Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Working On A Film Set (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Working On A Film Set
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-13-2008 03:57 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there has been similar threads but I currently can't seem to find them... if so please direct this one to the appropriate thread.

Anyways, I'm wondering who has worked on a film set, your duties, info about the film, things you were expecting to happened but didn't, and just in general the experience of it all.

I am currently seeking interest on a film that my friend is participating in. He directed me to their management so I'm in talks with them to be a part of it as well. I wanted to get an idea of what to expect before I jump head first into this. Not a major position in the film of course... but you never know what could happen.

Oh yeah... It's an independent film in collaboration with Lionsgate.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-13-2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd best learn film set ettiquette first before embarking on the set!!! It can very definately mean the difference between being accepted or not on the set and by others working there.

I did not know set ettiquette at all when I worl4d on my forst film but I knew it well by the time I was on it for a few weeks.

See this link.... Set Ettiquette

Mark

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-13-2008 05:35 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Thanks a bunch Mark. [thumbsup]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2008 06:16 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On most film shoots there is a lot of "hurry up and wait". You may have a good amount of down time. Don't get frustrated, bring a book, but always be there (on set) ready to work. Don't make anyone go looking for you. When you are on the set TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE. A good skill to work on, is being able to get through a sea of "C" stands without running into any of them, and moving a light or flag.

Most film is shot with only one camera. The first shot is a wide shot called the "master". The main actors will be brought on to set, and they will rehearse the scene several times. The main actors will go away, and the stand-ins will take their place. At this point the lights and flags will be set. The main actors (the first team) will come back and run through the scene again, then shoot it several times. The first team goes away, and the stand-ins (the second team) comes back. Now close-ups will be shot of each actor, and maybe several two or three shots. For each shot, the lighting is done for THAT shot with the second team. Than the first team comes back. As you have figured out by now, this process is VERY time consuming.

On most film shoots, scenes are shot out of order. It is hard to figure out what a movie is about, until you see the finished film. But once you have gone through this process several times, you start to get the hang of it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-13-2008 06:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always close and lock at least one latch on equipment cases unless you are actively removing or replacing its contents. This will prevent someone from assuming that the case is latched, picking it up by its handle(s), and dumping its contents on the ground.

Get several maps of the area and keep them in your car. Use them. Don't get lost.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-13-2008 06:47 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good, very accurate, applicable to anybody on any job.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-13-2008 07:04 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just apply to the Production Manager for a job as a P.A. (production assistant). It's entry-level and you're pretty much on general gopher duty. However, you will learn so much about working on movies just by being there and observing. Soak it all up.

Good luck, sweetie! [beer] [thumbsup]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-13-2008 09:30 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I jumped into this whole thing sort of in the middle of pre-productions. So they already have PAs and all that good stuff.

I just got signed on to be the assistant set photographer. It's all pretty neat so far(totally stoked!), I signed on to their website and get to read all the pre-production jive. Their own little forum or what have you.. FYI, they are called Post Reel Pictures and Eloi Entertainment.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-13-2008 10:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does an assistant set photographer do? Do you actually take pictures, or is the job more about assisting the head photographer (carrying equipment, ordering film and supplies, etc.)?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-13-2008 10:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! The photographer gig is pretty neat. Better than an entry level job for sure. I actually highly reccomend that you DON'T look into being a P.A. as many of them end up JUST doing that job and it can be miserable long hours with little pay and no glory. You're already at a higher level... now just do your best to stay there and advance.

BTW: My years of working on location films was alot of fun and great pay but after over 40 films and countless other setups it got old and alot of traveling was involved... never at my expense though. Most films also get you first class hotel accomodations [thumbsup] Working on all the films that I did will allow me to retire at age 60 [thumbsup] , at least if this recession doesn't go depression!

Since I set up gear and often ran dailies it meant many long hours of waiting. One time I waited for John Hughes for over two days straight and was finally told late the second night to go home. They had finally figured out he wasn't going to watch some rough cut of his latest film. The funny thing was that I was told he was holed up writing a new script.... something he is very good at doing spontainously! I wasn't the only one kept there the entire time... the editorial department also had to stay.

Anyway, best of luck!

Mark

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-13-2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I'll find out more when the Key Still Photographer calls me and gives me the whole run down. I'm pretty sure I'll be assisting her... and taking additional shots as well. Since she is also the Key Makeup Artist... she might have her hands full at times.

[ 04-15-2008, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Jennifer Pan ]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-15-2008 07:26 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:
Looks like there are two more projects in the works aside from this one. Wow, this is a lot to take in just from reading their project board site. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Update 2:
On a side note... I just joined a little movie guild that consists of a core group of friends making shorts. So hopefully soon I'll work on some videos and ya'll can critique our silly projects.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2008 09:57 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Always close and lock at least one latch on equipment cases unless you are actively removing or replacing its contents.
This was one of the first things taught to me when I worked 2nd camera on a number of film shoots about 20 years ago. I still follow this practice today with film shipping cases in my projection room, and I insist that "the other guy" up there do the same. Just this past weekend I picked up a 4 reel case to move it and it wasn't latched as it should have been and the empty reels spilled out and bumped noisly down a staircase.
OK, so I should have looked a little more carefully at the latch before picking it up; but "the other guy" knows we have an "always latch-it" rule and he's going to get an ear-full from me next time I see him.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2008 06:47 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some other info you may find useful:

The ADs (assistant directors) are the people that "run" the set. They pass along the directors orders, and keep things moving along. When you hear them yell "ROLLING" stop what you are doing, and sit or stand still (science is golden when shooting sound). On some sets there will also be bells. One bell means rolling, two bells means cut. During rehearsal the director may also want relative quiet, so he can hear the actors.

If you are working with make-up, your job may be to take close-up pictures of the actors' make-up and hair, and head to toe shots of wardrobe. This is important because there may be a series of scenes where a guy is getting ready for a date, then picking up his date, then the two of them at dinner. These scenes will play back to back in the film, but may be shot weeks apart. The pix you take will be used to make sure that hair, make-up, and wardrobe match from scene to scene. You may also take shots of the set, so that if anything is moved, possibly to put the camera in a position to get a shot, everything can be put back in place after the shot. If you are shooting in some ones house, most of the time their furniture will be put into a warehouse, and brought back after the shooting. You will need to take pix of the house as it was to start, so that the furniture will be put back where it was.

You may take production stills of the actors on the set during rehearals, if you are asked to take pix while the camera is rolling, be very quiet, be careful not to cast shadows on the set, or end up IN the shot.

Dress comfortable but neat. Do not dres-up, you will look out of place. Totally open sandles are not a good idea on a film set.

Have fun Jen.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-16-2008 08:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, cool, Jen! You're already coming in at a skilled level - no need to bother with being a PA.

Go with it; observe, and learn! I'm proud of you. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: