Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Traveling to Houston, Texas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Traveling to Houston, Texas
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2008 09:35 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am leaving this upcoming Tuesday morning for Houston, Texas! I will be in town one night for a job interview so I probably will not have time to check out any sites. Anyone ever been there, or have any comments on the area? I was wondering what the cost of living is like, if housing is affordable, and what it is like to live in the Houston area???

Thanks a million guys!

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2008 10:13 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't miss The Alamo Draft House. Beer and movies, what more could you want in life...

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2008 01:28 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Summers are very hot and very humid.
There are plenty of restaurants and plenty of bars.
We have red light cameras, so be careful when running red lights.
If you smoke, plan on doing it outdoors.
The traffic here is absolutely horrible, so try to live close to where you will work if you move here.
If it's in Pasadena, don't worry.
You'll get used to the smell in no time.
There is a lot of stuff in Spanish, but you don't have to learn Spanish to get by (yet).
There are a few museums, but nothing that I've ever heard of standing out from any other place.
The crime risk varies depending on your area.
I haven't looked at pricing on rent for apartments since sometime in July, but you can get some 1 bedrooms for as low as $500/mo.
If you're looking for a house, you can find some 4 bedroom houses for under 200K.
I don't know how that compares with the rest of the country, but its an example you can use.
I grew up here and my opinion is that it's not a bad place to live, but it's nothing to scream about either.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-29-2008 02:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's humid. And hot. Not as good as Dallas. Not really a desirable place to be.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-29-2008 09:02 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
See this thread.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2008 02:27 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally when Adam responds like that, the thread gets a lock down. Did Adam forget to lock it down? [uhoh]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2008 03:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, Houston is such an awful town, it deserves two threads.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-01-2008 03:29 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only thing good about Houston is the fact that my cousin owns a donut shop there... maybe even a few shops by now.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-01-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, I thought you set yourself up in the service business?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2008 05:56 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After weighing everything and having the theatre that talked me into it in the first place back out at the last minute I decided it wasn't feasible. Also, New England already has some of the best technicians in the country and there is no way I could compete with the experience and knowledge of these guys.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2008 07:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you end up moving to Hell (sp?) I'll run you around to a couple of places the next time I am in town.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-01-2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned, it's hot and humid during summer.

On the other hand, during the rest of the year it's (most of the time) simply not quite as hot but still humid. It's like you've got a hot/humid season followed up by a almost-hot/humid season.

The traffic is an issue but I've avoided it since I made sure that my school, apartment, and work are all fairly close to each other and don't need to get onto the freeways for them.

And as mentioned you can get apartments for pretty cheap and you also have to note that the price doesn't necessarily indicate if it's a good neighborhood or not. Like my apartment complex is pretty quiet most of the time and not much in terms of crime and I'm paying $435 a month (one bedroom) whereas a classmate is at a place that's about $760 per month for a single-bedroom and lots of apartments there have gotten broken into.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2008 08:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my two visits to Houston over the years I can only remember seeing traffic on the interstste go all the way into the setting sun!! There IS alot of good food in Houston though... After living in a dry climate so long I don't even like visiting humid places unless its in the fall/Winter seasons.
Mark

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good brad. I am glad to see that there are a couple other Film-Techers in the area. Bieng from New England I enjoy cooler days. I think sixty degrees is perfect, but for the right job I am sure I could get use to the heat and humidity. I am excited because the company I am interviewing with is growing and seems like they have really nice locations and do things right. It seems like it may be a great fit for me! I'll let you guys know, and thanks again for your replies and advice!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-02-2008 11:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
I think sixty degrees is perfect, but for the right job I am sure I could get use to the heat and humidity.
Nope, but if the self-brainwashing actually works, then go for it. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: