Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Feature Info and Trailer Attachment Database

Author Topic: Feature Info and Trailer Attachment Database
Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2008 09:26 PM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're about to replace our 8-year-old website at Nu Metro, and part of the project has got to be getting a decent film database going, to reduce redundancy and replace so much paper.

What has this got to do with you? Well, I often come and look at this forum for data that might help us figure out if the print we're about to get is going to be anamorphic or have SDDS, etc. So I made a list (and checked it twice) about two years ago. But now it's time to move beyond a simple list and formally define the data, so I can include it in my database. I've looked through many titles, and this is the relevant data I've come up with:

• Lens format - can only be flat or anamorphic, right?
  • SR audio - can only be on or off, yes or no.
  • SRD audio - ditto
  • DTS audio - ditto
  • SDDS audio - ditto
  • Lab - Don't know how many labs y'all have, so this will be plain text, eg. Tech Hollywood
  • Depot - plain text, eg. TES
  • House (studio?) - plain text, eg. Universal
  • Attached 1 - trailer attached to main feature. Will not be entered here, but will link to another film in the database, cos it's a trailer of another film.
  • Attached 2 - trailer attached to Attached 1
  • Attached 3
  • Attached 4 - do you ever get more than 4 attached?
  • Additional notes - miscellaneous stuff that you guys write, like, "Reel 2 less than half - about 1/3. Fade at end of reel 4, fade at begin reel 5. Complete fade at tail of reel 8. No fade in on head of reel 9." (Superman Returns)
  • Film Year
Anyone care to shatter my illusion by making this even more complicated than I care to handle? [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2008 11:42 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Tristam Williams
Lens format - can only be flat or anamorphic, right?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

007 Physical Description Fixed Field (Motion Picture) web page

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2008 06:02 PM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I know exactly what an aspect ratio is and that there are lots of them - I'm not a moron [Roll Eyes] - but the query was on lens format - we have over 220 screens, and there are only ever two lens formats to choose from. At least I hope so!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-16-2008 09:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably 99% of times there is only one attachement, a trailer. The only time there is more than one is in the case of, for example Disney/Pixar films which might come with a short + a trailer. Then occasionally there are combo trailers which can either be two movies promoted in one trailer, or two distinct trailers (each with their own "green tag") that are supplied on one strip of film.

You might want to separate that category into "attached trailers" and "other attachements" to cover shorts.

Is this database going to cover old movies as well as recent ones? If so, you'll need more than those two "lens formats." For example, you could run a 1.33:1 film with a standard flat lens but you'd cut off the top and bottom of the picture.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-16-2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound can be any of several formats. At the very minimum, you have the following optical sound formats on 35mm:

- silent
- mono (01)
- Dolby A mono (02)
- Dolby A no surround (03)
- Dolby A with surround (04)
- Dolby SR (05)
- Dolby SR mono (Woody Allen)

Tracks can be variable-area or variable-density and, on color prints, can be silver, high-magenta, or cyan. B&W silver prints should be noted as such.

There are also mag prints, 70mm prints, 16mm prints, and other options as well.

Also, consider that prints may have DTS timecode, but no disks.

The presence of subtitles should also be noted, as well as whether the subtitles are printed or laser-burned.

For changeover houses, it is useful to know the type of cues (lab, scratched, grease-pencil, other, none) and spacing (168 or 172 frames between cues, 18 or 24 frames from last cue to end of reel).

For picture format, you have at least the following options for 35mm:

- 1.33 silent (several different possible aperture sizes)
- 1.17 Movietone
- 1.37 Academy
- 1.66 European non-anamorphic widescreen
- 1.75 non-anamorphic widescreen
- 1.85 American non-anamorphic widescreen
- 2.35 early anamorphic
- 2.40 (2.39) current anamorphic
- 2.55 mag only anamorphic (no optical track)

For silents, the frame rate (or rates) should be noted as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: