Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A good GPS navigation system (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A good GPS navigation system
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-18-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a nice accessory for the long trip from San Diego to Boston that I have ahead of me, and to make getting around in a completely new area easier, I have decided to finally get myself a nice GPS navigation system. I don't need any of the gadgets, bluetooth, mp3, all that nonsense, I need a good, reliable system that is not too bulky to take with me when I am flying somewhere.

It appears to me that the option where the systems announces the street names as well as turns (text-to-speech or whatever that is called) is more important than a widescreen display. You aren't supposed to stare at the screen anyway while driving. So right now, I am leaning towards the Garmin nüvi 260 which is the cheapest one with text-to-speech and a regular display and not much (if any) multimedia features. It also seems to be quite handy, flat rather than the CRT shape some of them have and which make them a little bulky.

I guess the actual navigation features and content such as points of interest, shops, hotels, etc, are pretty much the same and the price differences are just additional features such as widescreen display or multimedia. So far, I have only used Garmin systems, so I wonder how other systems, like Magellan, compare to these?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-18-2008 10:03 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Garmin Nuvi360 equipped with North American and European data bases. It is simple, small and cheap. Very satisfied....about 50 languages. I travel with it even if I am not driving. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2008 10:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
about 50 languages
So... which one do you normally use?

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-19-2008 02:57 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought my wife a Garmin for Christmas. Very nice. Portable. Easy-to-see screen.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-19-2008 03:04 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading a number of reviews, I am leaning more and more towards the Magellan Maestro 4040 which is only slightly more expensive than the Garmin nüvi 260, but it also has text-to-speech, widescreen display and bluetooth for hands-free calling. Dunno if I really need that, but it might be practical. The navigation features appear to get generally very positive reviews although some say the semi-transparent icons on the screen are a little hard to read. Still, that looks quite attractive. But I have absolutely no experience with Magellan systems. Has anyone ever used one of them?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-19-2008 04:38 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must really like driving Michael, that's a heck of a long journey; it's actually further than the total distince that I drove in the several years that I had a car.

Just make sure that you don't do what several drivers have done with GPS systems recently, I've heard of two cases here and one in the US in the last couple of months where a driver has been instructed by the GPS to turn left or right and they have done so, onto a railway line at a level crossing. In the US case the driver was unable to reverse their vehicle off the crossing, and it was hit by a train. This was on Metro North in New York (state, not city). The story, and a picture of the crossing are here:

web page

There was a thread about it on uk.railway a couple of weeks ago.

Even in the dark I really fail to see how the driver could mistake this crossing for a road; it's not exactly an unmarked one, is it?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-19-2008 09:09 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a MyGuide 3100, and, despite being about the cheapest satnav on the market, I'm very pleased with it. The machine is really a fully featured PDA running Windows CE 5.0, and is easy to hack to install other software. The GPS software it comes with is a rebadged version of iGO, and the package I bought had UK maps only. You can download the Main Roads of Europe (motorways and 'A' roads only, bascially) map and install it for free, but the licence file won't let you install other maps. I guess the US version is similarly locked to US maps only.

However, I had no problem hacking it and installing an Ebay-purchased full version of iGO, plus TomTom (instructions are on the EBuyer forum thread linked above). I personally prefer the former: the directions are clear, the route logging feature is useful (you can note the total journey time so that if you do the same trip again, you can give people a reasonably accurate ETA), and you can configure it to change from a small scale 2D map while cruising on the motorway (5 miles on the screen) to a large scale, detailed 3D map as you approach junctions and decision points.

The machine comes with 500mb of flash memory built in (enough for iGO, plus UK, Ireland and either Main Roads of Europe or one other country - probably enough for detailed maps of 3 or 4 US states, I'd guess), and will also take SD cards up to 4gb. Excellent value, IMHO. If you want to install a media player and also use it as an ersatz ShiPod connected to your stereo (standard stereo headphone jack), you can do that too.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was on the road doing sales the last two years, I used a Magellan c330 that my employer bought me. My biggest two complaints is that the maps were already out of date when I got it, and it takes really screwy routes sometimes. Even though I have it set to take the most direct route it will sometimes take me way out of the way when I know there is a faster, more direct way.

As for the maps, the first time I noticed they were messed up was when I was driving across a major highway that runs east to west across mid-Ohio that had been there for twenty years. It showed me driving through a field parallel to the highway about 1/2 a mile away. Once I was trying to get to a place that is on the other side of a dead end street but it took me to the dead end street so I have to find a way back out and around to get to the building.

There are quite a few map mistakes that I have found while using it since I got it including taking me past the place I was going to and showing places on the maps that have been gone for many years. For instance if I pick out a Burger King nearby and drive there only to find that there is now a bank there.

The fee to update the maps online costs almost $50 if I remember right. Not really worth it to me since I have a feeling that the mistakes I noticed probably won't be fixed anyways. GPS systems will probably soon be like home copiers. It is cheaper to buy a new copier than buy a new cartridge. It will probably be cheaper to buy a new GPS than to update the maps when the prices eventually come down.

It is nice to have but I think the technology and information on them needs to catch up a little before they can be heavily relied on and practical. Definitely not a substitute for common sense and a good road map. Don't zone out like I did many times and just relied on it and ended up lost. [Wink] With the experience I have had with them I wouldn't waste my money on one at this point in time.

One of my co-workers has a TomTom and he hacked it and downloaded some celebrity voices from the internet. One of them is Clint Eastwood giving you directions. Another one is a woman who talks dirty to you. It's hilarious. Unfortunately I couldn't find any hacks for my Garmin online.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-19-2008 02:38 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
I used a Magellan c330 that my employer bought me.
Googling c330 actually brings up this Garmin model, but no Magellan:

-

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 02:42 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Purchased a Garmin Streetpilot c330 three years ago for $800. It was on sale from $1,000. It works great and maps/info can be updated on the Garmin website. This same unit now sells for $200 on sale at Best Buy.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 07:47 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted by the Tom Tom Go 520, mainly because of all the extra features. It has an FM transmitter to play MP3s through the car radio, hands-free bluetooth calling, will read received txt messages aloud while driving, has a large 4.3" touch screen, has voice recognition and loads more.

While I'm not in desperate need of a GPS system, I am in need of some kind of in car MP3 player/mobile bluetooth/toy thingy! This seems to fit the bill all in one box! It's not that pricey either.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-20-2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is Garmin, the undisputed leader. Most aircraft are Garmin as well. Nuvi 360 uses basically the same program as the aircraft. (No I haven't taken the Nuvi aloft....yet.)

I have seen an error or two, but the other 99.999% it is excellent. Downloads are free from their website.

I use the Aussie woman.....then I deliberately disobey!!!! This feels good (after being married 35 years.) Louis

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-20-2008 10:45 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350. Used it for 2 driving trips to Reno where I had a lot of downtown Reno addresses to locate. It never failed to get me where I was going and back "home" again. Audio navigation prompts are an absolute must in these things.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2008 12:01 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own the TomTom GO720, which I am very happy with. It features Text to Speech, 4.3" screen, the FM transmitter, and Bluetooth for hands free calling. I didn't think I would use the Bluetooth, but it has turned out to be a usefull feature. My TomTom's map was up to date from the store, but they offer one free current map download with each unit purchased to insure you have the most current map.

The feature I like best is that if I ignore it's instructions and get off of it's route, it immediatly recalculates the route based on where I turned rather than telling me to turn around. Very usefull to go around traffic jams or if you know a faster route.

The TomTom also has the ability to display and route around traffic jams, either with an optional additional receiver that sticks on the window, or wirelessly thru your phones bluetooth, although that option requires a fee and cell phone data fees.

Overall, I have been very happy with it. The only thing I would recommend regardless of what brand you buy, is don't get the 3.5" screen. Go for the bigger screen, it makes a difference.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-20-2008 02:53 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
My experience is Garmin, the undisputed leader. Most aircraft are Garmin as well. Nuvi 360 uses basically the same program as the aircraft.
Interesting to know.

Right now, I am undecided between these two:

Garmin nüvi 260

for $268 from amazon - 3.5" screen, text-to-speech (direction in real street names), the cheapest Garmin with that function. There is a handy comparison chart on the same page. Beyond that, currency converter, calculator, world time, picture viewer, all pretty much irrelevant extras.

Or this:

Magellan Maestro 4040

for $291 - 4.3"widescreen, text-to-speech, bluetooth phone, muliti destination routing - this does look more attractive with a number of features more for just a little more money. But I don't have any expereince with Magellan systems at all...hm...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: