Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » WOW! 'Jaws' Actor Scheider Dies at 75 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WOW! 'Jaws' Actor Scheider Dies at 75
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-10-2008 10:57 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
'Jaws' Actor Scheider Dies

I really liked him in "Jaws" and "The Seven-Ups"

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 06:07 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I just watched "The Seven Ups" yesterday. I just found out he passed away with this post.

"We need to get a bigger boat"

RIP

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 06:32 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget his performance in ALL THAT JAZZ. I consider that one of the best movies for its time.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 06:35 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comes as a suprise. Too bad. Great actor. RIP

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 07:01 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow indeed! [Frown]

I loved him in SeaQuest DSV - although I'm probably the only one. I came very close to meeting him and the entire cast of SeaQuest once at Universal Studios. I kick myself on a regular basis for not taking that opportunity when I had it.

And of course he has been immortalized with Jaws.

He will be missed.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 07:37 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy Scheider brought a realism to almost every role he played. You believed it was really a person and not just a character.

Blue Thunder
The Seven-Ups
52 Pick-Up
Klute
The French Connection
and of course,
JAWS

Farewell and thanks for the memories. [thumbsup]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot he was in "The Seven-Ups." A great chase scene in that movie!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2008 11:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to see. He died of Multiple Myloma... an ex girlfriend's dad died from the same thing. You get an extra two to four years through chemical treatment.

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 11:47 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy Scheider always seemed "real" in whatever role he was playing. I hope the Academy gives him the recognition he deserves during their broadcast this year. "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat" is one of those indelible Hollywood moments that you never forget. [Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 12:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to get the Jaws video out and listen to that line again. I think he says, "We're gonna need a bigger boat." But I've seen it quoted a few different ways, everything from "We'll need to get a bigger boat" to "We gotta get a bigger boat" to "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

I guess "bigger boat" is the only thing everyone agrees on. I would think it'd be every actor's dream to get that one elusive line that goes on to be considered one of the best in movie history.

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 12:51 PM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He says "Your gonna need a bigger boat".

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 12:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The correct version is "You're gonna need a bigger boat"

YouTube Clip from "Jaws" (23 seconds into it)

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 02:43 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a close friend of mine used to run into him all the time for chemo treatments, and said he was a real gent and a straight shooter.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-11-2008 05:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
When my oldest daughter was 11 we saw "Jaws" in the theatre. In the middle of that night, she was sleep-walking and woke up my wife and myself and said we have to save the scientist (Dreyfuss) and the sunken-ship captain from the shark.

Obviously, the scene with sunken boat with the "pop-out" body made an impression on her.

To this day, she still doesn't remember waking us and saying that! HA! [Smile]

BTW: While at Panavision, I worked on that pic and I could tell ya about some of the many problems with the mechanical shark...oh and the time when the Panaflex camera fell off the dock into the drink! [Wink]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 05:44 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Phil...I thought I was the "Obit Guy"! [Wink] I saw the story last night and was going to post here but at the time couldn't access the site. (Was Film-Tech offline last night during, I think, 9:00-11:00pm-ish PST, or was I just having computer issues?)

Anyway, yeah, I was surprised and bummed to hear of Scheider's passing. Always liked him and agree with others he was an underrated actor and was always believable.

I'm not much of a musical fan, so can't comment on "All That Jazz." But I definitely enjoyed his performance in "Blue Thunder" and "Jaws."

I've found, to my surprise, that many people dismiss "Jaws" as merely a popcorn/junk movie and the film's performances as nothing special. The film is much more than that, and, in my opinion, the performances are all top notch. Especially touching is Scheider's scene where he wants/needs the hug from his kid. (Of course, the scene's effectiveness is helped by the reaction shot of the wife.) Robert Shaw was borderline over the top, but that worked in contrast with his co-stars.

Everyone's mentioning the "You're gonna need a bigger boat" line, which I agree is great. But I think Scheider's "Jaws" connection includes not only that line of dialogue but two other iconic moments: (1) his line when he's tossing the fish into the ocean and the shark comes to the surface (who didn't jump in unison with Scheider?), and (2) the "treadmill" shot when he sees the kid getting attacked during the 4th of July beach scene.

Spielberg has been accused of being a hack for ripping off that treadmill (i.e. dolly-zoom combo) technique, but I dare anyone to claim its use in "Jaws" as ineffective!

And damn if every obit story I've read has erroneously mentioned "Jaws" being the first movie to gross $100 million. If I only had a buck for every time this "fact" is mentioned in print or conversation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: