Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Suzanne Pleshette, 1937-2008

Author Topic: Suzanne Pleshette, 1937-2008
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 11:58 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Article

quote:

Suzanne Pleshette dies in Los Angeles
By BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Writer
Sun Jan 20, 6:13 PM ET

Suzanne Pleshette, best known for her role as Bob Newhart's wife on television's long-running "The Bob Newhart Show," has died, just days before a ceremony honoring her with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Pleshette, who underwent chemotherapy for lung cancer in 2006, died of respiratory failure Saturday evening at her Los Angeles home, said attorney and family friend Robert Finkelstein.

The beautiful, husky-voiced TV, film and theater star was set to attend the Jan. 31 ceremony, her 71st birthday.

"She was a pro's pro," Bob Newhart said. "Although we knew she was quite sick, she was one of those people that you thought would go on forever."

"The Bob Newhart Show, a hit throughout its six-year run, starred comedian Newhart as a Chicago psychiatrist surrounded by eccentric patients. Pleshette — as his sardonic wife — provided the voice of reason.

Four years after the show ended in 1978, Newhart went on to the equally successful "Newhart" series in which he was the proprietor of a New England inn populated by more eccentrics. When that show ended in 1990, Pleshette reprised her role — from the first show — in one of the most clever final episodes in TV history.

It had Newhart waking up in the bedroom of his "The Bob Newhart Show" home with Pleshette at his side. He went on to tell her of the crazy dream he'd just had of running an inn filled with a cast of odd characters.

"If I'm in Timbuktu, I'll fly home to do that," Pleshette said of her reaction when Newhart told her how he was thinking of ending the show.

Born Jan. 31, 1937, in New York City, Pleshette began her career as a stage actress after attending the city's High School of the Performing Arts and studying at its Neighborhood Playhouse. She was often picked for roles because of her beauty and her throaty voice.

"When I was 4," she told an interviewer in 1994, "I was answering the phone, and (the callers) thought I was my father. So I often got quirky roles because I was never the conventional ingenue."

She met her future husband, Tom Poston, when they appeared together in the 1959 Broadway comedy "The Golden Fleecing," but didn't marry him until more than 40 years later.

Although the two had a brief fling, they went on to marry others. By 2000 both were widowed and they got back together, marrying the following year.

"He was such a wonderful man. He had fun every day of his life," Pleshette said after Poston died in April 2007.

Among her other Broadway roles was replacing Anne Bancroft in "The Miracle Worker," the 1959 drama about Helen Keller, in New York and on the road.

Meanwhile, she had launched her film career with Jerry Lewis in 1958 in "The Geisha Boy." She went on to appear in numerous television shows, including "Have Gun, Will Travel," "Alfred Hitchcock Presents," "Playhouse 90" and "Naked City."

By the early 1960s, Pleshette attracted a teenage following with her youthful roles in such films as "Rome Adventure," "Fate Is the Hunter," "Youngblood Hawke" and "A Distant Trumpet."

She married fellow teen favorite Troy Donahue, her co-star in "Rome Adventure," in 1964 but the union lasted less than a year. She was married to Texas oilman Tim Gallagher from 1968 until his death in 2000.

Pleshette matured in such films as Hitchcock's "The Birds" and the Disney comedies "The Ugly Dachshund," "Blackbeard's Ghost" and "The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin." Over the years, she also had a busy career in TV movies, including playing the title role in 1990's "Leona Helmsley, the Queen of Mean."

More recently, she appeared in several episodes of the TV sitcoms "Will & Grace" and "8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter."

Time magazine film critic Richard Corliss wrote Sunday that she never achieved quite the stardom she deserved because she came along after Hollywood stopped making movies for the types of sophisticated female characters that she was born to play.

"I prefer to think of her as one of those stars who got away — away from stardom, when the old dream factory forgot how to manufacture domestic glamour," he wrote. "She had the goods, but at the wrong time."

But to Pleshette, being a working actress with a long career was more important than being a star.

"I'm an actress, and that's why I'm still here," she said in a 1999 interview. "Anybody who has the illusion that you can have a career as long as I have and be a star is kidding themselves."

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 01:26 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-21-2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most talk about Susan Pleshette in relation to her stint on the Bob Newhart Show, but her career in film and TV goes back to the 1950s.

One of the earliest memories I have of Pleshette was seeing her performance in Support Your Local Gunfighter with James Garner and Jack Elam. Not the greatest of comedy-westerns, but she was really attractive. When the Newhart show hit the airwaves, my memory of her was still stuck on that movie.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-21-2008 02:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing her in "Geshia Boy" and some Disney stuff as a kid. RIP.

Mark

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-21-2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RIP [Frown]

But Michael you also forgot Allan Mevin's post he was Sam the Butcher on the Brady Bunch series.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember when I first saw her but it was way, way before she became Newharts TV wife! She was sexy to 7 or 8 year old for sure and that stays with you! Sure was sad to hear of her passing! Even her name was sexy Pleshette it had a dirty French sound to it!!!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-21-2008 06:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Her voice always kind of grossed me out, like she smoked 2 packs a day.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-21-2008 07:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought she was hot.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 01:22 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of being hot, wasn't she in a movie called "Hot Stuff" with Jerry Reed and Dom DeLuise? You rarely hear about that one, but I remember seeing it when I was ten or eleven.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-22-2008 03:28 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
wasn't she in a movie called "Hot Stuff" with Jerry Reed and Dom DeLuise
She was...but let's not talk about that pile of [bs]

My first Suzanne memory was the 1976 'Shaggy D.A.'. I thought she made a cool Mom.

Bye, Suzanne.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-22-2008 04:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I best remember her for her parts in "Fate Is the Hunter", "The Birds", and a Columbo episode where she is a witness to a murder. I could NOT stand to watch ANY of the "The Bob Newhart Show" cuz I think he stinks and ALL of his shows (and bits)
were the SOS!

Gene Stavis
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Gene Stavis   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Stavis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pleshette's father was the Manager of both the Manhattan Paramount Theater and the Brooklyn Paramount (Eugene Pleshette). She grew up in movie theaters.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: