Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Security Cameras

Author Topic: Security Cameras
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2008 10:31 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am doing a quote for a security system in a bar. The owner wants cameras looking at the registers, doors and office. He wants to be able to monitor them remotely. Any suggestions? I'm more interested in the software and to be able to watch and record it remotely. I'm thinking about 8 cameras. Maybe even some "dummy" cameras thrown up so the employees think they're being watched. Any suggestions are appreciated, Rick

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2008 11:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to install a few cameras so the "Red Party Members" can keep tabs on everyone [Big Grin] .

Mark

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-12-2008 12:48 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Intellex (now owned by Sensormatic) has some nice DVR units with decent remote software. You can remotely watch live video or download stored video while the unit continues to record.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2008 01:19 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q-see has some decent stuff. They offer packages including cameras and a DVR. Some of their DVRs record in H.264 format. If you buy a commercial or proffesional setup from them it will allow remote viewing through a web browser or native software client.

Costco offers package deals, that are pretty cheap. We bought one, and so far it's served it's purpose.

We also have a Bosch/Phillips DVR and camera system that is much more robust and better quality, but the cost of the Divar DVR alone is more than the whole package from Q-see. The Divar is only 6 channel, whereas the Q-see is 16 channel. The Bosch cameras are of the AutoDome models and we have two PTZ cameras and 4 dome type.

So, find out the customer's budget and go from there. Price out both systems. The lens and CCD quality of the Q-see stuff is noticeably lower than our Bosch stuff, but it still provides a decent picture for monitoring cash handling.

Most decent DVR units will allow for remote monitoring, and are expandable to allow for more storage.

One thing to note: The software interface for the Bosch Divar system is 100 times better than the Q-see, but the recording quality of the Q-see is much better.....go figure.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 04-12-2008 08:39 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know of any smaller theatre operation that has a TV security setup that allows monitoring of projector operation in the booths, images on screen, concession stand, hallways, etc?

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2008 03:41 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would avoid EverFocus. I do not like their equipment at all. Poor storage, poor user interface, etc.

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2008 11:32 AM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thinking on the dummy cameras! While they obviously don't capture anything on tape it is so amazing how good paranoia works to deter stealing!!!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 07:53 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot tell you how many theatres I have managed in the past in which the companies did not give me a security camera budget.

So I would go to the AS SEEN ON T.V. store in the local mall and buy the generic dummy cameras, paint them flat black and stick them up in key places. Never said a word to any of my employees or managers about it and theft would mysterious stop.

The key to this working was to have one room in the building in which I only had the key for: if questions were raised - that's where the monitors for the security cameras were located. [Wink]

Rick Meister
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 08:44 PM      Profile for Rick Meister   Email Rick Meister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a camera on the platter in the booth and a monitor in the concession, after the movie starts everyone leaves and I can see the platter, front door , lobby, ticket booth , concession stand in a rotating pattern . I put this together on stuff from the net $30-$60 cameras and a used time lapse recorder that runs 24x7
i have caught a few brain wraps long before the wrap detector was tripped, and the customer never know there was a problem. have been doing this for several years

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2008 02:51 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
The key to this working was to have one room in the building in which I only had the key for
Unfortunately at least in massachusetts a key for every lock in the building had to be on site, usually kept in a special box with hooks in it mounted on the wall in the manager office in case of a fire or other emergency. I never tried them but we even had the keys to the district offices which were in our building. If you had someone who really wanted to find out theu could just get the keys from the "fire box" UNLESS; you hang a "camera" facing this "secret door" but chances are someone may take the chance and call your bluff.

[ 04-24-2008, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Sean McKinnon ]

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2008 01:03 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience the "fire boxes" here are locked and the only keys to the box are in the posession of the fire department and other emergency services.

The bar next door to out theatre has a system that they can view from any computer with innernet access, i'll check with them on and see what it is all about and let you know what system they have.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2008 04:05 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The below photo was a capture from our new DVR. We've never had any problems within the neighborhood where our theater is located, and I still can't figure out why someone would choose to rob a concession stand at 8:00 PM at an open movie theater. The perp in the left of the photo pulled the gun after mulling around the concession stand for a while. He then instructed the employee to empty the drawer. I walked into the concession stand unaware of what was going on, and the two guys waiting at the stand also didn't know what was going on. From the vantage point of the person in the red shirt, he couldn't see the thief's gun behind the soda tower. The top of my head is in the bottom center of the photo. After she handed him the cash, he called me over and told me to "close the theater" and followed with a threat. I looked at him with confusion as to how he expected me to do that. He got freaked out and took off shortly after that. Luckily no one was hurt.

This is a perfect example of why security cameras are needed. The thief's picture is now plastered all over the news, with a vehicle description. I still can't see the logic behind the "close the theater" thing. It just doesn't make sense.

-

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2008 07:18 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! That's BRAZEN! I didn't even notice the gun in the picture at first, It wasnt until I looked really close at the guy! She should have kicked him in the jimmy [Smile] No actually, Is your employee ok? Has the company offered to provide her with a couple of sessions with a counselor? Having a gun pointed at you and a robber threaten your life can be very traumatic and I think it's the responsibility of an employer to offer counseling if an employee is traumitized at work. I also hope you rewarded this employee for doing the right thing for her safety and for the safety of everyone else in the building. It is far better to GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT instead of trying to be a hero. I always told my employees that if they fought with a robber I would terminate them as it is a direct violation of company policy and endangers every employee and guest in the building. Maybe it sounds harsh but with a lot of testosterone filled high school aged males I felt I had to make it very clear.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: