Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 2007 Academy Award Nominees (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 2007 Academy Award Nominees
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the list announced January 22, 2008:

1. Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

2. Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

3. Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

4. Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

5. Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

6. Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

7. Foreign Film: "Beaufort," Israel; "The Counterfeiters," Austria; "Katyn," Poland; "Mongol," Kazakhstan; "12," Russia.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"; Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"; Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

9. Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno"; Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"; Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Persepolis"; "Ratatouille"; "Surf's Up."

11. Art Direction: "American Gangster," "Atonement," "The Golden Compass," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street," "There Will Be Blood."

12. Cinematography: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "Atonement," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "3:10 to Yuma," "Transformers."

14. Sound Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "There Will Be Blood," "Transformers."

15. Original Score: "Atonement," Dario Marianelli; "The Kite Runner," Alberto Iglesias; "Michael Clayton," James Newton Howard; "Ratatouille," Michael Giacchino; "3:10 to Yuma," Marco Beltrami.

16. Original Song: "Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined; "So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.

17. Costume: "Across the Universe," "Atonement," "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," "La Vie en Rose," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

18. Documentary Feature: "No End in Sight," "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," "Sicko," "Taxi to the Dark Side," "War/Dance."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Freeheld," "La Corona (The Crown)," "Salim Baba," "Sari's Mother."

20. Film Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Into the Wild," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

21. Makeup: "La Vie en Rose," "Norbit," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

22. Animated Short Film: "I Met the Walrus," "Madame Tutli-Putli," "Meme Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)," "My Love (Moya Lyubov)," "Peter & the Wolf."

23. Live Action Short Film: "At Night," "Il Supplente (The Substitute)," "Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)," "Tanghi Argentini," "The Tonto Woman."

24. Visual Effects: "The Golden Compass," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "Transformers."

[ 01-22-2008, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Typical Academy picks. I am surprised to see Hairspray did not at least get a nomination for sound mixing.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-22-2008 10:29 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree this year's list of nominees was predictable. Among the few I consider surprising were the nods given to Juno. It's a popular, well liked film, but not the usual thing the Academy's stuffed shirts like nominating. I think Juno was Diablo Cody's first screenplay. She has a bit of the "bad girl" image and even worked as an exotic dancer at one time. It's interesting she picked up a best screenplay nomination.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-22-2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT?! You mean "Bourne Ultimatum" didn't get nominated for cinematography? [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-22-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Best Picture: "Juno," "Michael Clayton"
WTF? Michael Clayton sucked ass and lacked any entertainment value whatsoever and Juno was so annoying that I had to stop watching in the first 15 minutes due to the constant songs. They were bad songs, too. Also the main actress talked/had a disposition that was very similar to Janeane Garofalo, who is annoying.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 08:10 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
24. Visual Effects: "The Golden Compass," "Pirates of the Caribbean:

Mark...Did your copy-and-paste job get cut off or somehow exceed film-tech's posting allowance (is there such a thing?), or were there only one and a half movies nominated this year in the Visual Effects category?!

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 01-22-2008 09:24 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, how can Sound Mixing and Sound Editing be two different catagories? Isn't that like splitting Best Actor into Best Performance (Verbal) and Best Performance (Gestural)? I know, technically, they're different, but they're so intertwined, necessarily. Considering the cross-over in nominations between the two categories, it just seems like a cheat to award two different movies the trophy for sound.

In other news, I'm pleased to see the song from Once nominated. But, were there really that few songs out there, that three of them have to be from the parody film Enchanted?

In all other categories, once again, I could not care to a lesser degree than that to which I currently care. [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-22-2008 09:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael: As you should know for yourself quite well, Film-Tech allows for a hell of a lot more text than that in a single post. It was likely Mark's error.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 09:32 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe: touché.

But...Bobby H. has me (and all of us) beat by a longshot for the longest posts. [Razz]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 10:01 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the error...I left off TRANSFORMERS. It's fixed now.

Biggest omission I see is leaving off Paul Dano from THERE WILL BE BLOOD. In my opinion, his performance was almost the equal of Daniel Day Lewis. The final scene of that film with those two is extremely powerful. It would also have been nice to see Josh Brolin recognized for NO COUNTRY.

4 of the 5 animated shorts are linked from this site.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-23-2008 03:07 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Academy picks = YAWN...

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 03:22 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
It's fixed now.

Thanks.

On a related note, I want to know why VISUAL EFFECTS is not a five-nominee category.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-23-2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my very dear friends is a recording engineer for the film music scores and has engineered the orchestral recordings for many top grossing titles. Mixing and finnessing a 110 piece orchestra is no walk in the park. Recording the orchestral score (there is no catagory for this) is a totally separate and unique talent than mixing the overall soundtrack (there IS a catagory for this). So where he commands the recording sessions of full symphoney orchestras and lays down the tracks that can either make or break a film's overall effectiveness, he can never be formally recognized, other than within the fairly tight-knit audio engineering community where he is highly respected. The best he can hope for is if they release the movie soundtrack on CD, he might get a grammy....oooh, but they don't have a catagory over there either.

quote: Joe Redifer
Film-Tech allows for a hell of a lot more text than that in a single post. It
Lucky for me, huh?! [thumbsup]

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 11:33 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
The sound mixer for Hairspay was Ron Bartlett. He was an assistant of mine at one of the theatres I managed. His older brother is also a sound mixer and my best friend. Ron also did the remix of Blade Runner the final cut. He watched it with Ridley Scott and Ridley said he was very pleased with the mix. Rons brother was also quite disapointed that he didnt get a nom for Hairspray. Hopefully he will get one soon.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-24-2008 11:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the winners are:

Best Motion Picture of the Year
Winner: No Country for Old Men (2007) - Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Scott Rudin

Best Achievement in Directing
Winner: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men (2007)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood (2007)

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Winner: Juno (2007) - Diablo Cody

Best Documentary, Features
Winner: Taxi to the Dark Side (2007) - Alex Gibney, Eva Orner

Best Documentary, Short Subjects
Winner: Freeheld (2007) - Cynthia Wade, Vanessa Roth

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Winner: Atonement (2007) - Dario Marianelli

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Winner: There Will Be Blood (2007) - Robert Elswit

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Winner: Once (2006) - Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová(“Falling Slowly” )

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Winner: Fälscher, Die (2007)(Austria)

Best Achievement in Editing
Winner: The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) - Christopher Rouse

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Winner: Marion Cotillard for Môme, La (2007)

Best Achievement in Sound
Winner: The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) - Scott Millan, David Parker, Kirk Francis

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Winner: The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) - Karen M. Baker, Per Hallberg

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Winner: No Country for Old Men (2007) - Joel Coen, Ethan Coen

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Winner: Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton (2007)

Best Short Film, Animated
Winner: Peter & the Wolf (2006) - Suzie Templeton, Hugh Welchman

Best Short Film, Live Action
Winner: Mozart des pickpockets, Le (2006) - Philippe Pollet-Villard

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Winner: Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men (2007)

Best Achievement in Art Direction
Winner: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - Dante Ferretti, Francesca Lo Schiavo

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
Winner: The Golden Compass (2007) - Michael L. Fink, Bill Westenhofer, Ben Morris, Trevor Wood

Best Achievement in Makeup
Winner: Môme, La (2007) - Didier Lavergne, Jan Archibald

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Winner: Ratatouille (2007) - Brad Bird

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Winner: Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007) - Alexandra Byrne

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: