Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Klipsch speakers in half of all new theater installs? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Klipsch speakers in half of all new theater installs?
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2008 10:14 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an email today from Crutchfield catalog announcing their handling of the Klipsch line of loudspeakers. The following is a quote from that email
quote:
This week, Crutchfield is proud to welcome Klipsch® to our family of products. Even if you're not familiar with Klipsch, you've probably heard their speakers in action — half of all new movie theaters today install Klipsch professional cinema gear. And they apply that audio expertise to their home speakers, giving you full, rich, lifelike sound for music and home theater.
I was under the impression that JBL pretty much owned the cinema speaker market with QSC starting to break in to the new installs quite a bit. Is Klipsch really a big player?

Steve

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-21-2008 10:42 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal uses Klipsch exclusively in all their new builds. That alone probably accounts for close to half the cinema speaker market in the US. Klipsch claims 50% of the South American market too. The Regal 15 that opened here in 2007 is all-Klipsch.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-21-2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your orignal conclusion is still correct. Louis

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2008 12:18 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the stage speakers be The La Scala's? I think this was what UA installed in some theatres in the 80s...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Those LaScala's SUCK!!! Then again, all Klipsch speakers sound like ass.

Does Regal REALLY use Klipsch in their new builds??? I don't know why, but I thought they were JBL.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2008 01:37 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one point in time Klipsch was consider to be hands down the finest cinema speaker in the world. It was the early 1970's and a few changes have happened since then! I like JBL or QSC myself but that is just me!

[ 03-21-2008, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Ron Funderburg ]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-21-2008 01:39 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new IMAX at the Regal Redrock Station uses a mix of Klipsch and whatever IMAX is using these days (Sonics?)

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To steal from the other Brad:
Klipsch home speakers "suck ass" as well.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-21-2008 06:35 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Klipsch Professional Cinema Speakers (sorry, no LaScala listed [Wink] )

Quote from Klipsch web page

quote:
• The world’s largest cinema chains, including Regal Cinemas, Malco Theatres and Harkins Theatres, turn to Klipsch to provide the power, detail and emotion of today’s complex film soundtracks. In fact, one of every two new theaters in North and South America installs Klipsch.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-21-2008 06:41 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Klipsch is 2nd only to BOSE...my favorite! [beer] [Razz] [uhoh]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm sure it at least saves them money in construction costs. With the quality of low end capable of being produced from Klipsch, a piece of sheetrock should be ample sound isolation between auditoriums. [puke]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-21-2008 07:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad...you're killing me..."A" piece of sheet rock....one side only. Louis

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-21-2008 08:33 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is I haven't noticed any low-end deficiency or lack of overall dynamics at the new Regal here. [uhoh] The only thing I have noticed is frequency response coverage across the auditorium doesn't seem as uniform as it should be in some rooms. It's like the mids and highs roll off as you move off-center. I don't know whether that's a speaker issue or a setup issue.

Looking at specs comaparing "best" QSC and Klipsch subwoofers, they seem fairly similar in terms of low-frequency capability, keeping in mind that QSC quotes the low-end limit at -6db, and Klipsch quotes it at -3db (both also quote -10db points). I'm sure Steve or someone will tell us why the specs don't mean squat though. [Wink]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-21-2008 09:32 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was Klipsch's contract to be the exclusive provider of speakers for new Regal builds (just before Regal's bankruptcy) that got them into the cinema business.

The first ones I heard (Regal 16, Eagan, MN) reminded me of a home bookshelf system...a lot of punchy high end and thump with something missing in between. But since most cheap home systems sound like that, I figure their patrons must think it's awesome.

And that Regal 10 in Sherwood, Oregon...that place just sounds hideous.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 12:05 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought "Klipsch" was an ancient Chinese word for "crap."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: