Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dwight "Bud" Orton (1935-2008)

Author Topic: Dwight "Bud" Orton (1935-2008)
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2008 08:55 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dwight "Bud" Orton passed away on Sunday morning April 13, 2008 at the age 73 in North Carolina after a short hospital stay. Because of Bud's numerous health issues over the years, he wanted to donate his body to Harvard Medical school after his death. Bud was originally from Massachusetts and was well know in the Boston area. He was owner of Orton Cinema Supply and also worked for Boston Culinary Group (BCG). He also had a passion for horses and dogs and is known throughout the country as an all around nice guy.
I've known Bud for the last 18 years and he is the person who picked out my dog Two-Tone and brought her to me from Pennsylvania. He will be missed.
A memorial service will be held at a later date and that info will be posted here.

Paul Goulet

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-17-2008 09:01 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry to learn of his passing. "Bud" was one of a kind. He will be missed.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-18-2008 12:39 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about Bud's passing... I only met him a couple times but he always seemed like a nice guy! [Frown]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-18-2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I sure knew the name.

Sorry to hear this.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2008 11:33 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim

Bud had friends who live in the Honeybrook,PA. area. I'm not sure how far that is from you though, but he always said it was a really nice area.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2008 12:53 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is very very sad. All my dealings with Bud were very pleasant, He certainly was one of a kind and did one of a kind work.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2008 11:57 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bud used to work for Esquire theatres. I first met him when they were opening some theatres in Utica, NY in 1967. Bud was a great guy. The circuit however was pretty crappy.
Bob

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2008 07:22 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Esquire Theaters was a Boston area chain? Does anyone else know their other locations?

I didn't get to know Bud until '86ish, but I did talk to someone who told me he was friends with Ralph Hoagland who was one of the original founders of the CVS chain.. Now I wish I had asked Bud more questions about his previous theatre dealings...

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Esquire was based in Boston. They did have a few NY state locations though.
Bob

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2008 09:21 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bud was a very close friend as well as a sort of mentor during my days in the business. He will be missed.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2008 03:44 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Were you there during the "Esquire" days?

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2008 11:15 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fall River Herald

Dwight E. Orton
Dwight E. (Buddy) Orton III, 73, passed away April 13 in N. Carolina after a lengthy illness. The son of the late Dwight E. Orton Jr. and M. Ruth (Burdette) Hale, and stepson of Lois M. Orton was born in Fall River. He resided in Westport, MA and Munroe, NC. His paternal grandparents the late Dwight E. and Mabel Orton raised him.
He leaves two brothers: Donald A. of Ft. Mill, SC and Richard T. of Westport; a sister Kathleen L. Coulombe of Fall River and Naples, FL. He also leaves a half brother Glenn S. Orton of Arcadia, CA, several nieces and nephews as well as his very dear friends William & Rosalinda Carvalho of Westport that he considered family. Bud was well known amongst horsemen from New England through Kentucky for his expertise in the care, training, riding and showing of horses. He also judged horse shows for many years. He became interested in field trial dogs and in 1983 won the New England open championship. Before retiring in 2000 he was employed for many years by Esquire Theaters of Boston as a construction manager. He then became owner of Orton Cinema Service & Supply Company in Boston supplying theaters with projection and theater equipment throughout the country. Friends & relatives are invited to attend a memorial service at the First Baptist Church, 228 North Main St., Fall River, Wednesday May 7 at 7 PM. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the First Baptist Church.

Bud Shepard
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2008 09:16 AM      Profile for Bud Shepard   Author's Homepage   Email Bud Shepard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was nice to see the great turnout last Wednesday night for Bud Orton's memorial service. Quite a few movie people there also, which made it special. I have always been in the shadow of Bud but it was an honor to meet and work with him these past few years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: