Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Charlton Heston has passed away at 84 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Charlton Heston has passed away at 84
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 12:57 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Legendary actor Charlton Heston has passed away Saturday at age 84.

|  IP: Logged

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 01:16 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May he rest in peace. He certainly was a great actor.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 02:09 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From CNN:

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Actor Charlton Heston died at Beverly Hills home at the age of 84 Saturday, his family said.

Heston was suffering the late stages of Alzheimer's Disease.

Heston, known for portrayals of larger than life figure including Moses and Ben Hur, was suffering the late stages of Alzheimer's Disease.

Heston's wife of 64 years, Lydia, was by his side at the time of his death, according to the family statement.

Heston is survived by a son, a daughter and three grandchildren.

"We knew him as an adoring husband, a kind and devoted father, and a gentle grandfather, with an infectious sense of humor," the family said. "He served these far greater roles with tremendous faith, courage and dignity. He loved deeply, and he was deeply loved."

While no funeral plans have been announced, the family said it would hold a private memorial service.

The Internet Movie Database listed 126 movies and television production credits for Heston, starting in 1941. He rose to fame in the 1950s with starring movie roles including Ben Hur, for which he won an Oscar. He played Moses in the Ten Commandments.

Heston's last acting credit was for playing an elderly Josef Mengele, the Auschwitz Nazi surgeon who performed medical experiments on concentration camp refugees during World War Two in the 2003 movie My Father, Rua Alguem 5555.

Heston was also known for his political activism.

He was a high-profile supporter of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his civil rights movement. He attended King's 1963 March on Washington and stood near the podium as King delivered his "I have a dream" speech.

He was president of the National Rifle Association from 1998 to 2002, a role that cast him as a conservative.

Heston was Born John Charles Carter in Evanston, Illinois on Oct. 4, 1924. He took the surname Heston after his mother divorced and remarried when he was 10.

Source

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 06:24 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes definitely legendary.

from 1941 PEER GYNT to 2002 PAPA RUA ALGUEM 5555 mostly an action man I recall many 70's disaster action films which entertained us ,His most noted I guess would be Ben Hur.

One of my favorites being Soylent Green.

RIP Charlton.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 06:58 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[scowls at Ava Gardner] "GARDDAMMIT!!!"

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 09:25 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick, someone pry that gun from his cold dead hands.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-06-2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His most perfectly cast role and my most favorite was in "Bowling For Columbine"! I'll second what Ian says...

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-06-2008 10:04 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heston was one of the greatest - a true legend, and a larger-than-life presence. I always liked how he could make run of the mill curse words like, "hell" and "damn," sound powerful.

Well, it didn't take but five posts before it started. Nice of Ian to come out of the woodwork, after nearly a year since his last post, for that jab. You must've been waiting a long time to use that line.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 10:15 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It's a MADHOUSE!"

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was wondering when this thread would go douchey, and it took only what 5 or 6 posts? That's a record. [Roll Eyes]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-06-2008 04:18 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cried a little on the inside.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-06-2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
He certainly provided me with many hours of entertainment. Among my favorites of his:

Midway
Earthquake
The Greatest Show on Earth
The Omega Man
Two-Minute Warning
Gray Lady Down
Ben-Hur
The Wreck of the Mary Deare

and of course, The Ten Commandments

I never was into the Planet of the Apes series.

RIP Mr. Heston.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-06-2008 05:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of how people feel about Charlton Heston, no one can dispute the absolute fact Heston had one hell of a film career. Heston was a Hollywood icon. His memory will live on via the more than 100 films in which he appeared.

I thought it was pretty cool that he was able to repeat his immortal "God damn you all to hell" line in the remake of Planet of the Apes.

Heston is mainly known for older movies like Ben Hur, but played in quite a few more recent movies like Any Given Sunday, Tombstone and True Lies.

I'm hoping the attention now being paid to Heston's lifetime of film work might result in some additional push for a better DVD version and Blu-ray version of True Lies to get made. The Region 1 US market has been stuck with the old non-anamorphic DVD since the late 1990s. A new 1080p BD is clearly in order.

Oh, and no one who has seen Soylent Green can forget that line he says at the end of the movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 07:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A legend, for sure. I never did care about his political agenda, he was a great actor and that's all that counts. I don't know if I like Ben-Hur or The Ten Commandments better. They're both great movies.

I never saw ALL of Ben-Hur until we played it at the Roxy in about 1991. Up until then I'd only seen the chariot race and the crucifixion parts. Heston's commentary on the Ben-Hur DVD is really good.

I remember playing "Earthquake" back in our mono sound days, and cranking up the volume to give the best simulation of Sensurround that we could!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 07:10 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The world will never be the same without 'em.

He was a great actor.

Now that Moses has died, does that mean the world is going to end?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: