for every vacancy when we moved there in 2001. It took us 3 or 4 months to find a very small place nearly 50 miles out - it was just impossible to get any closer.

Finally, if you have an opportunity to stop by the Hadden plant in Louisville and take Louis up on his kind offer, please do! It will be well-worth the detour. They have a fine projector remanufacturing facility, assembly, fabrication and machine shop on site along with two huge warehouses. Louis is very gracious and he may take you to a fantastic diner for the best burgers you've ever had! The whole crew is like family. I loved working there. [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-19-2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, housing can be difficult to find at reasonable prices. Will you be buying or renting?

Why are you moving here, anyway? Weather too good in San Diego? [Smile]

Have a good trip!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-20-2008 07:51 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think about this route (+/-, maybe a little further north in the first 1/3rd or so, but the general idea)? Sooner or later, I will hit snow and nasty weather, of course, but this seems to avoid more of that than just taking the shorter, more northerly route.

-

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2008 08:45 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you figure that route out on your own, or are you trying to say you liked my suggestion? [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2008 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Memphis is a way cool town. Be sure to visit the old town "Blues" area and the Peabody Hotel. You can also go say hi to Elvis!

One thing is for sure... that route will be warmer most of the way.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: