Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ollie Johnston, The Last of the Nine Old Men from Disney has passed away

Author Topic: Ollie Johnston, The Last of the Nine Old Men from Disney has passed away
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-15-2008 05:43 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Last of the "Nine Old Men" from Walt Disney's Golden Age of Animation has died in Sequim, Washington at age 95. 1912-2008

This is just the short list of some of his works in animation.
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    Pinocchio
    Fantasia
    Bambi
    Song of the South
    Cinderella
    Alice in Wonderland
    Peter Pan
    Lady and the Tramp
    Sleeping Beauty
    One Hundred and One Dalmatians
    The Sword in the Stone
    Mary Poppins
    The Jungle Book
    The Aristocats
    Robin Hood
    The Rescuers
    The Fox and the Hound
And many other shorts for the Walt Disney company.
RIP
Thanks
Thanks [Smile]

[ 04-16-2008, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-15-2008 06:03 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea what his last film for Disney was?

quote: Bill Gabel
The Sword and the Stone
Should be 'The Sword in the Stone, unless it was released under a different title over there. This was the first film I saw, in 1963 I think, and this was not only my first visit to a cinema but also, after the show, my first visit to a projection room and my first experience of running a film projector.

I've got an early NTSC Lazerdisc of it somewhere, and the quality is terrible. The picture looks like it's been camcorder'd from a bad, worn and dirty 16mm library print, and the mono sound is distorted, but different on each track, which produces a strange effect if you play it in stereo. I think it's been released on DVD in more recent times.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-15-2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fox and the Hound in 1981 as Supervising Animator.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-15-2008 08:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we're getting picky about the titles, it should be "One Hundred and One Dalmatians" and "Pinocchio" and "The Jungle Book."

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2008 01:13 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a documentary about him and his long-time animator friend that Disney released in the early 90s. I want to own a copy of THAT on dvd. ("Frank and Ollie"?) These two were neighbors when the documentary was shot.
I only saw it once on the Disney Channel.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-16-2008 11:24 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ollie Johnston was prominently featured in a large, hardcover book about Disney animation released more than a decade ago. I don't know if the book is still available, but it is a great read.

Guys like Johnston are practically heroes and legends to anyone who has loved to draw pictures. Their skill level of draftsmanship and ability to capture the mannerisms and personality of the animals and other characters they depicted is amazing. The job of animator is a grueling, difficult job, but those guys made it look easy. It's also obvious they loved doing that hard work anyway and making a life of it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-16-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody at Disney was ever a hero to me. I liked Disney because of their smoothness of animation and the quality of their drawings, but man did their movies suck! They did get better when the 90's rolled around for a very brief moment in time with Aladdin. That was actually enjoyable. But then they failed again with Lion King.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2008 01:13 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought their recent decline started with Pocahauntis...or however you spell her name.
There was a decline starting with Sleeping Beauty, when Walt was getting distracted by Television and the theme park.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-17-2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FANTASIA sucked? Blasphemy!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-17-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Off topic]

I don't know what it is about Sequim but it seems EVERY old person retires there.

And in High School the band teacher always threatened that our "big trip" for the year would be taking up the invitation for the Sequim Irrigation Parade.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2008 04:37 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Ollie was residing in the LA area...he appeared to be in the documentary. That was in the early 90s, though.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2008 01:07 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[deleted, posted in wrong thread]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: