Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » first day in the booth

Author Topic: first day in the booth
Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just wondering what were your first thoughts the day you went inside the box? and what did you do all day,did you think you would last or lets quit now,

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-12-2008 02:19 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's already topic about this .. a quick search should find it....

In America, we do not use the term "box" for a projection room, but do sometime use it to refer to a coffin. Although I'm sure I felt like I was in a coffin when working an 18 hour day... [Big Grin]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 02:26 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nirvana.
I always knew it is the coolest part of the theatre, even when I was in grade school.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 04:15 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i cant find another topic like this...

my first day... wow well.. with an employment background of everything from designer to salesman I really felt super lucky to find myself in the job. Unfortunately due to the 'boringness' of my past jobs i have never managed to last a full year with each company... and thats always been a worry.

I had a wonderful teacher in projection. His name was Rob and he was the boss... Such enthusiasm and a brilliant teaching method. He dismissed any worried I had very quickly. Within one day I was lacing up and putting on the shows. Every day was something different... dolby tests one day, rp40 calibrations next... site mainenance...

I instantly loved all the new roles I had in this job. And my interest and love for projection has never faded. 6 months down the line and its gone so fast.... i WILL reach that 1 year marker!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-13-2008 04:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father, when I was in grade school, was a high school teacher, and he would bring home the school's B&H model no.185, 16mm projector home to show us fam members, films that the school had scheduled for some classes for that week.

Now, a 6 yr old kid seeing a machine that can project images and sound from a strip of thin plastic was a sight to be seen. With this, I eventually went up the ranks in high school as a senior member of the A.V. department.

My first experience in a theatre booth was in my junior year of high school when my friend got a job as a projectionist in our local theatre in our town. NOW, that was the amazing part - seeing a different kind of light source, and different kind of machinery doing the same task as those 16mm machines in school.

Right then was the decision to find a way to be a projectionist-to work around this new style of machinery.

...and it took two years later to begin this, but in a drive-in, not an indoor house...where I didn't go to until 3 yrs later in that same theatre where my friend was working at.

Now..38 years later..still playing with the same stuff...

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my first day, they had me assemble a print of ENTRAPMENT, and then screen it. You've gotta love any job that pays you to watch movies.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-13-2008 06:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was given a threading diagram and shown the location of the breaker panel. The print of "Amistad" was already made up onto 6000' reels. No one showed me how to advance the intermittent or even inch the film through the mechanism to make sure that it was threaded properly. Actually, I wasn't shown much of anything. There had just been a management change at the theatre and the new people were totally clueless. I had stopped by the previous night to suggest some films that I wanted them to book, and I ended up showing them how to replace an exciter lamp. At that point, they offered me the job.

Amazingly, I got the first reel started OK (out of frame at first, but on screen and in focus), but I evidently missed something in threading the second projector and the film jammed and screwed up the changeover.

The second show that day went fine. By the third show, someone showed me how to advance the intermittent and thread in frame and that show went quite well.

I had run lots of 16mm in the past, so I understood the concept of threading, optical sound, and changeovers, but the 35mm equipment was quite different from what I had dealt with in the past (though I had visited lots of 35mm booths as well).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-13-2008 08:04 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but I suppose my earliest memory of being inside a projection booth was at the Family Drive-In, in Lexington, KY. We were watching "Gone With The Wind", so it must have been during the 1967 re-release. I also remember my mother talking about Vivian Leigh dying of tuberculosis, which was also in '67. So I would've been 5 years-old.

On a trip to the concession stand, I peered into the open booth door and stood gawking in utter amazement. At the time, that booth had two Ashcraft Super Cinex lamps on slanted Brenkert bases, with BX-100 projectors and 9030 soundheads. 20-minute reels, of course. Now, those were huge lamphouses by any measure, but they must have looked supremely enormous to a 5 year-old.

The projectionist kindly offered to let me have a closer look at the projector so I walked between the machines, looking at the reels spin reciprocally, not knowing entirely what to make of it all. I must have asked him why there were two projectors, because I remember he said, "This other projector will be running in a few minutes." I wondered how that could happen, since the one on the left was obviously running the movie at that moment? About then, my father appeared in the doorway and told me to leave the man alone.

Later that night, as we went back to the concession stand, I peered once again into the booth and the other projector was, indeed, running. I distinctly remember wondering how that had happened without us knowing about it.

That event had a lasting effect on me.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-14-2008 12:10 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First time I was in a booth was in 1966. I was 10 years old and went with my family to see "The Sound Of Music." My dad had a reel-to-reel tape recorder at that time and I was heavily into recording just about anything I could, so I asked if we could go again the next night and take the tape recorder and record the songs. (I'd never heard of a soundtrack album -- or music piracy -- at that point!) My dad went one better and arranged with the owner, who was a friend of his, to let me sit in the booth during the next night's show. It was a great experience but I felt in the way...and of course I couldn't hear the music!

10 years later I got a job working in the same booth and 3 years after that, my brother-in-law and I bought the theatre surrounding it.

My first experience working in a booth was about 5 years before I went to work at the Roxy - I helped out at the now-gone Starlite Drive-In here in town. I never got paid for that gig - it was mostly an excuse to get in free and hang out with my buddy George, whose parents owned the drive-in. They kept me supplied with free burgers and pop, so I was more than happy to help run the booth even though it was full of patched-together crap equipment but it was a blast working there. I still remember when the sound would go out (maybe once a season) and George's dad would be in there frantically swapping tubes in and out of the amplifiers!

I can still taste those burgers. They came with onions pre-added and were cooked in a toaster oven. MAN they were good for fast-food type things.

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2008 12:29 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first time in the booth was when i was 3 or 4. My father was the manager and projectionist at our local 3 screen and helped out at two other single screens. One of my early memories is riding around in circles on the top deck of a christie platter. I also remember the tooth brushes and the rewind table. Also going to the drive in to "help" hook up the speakers. I just drank hot chocolate and handed him the speakers. When i was 12 my father quit working in the theatre business as the theatre he was at went no union. Up until a year ago i had not been in a booth. This is when the theatre i currently work at opened and i was lucky enough to run opening day with my dad along side me. hopefully we can get him back in the booth again someday soon.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2008 01:48 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first time "WORKING" in a projection booth was August 27th, 2003 - the night my wife and I opened our drive-in. The night before our tech was finishing the installation of the projection equipment and he showed me how to build my first print of GREASE. After he left I realized he hadn't showed me how to thread the platter or the projector for the next night's grand opening. I went home, got on Film-Tech, and downloaded the manuals for the Simplex XL and the Strong AP3 platter. I printed them out, studied them and brought them with me to the theatre the next night.
On Wednesday night (Grand Opening Night), I threaded both machines and got it right the first time. It did start out of frame, but that was an easy fix and it didn't take me long to figure out how to do it right. Three days later I misthreaded the print of the original Pirates of the Caribbean thru the platter and ended up with a brain wrap about 30 minutes into the show. Luckily there was a former Carmike projectionist out in the field that night and he came in and helped me get back on screen.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2008 02:22 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
January 1973 offered by owner to move to booth. Hitch - no pay till you can run the booth correctly. Estimated learn time by him. One show a night for two weeks. I could one show a night in concession or box or usher to keep some pay.

It was reel to reel and they were 20 minutes light source Carbon Ark. I was sure watching and trying to thread up the first night I would never be paid in the booth. On the 4th night after the show was done he said "You go on the clock tomorrow."

God I was 18 then a bit older now I loved it then I love it now.

Edit: Forgot to put the mark that had to be achieved: Booth must be kept exactly as it is suppose to be. Film rewound and put in proper cabinet on time each time. Film just be handled correctly including the rewind.

Nothing out of place film splicer in the right place so it can be found quickly and film fixed if there is a break. On test film you must make 21 splices in row that are correctly framed (not tape razor and glue).

You must run three complete shows with perfect frame on every start and perfect or near perfect change overs. No missed change overs, loss of light due to not adjusting your carbons properly. The customer must feel they watched a single reel of film presented without a break.

I basically watched the first night and sort of repeated every other reel what I had been shown. So the 5th day being paid was about as good as it could get!

[ 02-14-2008, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Ron Funderburg ]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To this day I have never forgotten this... I worked at a dollar house and really had a hard-on to get up in the projection booth but the most I got to do was help move prints. One day after we got a new Manager he said he was going to walk to get some change. I guess he decided to stop for lunch on the way and forgot he had a movie to start. Well... We waited and waited and he never came back so finally a few minites before showtime I went up into the booth. "This is my big chance" I thought! I studies one of the other machines that was running and copied it exactly. I didnt get it in frame (didnt know how to set the intermittent) but knew where the framing knob was. I threaded and triple checked my work compared to the other machine and finnally held my breath and pushed the green button. I must have jumped a foot when the lamp struck but amazingly everything started to go and there was a picture on the screen. I was SO proud of myself I went down stairs feeling like such a big shot. A few minutes later the manager came back and I told him what I had done, about 30 seconds later the alarms started to go off and customers came out saying the movie shut off. Well, This booth had Century Sa's on Alpha Platters, and it just so happened that the deck I took up on was already set to re-wind but the payout deck wasnt. I never even realized that the payout platter wasn't turning. I was so embarrased, as I had been bragging to the other staff how I tought myself to run the projectors. I got a good chewing out about it, and thought my days in the booth were over. Somehow the manager decided to show me how to do things and the rest is history!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-15-2008 10:33 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great story Sean.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: