Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Microsoft Office 2003 (on Windows XP)

Author Topic: Microsoft Office 2003 (on Windows XP)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2008 09:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to make it so that the "envelopes and labels" icon always appears in the toolbar at the top of the screen in Word? I've never had this not automatically be there in previous installs off of the same disc, so I must've done something stupid on this installation or I did something smart on past installs. I am getting really tired of having to add it, only to find it is no longer there after I restart the program or computer.

Likewise, how do I make the "getting started" go away? You would think Microsoft would have something in there where that would only show the first 10 times the program is opened.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2008 11:23 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click on the "Toolbar Options" icon {>>} on the far right of the toolbar. In the drop down menu go to "Add or Remove Buttons". In the drop down menu go to "Standard". Then go down and check mark "Envelopes and Labels".

As for the getting started dialog box, is there not a box to check mark to not show it again?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2008 11:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the routine I have to go through every time I start Word. The icon disappears with each restart of the program. [Mad]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2008 12:25 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there multiple user accounts on this pc?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-15-2008 12:43 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Likewise, how do I make the "getting started" go away?
In each Office 2003 application:
Tools > Options > View tab > Startup Task Pane checkbox

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-15-2008 12:52 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has been live for 3 hours...where the hell is Redifer with his smartass "too bad you're not using a Mac" comment?

Adam Martin

- posted 04-15-2008 01:05 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
it is no longer there after I restart the program
If your template file has become corrupt, you may need to delete it to reset it. Close Word and delete this file and then start Word:

c:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dot

You may need to replace the icon and restart Word again.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-15-2008 02:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adam, that seems to have done the trick! (At least now this is archived for future reference. [Wink] )

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-15-2008 04:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another niggly Office question: on Office 2007 (both under Vista and XP), how do you stop Word from deleting the name in the 'author' field in the document properties every time you save it?

Many thanks in advance...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-15-2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question too. In Excel, it always opens with the "Scroll lock" feature turned on. This only happens on one of the 4 computers I have Excel installed on....how to stop it? I've been thru all the help screens I can stand.

Adam Martin

- posted 04-15-2008 09:20 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
In Excel, it always opens with the "Scroll lock" feature turned on
Check to see if you have a startup macro that runs.

Insert > Name > Define

If Auto_Open is there, delete it.

Alternately, holding down the SHIFT key when starting Excel will suppress any startup macros.

Adam Martin

- posted 04-15-2008 09:49 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
deleting the name in the 'author' field
Open the above-mentioned default template file NORMAL.DOT with Word. It will appear as a blank document.

Navigate to:
Tools > Options > Security tab

and under "Privacy options" is a checkbox "Remove personal information from file properties on save". Uncheck it.

Save the template file.

I do not know if this template change will cause ALL documents handled to reset to this property or if it affects only documents CREATED by you. Either way, you can edit individual documents in the same manner. In Office 2003, this option is OFF by default. ymmv

PS - There is also a possibility that the privacy setting may be forced upon you by a registry setting pushed by your parent domain server and may reset on its own. GD paranoid admins.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-16-2008 09:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adam - that did the job. It's my home PC that does this, not my work one, so I guess the 'nuke personal information on save' option is on by default when Office '07 is installed.

Thanks again.

EDIT (the following day): The reason MS might have enabled this feature by default could be something to do with an embarrassing moment for the British government a few years ago (can't find it on Google - sorry). A department put some official report or other up on its website as a Word document, and some IT-literate journalist went poking around in the metadata. By activating the 'track changes' and 'view comments' feature, he uncovered some, shall we say, controversial revisions. Things like, 'the economy is totally fooked' had been replaced with 'the British economy faces some significant challenges', 'that git Blair' to 'our esteemed Prime Minister' etc. etc. Anyhow, they had fun with that in the paper, after which all government website downloads became sanitised and locked PDFs. So maybe MS made the 'scrub all metadata on save' option on by default in '07 in response to some paranoid customer feedback.

[ 04-17-2008, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Leo Enticknap ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: