Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Video Games (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Video Games
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-06-2008 02:19 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't really posted in a while... been in hiding!

Just wondering who on here plays video games and which ones...?

Personally I play World of Warcraft (yes, the addicting 'geek' game) and I play a little Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 on Xbox live, my live account name is Chipper33.

So, do any of you play? =)

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 02:27 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the free trial of WOW a year or so ago. I had to delete it because I was so obsessed with it that was all I could think of! I would stay up to the wee hours of the morning playing it. It consumed me a bit to much than I wanted it to.

I'm a NES fan for life. I don't own a Wii yet, but still have my original NES, Powerglove (ha, yes, but I don't use it) and a GameCube. Favorite games of all time that I still play are any of the Metroid's and Zeldas. Other than that, I'm not a hardcore gamer, but still love them.

On a side note, I litterly just finished watching King Of Kong a few minutes ago. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] Great movie!!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 02:35 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love my Wii - wife and I do love our bowling tournaments we get into in the Wii Sports Disc.

We have all the NES systems: from the original to the Wii (but can easilly forget Virtual Boy)

I also was heavy into SEGA, but kinda slowed that one down real bad.

..but still have fun with my PSP ...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-06-2008 03:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own the following:

-Sega Master System - First console owned and still a favorite. I have over 80 games so far.
-Nintendo Entertainment System - Great system with great games, but I prefer the SMS.
-Sega Genesis - Also an extreme favorite. I also have the Sega CD and 32X add ons, all original models. I have well over 150 games for this so far and am still collecting.
-TurboGrafx-16 - Love this system, lots of great games. Have the CD-ROM add on with Super System Card, Arcade Card and a JP converter card. Don't Neglect the TurboGrafx-16.
-Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) - Pretty nice, I guess. Too much reverb in its muffled sound.
-SNK Neo Geo AES - Sure, the games are $200 or more EACH, and some have inflated way beyond that, but it is still a fantastic arcade system.
-Nintendo Virtual Boy - Bought this complete at a thrift shop for $14 with two games included. It's considered a "portable" game system. Whatever.
-Sega Saturn - Fantastic system that died too soon. Have the official 4MB RAM cart, the MPEG card, and two official Sega Back-Up RAM carts.
-Sony Playstation - Pretty nice, yucky graphics, even for it's time.
-Nintendo 64 - Graphics looked like vomit, but this system has WaveRace 64, and that's all I need (fortunately).
-GameBoy Advance - I only have this for the 3 Castlevania games. Otherwise I don't care much about this thing.
-Sega Dreamcast - The system itself is a little lacking and extremely noisy, but it had many great games, including Shenmue 1 and 2. Nearly every game is in 480p.
-Sony Playstation 2 - Great system, but the fact that most games were stuck in 480i saddened me. Many interlacing issues.
-Nintendo Gamecube - This has one of the best games in the entire world EVER: Super Monkey Ball. The sequel is also awesome, but nothing beats the original. The Wii version is ass.
-Microsoft Xbox - The first system with real time Dolby Digital 5.1. Many great games, lousy controller. Awesome when hacked with Xbox Media Center to watch computer stuff on the TV in whatever resolution you have it set at (480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i).
-Nintendo DS - I hate portables, but the DS is pretty cool. I like the Castlevania and Phoenix Wright games. There are many other cool games as well, like Feel the Magic.
-Microsoft Xbox360 - This system is worth it for Dead Rising alone. Nothing beats running over thousands of zombies at once in a mall with a sports car. Other great games as well. Pay-to-play online is retarded.
-Nintendo Wii - Mediocre system, but Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 both make the system worth owning. Free online, but severely crippled.
-Sony Playstation 3 - Love it so far, but it needs a few more great games. Excellent Blu-ray player. Excellent online gaming capabilities as well... for free.

Every system is hooked up via component video with the exception of the NES, Virtual Boy, GameBoy Advance and DS (the last three have their own screens). The PS3 is hooked up via HDMI. They all run natively in their own resolutions (240p for the pre-Dreamcast systems with a bit of 480i sprinkled in on some games, and 480p and above on the later systems).

Awesome.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-06-2008 04:17 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Playstation 3 is the first video game console I have purchased in over 20 years. The previous console I owned was an Atari 5200 Super System. I think my parents may still have it stored in with some of their stuff.

Strangely, I haven't been playing video games on the PS3 all that much. I own copies of Motor Storm and Call of Duty 4. I really need to get back into playing COD4. It is a good game. I just haven't had the time to get through all of the single player campaign and get good enough with these damned controllers to endure any online play. I'm considering buying Unreal Tournament III since it can work with a mouse and keyboard. I'm far more used to PC style games and their mouse/keyboard relationship after years of playing games like Quake 2, Quake III Arena and Quake 4. Did I mention that I like Quake?

Honestly, the game I've been playing most on PS3 is Super Stardust HD. Not sure why. Maybe it's because the game feels a little more like a classic coin-op game.

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 08:34 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have plenty of game systems! My Wii and PS2 by far get the most use, I also have: Xbox 360, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 64, NES, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Commodore 128, Sega Mastersystem. I've been thinking of getting a PS3, there haven't been many (if any) exclusive games yet that I'm interested in but I'll see what's around in another year or two. I have a couple games for my Mac, but otherwise I almost never use it for games.

Ed Alvarado
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 10:22 AM      Profile for Ed Alvarado   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Alvarado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got several systems so here they are in order of purchase

ATARI
NES
SUPER NES
SEGA GENESIS
GAMEBOY
SEGA CD
ATARI JAGUAR
VIRTUAL BOY
GAMEBOY COLOR
NINTENDO64
SEGA SATURN
PLAYSTATION
DREAMCAST
PS2
XBOX
GAMECUBE
XBOX360
Wii(thing sucks)

oh can anybody tell me how to add a picture to your profile I cant seem to figure it out.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Go to the member pictures----upload here! thread in this forum film-yak it is "Stuck" at the top of the page)

The only game system I ever owned was a Super Nintendo, my favprite game was Zelda, The Adventures Of Link!

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-06-2008 06:33 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XBOX Live: Olpin8er

I'm liking Dead Rising a lot right now. I'm not really an avid gamer, so mustly I just play some lame arcade game for ten minutes at a time. (Anyone down for UNO?) The last system I really loved was the Genesis I had when I was 11.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-06-2008 06:36 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only one I have currently is the PS2. I basically use it to play Millipede.

I haven't been much of a gamer since the 5200. I owned nearly everything that was released for it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an Atari 5200 as well. I thought it sucked because they advertised games that were "just like" their arcade counterparts, but they weren't even close. ("Missle Command" was my favorite -- still a great game to this day.) I haven't owned a game system since, but do have a few computer games that I hardly ever get a chance to play. Just not enough spare time.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-06-2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Way back when (1979-1983), I had an Atari 800 with a couple of 810 disc drives and a 1200 baud Hayes modem... many hours of fun (and games) with that stuff/machine! Then moved up to an IBM PC for biz reasons. [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, forgot about Atari to be included - Have a 600XL (modded to use the 64k memory of the 800XL), a 1200XL and a 800XL - with the 1050 drive and the 400 cassettte drive also...along with the 2600 (original) and an Magnavox Odyssey system.

And, how about Coleco's handheld LED "Football" game?

Anybody remember Fairchild's "Channel F" system?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-06-2008 07:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Atari 5200 was almost big enough to live inside of.

Angry Video Game Nerd's 5200 video "review"

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-06-2008 07:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I had an Atari 5200 as well. I thought it sucked because they advertised games that were "just like" their arcade counterparts, but they weren't even close.
The only Atari 5200 game I thought seemed reasonably close was Centipede. Looked somewhat similar to the original coin-op game and had the exact same sound effects as the coin-op game. Outside of that, the 5200 version was a lot harder to play due to the horizontal orientation of the TV screen. It didn't take nearly as long for the centipedes to get down to the bottom of the screen.

Dig Dug was another 5200 game that had a reasonably passing resemblance to the coin op. Same sound effects again. I had other games like Defender, Joust and Robotron.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: