Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film Priates and 670-million dollars (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Film Priates and 670-million dollars
Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2008 02:34 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a speech to Showest the president of NATO John Fithian said the following.

“if our 2007 glass had 9.6 billion record-breaking dollars in it, there was a 670-million-dollar empty space at the top of that glass. Somebody else’s straw is in our milkshake, and they’re drinking it up. That straw is movie theft. According to numbers from a study commissioned by the MPAA, we would have sold an additional 100 million tickets last year but for piracy. Dan Glickman has eloquently described the impact of movie theft on his studio members and the Herculean efforts they are undertaking to combat this scourge. Now I want each cinema person sitting in this room to focus clearly. Our industry can make a lot more money if we get that straw out of our milkshake. We must continue waging war against the criminals who profit by stealing from our industry.”

The speech is included in an article (or rather is an article) on Boxoffice. The complete text can be read here http://boxoffice.com/blogs/chad/2008/03/the-last-straw-for-exhibitors.php . My question is how accurate is the dollar figures? How do we know what the loss is ... could it be greater or less? Is it just a % of the business done and that is how we arrive at the figure?

I know that priates do steel the movie and put it on the next on DVDs and sell it it. How big a problem is it does it affect us as operators, or owners?

I feel it does but what is to be done? On one hand they urge you to inform people it is against the law and on the other hand they make strong argument against the government regulation of the Internet.

What is everyones idea's on this. I'm curious.

Adam if I have duplicated another thread please close and move to proper place!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 04:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way to accurately estimate how much movie theft costs the industry. They figure each illegal DVD is worth "x" number of tickets not sold, but there's no way to know if all the people who acquire the illegal DVD would have bought a ticket.

However, the illegitimate viewer IS receiving value and getting the same content (albeit possibly in crappy form) that he would get if he bought a ticket, and on top of that he might be showing it to a dozen loser buddies....none of whom might have bought a ticket, but some might have.

So bottom line, the estimate of actual $ lost is a wild guess at best.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 04:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see your measly 670 million dollars and raise you 4.6 TRILLION dollars that stimulated the economy due to fair use of copyrighted media.

Link

Excerpt:
quote:

Fair Use Economy Represents One-Sixth of U.S. GDP
File Under: News, 2007, Copyright, CCIA
Sep 12, 2007
WASHINGTON D.C. - Fair Use exceptions to U.S. copyright laws are responsible for more than $4.5 trillion in annual revenue for the United States, according to the findings of an unprecedented economic study released today. According to the study commissioned by the Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA) and conducted in accordance with a World Intellectual Property Organization methodology, companies benefiting from limitations on copyright-holders’ exclusive rights, such as “fair use” – generate substantial revenue, employ millions of workers, and, in 2006, represented one-sixth of total U.S. GDP.

[ 04-02-2008, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-02-2008 05:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
However, the illegitimate viewer IS receiving value and getting the same content (albeit possibly in crappy form) that he would get if he bought a ticket
I disagree. Compressed audio/video usually looks and sounds better than most movie theaters can present these days. If I am going to pay for something, I had damn well better get a good presentation. Give me a reason to exit my home theater and go to yours. What? You can't? Well OK then. Oh, you got digital cinema which solves the apathy problem most theaters have? But you want me to pay $13 a ticket for that? LOL @ theaters. They fail.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 05:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our tickets are $6.50.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-02-2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're one of the few. Your prices will likely increase when you add digital projection.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-02-2008 07:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of Carmike locations equipped with digital projection whose ticket prices are at or under $6.50. Some have prices as low as $4. Of course, these locations are often in smaller cities and towns, but they do exist. Here in Lawton the price is $6.25 for matinées and $8.50 in the evening.

As for the audio/video compression quality, the JPEG-2000 format for "D-cinema" is definitely superior to anything available to consumers on home video, including the Blu-ray format. But that doesn't address the factor of how well the projector is set up or, worse, how the sound system is maintained.

The AVC and VC-1 formats allow for lots of harmful techniques on compressing video. No limit on how much a video image can be tiled and transformed. No limits on inter-frame compression either.

DCI-compliant Motion JPEG 2000 files for D-cinema do not allow interframe compression at all (and it isn't even possible for JPEG2000 anyway since each frame is a fully separate, discrete image). Of course, the file sizes for D-cinema movies are typically much larger than what is stored on a Blu-ray disc.

quote: John Fithian
According to numbers from a study commissioned by the MPAA, we would have sold an additional 100 million tickets last year but for piracy.
What a crock of shit.

What makes this guy believe the downloaders out there would bother to go to a theater and pay to watch a movie (much less even bother to rent it from a video store) if the pirated version wasn't available?

For one thing, viewers of pirated content are watching crap they probably wouldn't normally watch if it wasn't freely, conveniently available right on their computer.

Fithian should do a Hans Gruber impersonation when citing that fictional $670 million figure. It sounds like something from a Die Hard installment.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2008 08:18 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is no way to measure what is lost or not lost over the illegal sale of DVD's the Internet has no value to anyone well no income. The problem with DVD's sales is the same as any other criminal activity there is no income tax or sales tax paid on it. That is where the real theft takes place, we lose the government income and therefore we pay more in those taxes because others do not pay their fair share!

Mike there is no way to know how many units of DVD's of a film are sold since it is illegal no one reports it. No one puts on their tax return "Sold 100 copies of bootleg videos" the same as no on puts in that they sold cigarette's that were bootlegged in that is the whole point of doing it illegal you don't have to pay the proper taxes. So they have made a guess and nothing more.

I don't think that video pirates are a real threat to the theater industry. In fact only if the product is stolen at studio is the quality any good at all. If it stolen in a theater the quality takes a big nose dive and you have talking recorded, the person in front of the guy doing the recording gets up to go the bathroom there is someone with a cold near by and the recording of the sound from the screen is at best puny in comparison.

I'm not trying to say that Joe is full of shit but he is no one in their right mind would prefer a bootleg video to seeing it in a theater. The few I have seen are absolute terrible, poor focus shaky sometimes, and just plane bad. Yes I have friends that are dumb enough to show me one when they just can't help but say “look I got before it left the theater”.

Bobby they attach a $$ figure to it so that everyone understand that someone is hurt by it. You can't be against something because it is wrong someone must be harmed and pretty seriously for anyone to care anymore. 670 million is pretty serious don't you think? You also can't be against it because it robs the local, state and federal government of money and makes the average joe pay more in taxes (not our Joe he isn't average)! You know it is just something that is wrong and sometimes it would be nice to be able to say HEY DIP SHIT DON'T DO THAT IT ISN'T RIGHT!

Well that is my opinion!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-02-2008 08:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The problem with DVD's sales is the same as any other criminal activity there is no income tax or sales tax paid on it. That is where the real theft takes place, we lose the government income and therefore we pay more in those taxes because others do not pay their fair share!
So... if all piracy was eliminated, we'd all pay lower taxes? Right. Since murder is also a criminal activity, should it be taxed?

Sure, some downloads look like ass, but lots of them come from people in the industry with screener DVDs. Nothing wrong with the sound and picture. Even though the sound is limited to stereo when watching on the computer, it is usually still better than the poorly equipped and maintained audio at 99% of theaters these days. And even though the picture is small and you sometimes have to see text at the bottom of the screen saying "OMG pleez don't copy dis, this be 4 private use only" or some such nonsense, at least the picture is evenly lit side to side, top to bottom and corner to corner. Oh, no dirt or scratches, either. I couldn't give two shits about watching a movie with an audience. They distract me more than enhance the moviegoing experience. There have been links from this very website to high quality bootlegs before a movie's release (not from me). I assume you missed that post.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2008 09:21 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Joe I'm old fashioned I don't speed, I don't take drugs, I don't kill anyone, I don't cheat on my wife or my taxes. Those that do should have harm happen to them because it is wrong. I don't condone anything that is illegal and I don't participate in it. That is not to say I'm overly moral or that I have always been this way. I grew up getting more and more conservative where right and wrong are concerned and it matters to me.

You know I don't piss on my neighbors lawn or let my dog do so! I feel people should do what is right and not what is wrong for no other reason than that is right to do the right thing.

I would expect that when you do work for someone you expect to be paid it is the right thing for them to do but you know maybe they can save money having you work for nothing guess that is okay with you. Or is only wrong when it affects you personally?

And No Joe I have never followed a link from anywhere to download a movie illegally it would be breaking the law and that would make me a law breaker and I don't do that! If you do that is your business for you to answer to yourself or a greater power for more power to you but I don't condone it and will not say it is right for anyone to do so.

Yup I'm on the soap box I apologize and get down now sorry for all those that this offends just do what you want.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 09:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Even though the sound is limited to stereo when watching on the computer, it is usually still better than the poorly equipped and maintained audio at 99% of theaters these days.
Where do you get that 99% figure?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2008 09:52 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike he pulled out of thin air or a convenient body opening!

Randy it would appear that fair use exception has something to do with copies of your own software and taping a broadcast movie to watch at a later time and about anything to with home use as opposed to public exhibition but it seems a bit vague to me it doesn't define what fair use is.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-02-2008 10:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
Bobby they attach a $$ figure to it so that everyone understand that someone is hurt by it. You can't be against something because it is wrong someone must be harmed and pretty seriously for anyone to care anymore. 670 million is pretty serious don't you think?
I don't condone movie piracy.

I think the problem of Internet downloading pirated movies is a negligible problem. I even think the MPAA could be padding that $670 million claim.

Let's also not forget the MPAA is doing next to nothing at all to control proliferation of screener DVDs. That's the biggest "hole" in the entire situation. It leads to mass produced pirated DVDs overseas, which is the biggest money making product for movie piracy. It isn't from people downloading or videotaping a screen.

The vast majority of the general public doesn't know how to download pirated movies. They don't know where to find such content. They don't know how to reconstruct all the downloaded pieces in a multi-part file and put it together so they can watch it on their computer. Most don't know how to burn it to a DVD either.

There's a lot of people, such as myself, who know how to do that sort of thing, but don't feel like bothering with it. Basically, it's a giant pain in the ass to waste hours of time scavenging for movies. And then it really sucks the poo out of an oily ass to see how shitty the movie looks after all that time spent finding and downloading it. Maybe others feel different. But my time is a little more valuable. It's actually cheaper for me to just go to the theater or video store and watch it legally.

I believe the MPAA really knows all about what I just described. Yet they're choosing to "beat a dead horse" anyway. And that raises some red flags of suspicion.

I think the movie industry is going on and on about this downloading shit because they are constantly pushing to have all sorts of sneaky circuitry built into every movie watching device and then turn that technology against the general public, the vast majority of which is made up of honest customers.

Both HD-DVD and Blu-ray were designed to have infrastructure put into place to potentially turn the device into a "pay per every view" movie player. The combination of new copy protection schemes and LAN/Internet connections make this a distinct possibility. Lots of new cable and satellite DVRs have LAN connections and similar potential.

Circuitry may already be in place within some players to give a movie studio the ability to "brick" your machine if you're playing something illegal. More likely, they'll acquire information about your viewing habits and spam the hell out of you over it. But they really want to slowly progress to a pay per every view business model. They believe it will improve profit margins and greatly improve positive cash flow.

Hollywood really wanted DiVX to succeed back in the 1990s, but got nowhere with it because it was just too obvious what they were pushing. With new Blu-ray players and HD-quality cable/satellite receivers and DVRs such a thing can be accomplished in a much more subtle way.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2008 11:10 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what you are saying Bobby and hollywood knows that the screener DVD is the biggest source of the pirate material and they do nothing. The member's number is right there to be seen and they do have them arrested why because they pay their dues! They are one of them.

The real problem in all this isn't all the pirate material or the loss of income it is a justification to take away someones rights. You buy it once and pay for it and have the right to watch when and as often as you want. Your absolutely right if Hollywood gets their way you will have to pay every time you watch and that is pure shit!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-02-2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, while it is true that I have murdered 4 people, you are assuming that you are paying higher taxes because of it. Show me proof where if I didn't murder those 4 people that your taxes would be lower. Same goes for pirating movies.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Where do you get that 99% figure?
My eyeballs and ears. I appreciate good, powerful (when needed) sound and a nice, steady and clean picture. I also hate sitting with audiences. Usually I wait for the DVD to come out and rent it if I have any interest whatsoever. If it is good, I'll buy the movie on DVD or Blu-ray (I haven't purchased a new release Blu-ray yet, though). However I never pay more than $15 for a DVD and never more than $20 for a Blu-ray. But if I go to a theater with a friend it cost more than that here at local theaters. So it makes no difference to me what you are charging. I'm not driving 589 miles to save a few bucks. Another thing I hate is paying to gain entrance and then being assaulted with lame advertising. It is ALWAYS lame and I have a hard time dealing with paying to see ads. I guess with the sub-par mentality of cable TV subscribers they can get away with this nonsense.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: