Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Does anyone here podcast? On any topic at all? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Does anyone here podcast? On any topic at all?
Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a lot of fun with my own podcast, and I wonder if anyone else does likewise.

For that matter, are there any "projectionist podcasts" out there?

Mine is BALLYCAST - covering modern-day sideshow arts, carnivals and burlesque.

You might be interested in checking out these direct download links to my favorite episodes:

EPISODE 5 Interview with Glasserella, not just a glass-eating act.

EPISODE 6 - interview with "The Rev. Tommy Gunn" of Freakshow Deluxe

EPISODE 9 - Interview with "Swami Yohmami", comedian, 'human blockhead' and more.

EPISODE 10 - Interview with "Lady Aye" of 'Bump 'n Grindhouse', a mix of burlesque and sideshow in NYC.

EPISODE 12 Interview with all four members of Philadelphia's Olde City Sideshow.

[ 03-25-2008, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Keyser ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-25-2008 01:49 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I moved, we tried to get one together - "Space Shed"

Episode 1 sucks ass, but I do like episode 2 a lot. Now that I live in the far far north and everyone else is still in CA, I'm a little uncertain of the future for it.

Right now, I'm setting aside one room of my new apartment as a podcast studio. I have a few ideas peculating up in my head, which I will keep to myself ... for now.

I had posted earlier to gauge interest in a projection related podcast here . I still would like to get that going. Be happy to have you on the pannel - can you use Skype?

My eventual podcast empire will reside at Randomination.com

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2008 02:29 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I have been toying with the idea of doing an 'audio blog'. Instead of the boring text one I have now.

Hmmm... Maybe an online "Podcast" show would work for me.

Thanks for the Idea!

[beer]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-25-2008 03:03 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent examples of well produced podcasts:

1) TikiBarTV (Video)- Without a doubt, one of the best. A cliche problem occurs at the TikiBar (location undisclosed) and it's up to the gang to solve it. This usually happens when Dr. Tiki M.D. USB PhD perscribes a cocktail which bartender Johnny Johnny then teaches us how to make. And then there's La-La...
Highlight Episodes: Red October, Drinkbot, and Volcano
Web Site

2) This Week In Media (Audio) - Covers video and multimedia production. Web Site

3) The Meth Minute 39 (video) - A new bizzare animated short each week. Web Site

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2008 05:07 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been interested in creating a podcast... but...

When I wanted to dabble in creating my own web site, there was Geocities to help me play around for free before investing in domain names and hosting services. If I didn't like it I could stop, without any loss except my hobby time.

In the same sense, I can use YouTube for free and I can quit whenever I want without wasting some kind of investment. But I'm wondering if there's any kind of "free" hosting when it comes to podcasts, so that a guy can try the whole podcasting thing without any great commitment. I mean, I need to figure out A) if I want to keep producing stuff on a regular basis and B) if anyone is really going to listen.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-25-2008 08:13 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any file hosting service will do (even GeoCities!)

A podcast simply means that in addition to the audio file on your server, you also have an RSS feed that allows podcatching clients to automatically download new episodes as you release them.

That said, If you don't want to worry about having to learn RSS, http://www.libsyn.com offers very affordable podcast hosting (I pay 5 bucks per month) with unlimited downstream bandwidth. Instead they limit how much data you can upload per month.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2008 09:28 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg - All I had to do was Google (not even using any quote marks) PODCAST FREE HOST and a bunch of solutions popped up.

I paid for my own hosting/website, and powweb.com is incredibly cheap and installs wordpress for free, but then I already "swim in those waters" with my other websites I've had for years - I also have to admit that, even though tools like Wordpress are "so easy a child could do it," I found it to be a very steep learning curve (I guess a child could do it but then I'm 58).

Anyway, mine's up and running by some arcane miracle, so I'm not gonna complain, but then again I'm not gonna mess with it as lomng as it chugs along.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-25-2008 11:37 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing this over 20 years ago. It was called broadcasting [Wink] . A 4 or 5 hour show, 6 days a week.

[Big Grin]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2008 08:34 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of broadcasting... The local rock station on Boston (the world famous WBCN) has a monthly contest where you can send in 12 songs and if you get picked you get to go into the studio and intro your songs, they call it the "Guest DJ Lunch" I am going in today to do this. I will be on live from noon to 1pm!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-26-2008 02:35 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get 'em to roll an aircheck on you, so you'll have it to apply at other stations.

Btw, remember... when all else fails: time and temp it! [Razz]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seean,

Tell us your thoughts on the old RADIO medium. How does it feel to be in a small space with the knowledge that there are thousands of ears listening to you?

As a teacher I really enjoyed turning students on to the medium of broadcast. I taught both radio and TV but had the most fun with TV.

KEN [uhoh]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 05:21 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have wanted to be a radio DJ longer than I've wanted to work in the movie theatre biz! I love radio, I listen to radio more than I watch T.V. This was really an awesome once in a life time opportunity. They were nice enough to burn me a CD of the hour long segment with all the breaks, and the songs. I was really nervous, the DJ got my from the waiting room had me sit down told me to put on my head phones and went right into the first break! I didnt even have time to get really psyched out. I got tons of pics, I will upload some later. I am seriously considering going to broadcasting school, I don't think I have a good voice but everyone else said I sounded good.

EDITED TO UPLOAD PICTURES. I am in the Black shirt. The DJ "ADAM 12" is in the white and red stripe shirt.

-

-

-

-

-

I just wanted to add that I have been in a radio station before but it was maybe 7 or 8 years ago and man, a lot has changed. Last time I was in one they used cart machines and has racks and racks of carts. Now they use a virtual cart machine program on the PC. The board is digital and outputs a high-def signal. The studios at WBCN (104.1 FM CBS Radio Boston) are very very nice. They have a main air studio which is very large. They have the main DJ position and 4 "guest" positions. They have an extensive patch panel where they can accept any audio input there is. They often have live bands that they plug right in to the on air board and mix right there. Some of the DJ's also plug in thier IPOD's so they can play music right from there. Besides the air studio they have 3 production studios that can also be patched into the air board. They have a lot of music on the computer but they also have 2 CD players (some of the songs I chose had to be pulled from the CD library and played on the CD players), a minidisc player, 1 cart deck, and a CD recorder that can record the on air feed.(last time i was in a radio station they still had turntables kicking around) Besides the music computer, and virtual cart machine they have another PC with software to record and edit phone calls, and another PC loaded with all the sound effects that every DJ uses. They also have an external sound effects machine that rich from the "Toucher and Rich" afternoon drive show uses.

[ 03-27-2008, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Sean McKinnon ]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-27-2008 08:10 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice! So, what was the playlist?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-27-2008 10:04 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, man!
quote: Sean McKinnon
I am seriously considering going to broadcasting school
Please don't. Really, it's not necessary. Broadcasting school is a waste of money. Get yourself a tape and resume together, go to a small local station and apply for a gig. I got my first radio job with a 5 minute audition tape I recorded in my bedroom, reading newspaper copy and a :30 spot I wrote for a fictitious advertiser. My first job was running Sunday morning tapes (weekly religious programming). 6am til 2pm... and from the 1 to 2pm hour, I got to play the hits. I had a "show" for one hour a week. That's how I learned the fundamentals. A year or so later, as I became more polished, I got hired by a bigger station in a larger market.

Most likely, your first assignment will be babysitting the automation on overnights or the weekend, where you might cut weather and stop set breaks (on a system like "Voice Tracker"). Maybe some production. You might also be responsible for several stations at once, given the broadcast climate today. Take whatever you can get short of janitor. Read R&R, too (Radio and Records). They used to have a good classified section with job listings.

Just use that job to learn the biz while you get paid for it (it'll probably be minimum wage, sure, but at least you're not shelling out your own jack). Then work up to bigger stations as you learn the ropes and train your voice. That's how most everyone starts.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 10:11 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I was thinking Radio was boring now, as a lot of stations don't even use cd players anymore.
Of course, Sean is in Boston...
Out here in the number one hundred something and something market...boring.
I'm listening to a Jack FM station as I am typing this. Allegedly, this is satellite fed from ABC in PLano. I don't know why...the format sounds computerized to me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: