Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Adjustng a KV-32FS10 Sony TV

Author Topic: Adjustng a KV-32FS10 Sony TV
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 06:50 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this TV for awhile; it's pretty good. It's getting old, but I don't want to spend any money for anything new or HD until prices go down.

Anyway, the thing is overscanning, etc. and I was wondering what settings I can do myself. Is there a 'setup' mode in this TV that I can use (maybe using the remote) to adjust it? I don't feel like doing it the old way, ie: reaching back there and twisting the yoke, gluing magnets, etc. I couldn't find anything on the internet.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 07:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, you can get into the service menu and take care of most of the overscan problem, unless there's something wrong causing it to grossly overscan. I did that on my 27" Wega and got rid of most of the overscan, compared to factory settings. As I recall, there are only a couple of possible overscan settings, like the equivalents of "Too Much" and "Just Right". The factory setting is "Too Much".

General Sony Tips including how to access the service menu.

AVS Forum has tons of good info on stuff like that. You'll have to do some digging but you should find it helpful. I think you have to register but it's worth it.

I'm sure you're aware that you can royally screw up the picture if you go nuts with the service menu settings. Be careful. If you do mess something up, just make sure you don't commit the changes by pressing the MUTE button. I think you can just power down and power up and it'll go back to the way it was before you changed it, as long as you didn't save by pressing MUTE. Note that a lot of the menu settings have obscure names that are not obvious what they're for. IIRC, the overscan settings are labeled HSIZ and VSIZ (ok, those are fairly obvious). You probably don't want to mess with gun-specific size settings, or you'll introduce convergance problems. HSIZ and VSIZ change the entire picture, not just a single color gun.

Note that if you change the VSIZ setting, you might notice part of the vertical blanking interval thingie at the top of the picture on a few stations. For some reason the WB (now CW) station here does that. It looks like DTS timecode, probably carries closed caption data or something. I almost never see it on any other stations except CW though.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 08:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't this thread be in the Afterlife forum?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2008 10:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike... It shold be in the My TV's a dying forum where ever that is....

John,

Your overscanning problem is very likely related to electrolytic capacitors changing value... You can re-tweek it but its going to slowly continue to change...
P.S. If you watch the sales you can get screami'n deals on flat screen tv's!!!

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 11:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you can get screami'n deals on flat screen tv's!!!

True, but most of the cheap flat-panel sets won't look near as good as his WEGA on analog SD material, if the WEGA is working right.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-03-2008 08:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As old as that set is Dave I can imagine what his CRT is like... way out in left field compared to when it was new... So I doubt it would hold a candle to even a mid-priced LCD... If one spends about a grand on a new flat panel and shops very wisely he will come out way ahead... also in terms of more free channels to watch and a picture that will knock the pants off the NTSC Sony.

Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-03-2008 01:44 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, David, that's exactly what I was looking for! Yeah, it's older but still works fine. The longer I wait, the better and cheaper stuff gets, so there's no down side (to me anyway.) It goes well with my standard DVD's and $27 DVD player!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: