Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Electric Chainsaws---Any Good Ones?

Author Topic: Electric Chainsaws---Any Good Ones?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-10-2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Remington 12" a couple years ago and had to fix it 3 times in the course of the first and only cut attempted with it.
The needle bearing inside the drive sprocket failed 3 times, replaced it 3 times. Slow but adequate for the job.

Anybody know of a reasonably priced electric chainsaw that is not from the same mfgr as theRemington?

|  IP: Logged

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2008 09:23 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know about electric. I've got a weed-eater 12" that seems to work okay. Black & Decker also makes them. I'd go with gas though.

Homelite and Mccullough make somewhat effective chain saws. But if I were you, I'd try to pick up a used Stihl. Many weekend warriors will buy a 12" Stihl to cut a tree and then never use it again. Their loss is your gain. If they are living in the suburbs, you've got yourself a deal [thumbsup]

You'll spend far less time futzing with a Stihl than any others.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2008 11:44 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those weekend warriors who bought an 18" Homelite chain saw, used it once, let it sit till the carburetor gummed up, and still haven't had it repaired yet.

I had a business meeting one night several years ago and I was away from home for a couple of hours. While I was gone, a lady made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up getting lost on our old winding country road. Being unfamiliar with the road, she was going too fast down the hill, didn't see the curve, ended up in my ditch, took out one tree, and then flipped her Honda "roof first" into the side of a 36" wide Oak tree on the corner of my driveway. She died in my driveway. [Eek!]

About a week later, one of her family members came to put flowers at the base of the big tree. I walked over and the family member asked, "Who would plant a tree this big right next to the road?" I just looked at her and said, "the tree was here before the road was ever built".

The tree she took out was leaning over my driveway to the point I couldn't get my truck in the drive. I parked in the yard the next couple of days until I went to Home Depot on Saturday and bought my chain saw. Like I said, I used it for a couple of days cutting up that one tree, then I put it in storage for like 3 years with the gas still left in it.

I've never had an electric chain saw, but the electric weedeaters I've owned before didn't even compare to a gas powered version.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-11-2008 02:41 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stihl is excellent but pricy compared to the "throw away" Remington. Stihl tend to be sold and serviced by lawncare dealers. We have the electric Remington for quick and dirty and the Stihl 250 gas power for after "Florida type wind storm" cleanup [Cool] Stihl "invented" the electric chainsaw....

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2008 06:26 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a gas chain saw for the big jobs, but I don't use it very often, so it is always a hassle getting it going. I also have an electric chain saw. I plug it in, and it works. You would not want to do the "big" job with an electric, but it is much easier to use, and it is also lighter, so you don't get tired as quickly when using it. My electric is a Remington 16".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2008 11:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, You'd be best to consult that guy in the movie that was very handy with a chain saw... what was that film?????

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: